Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

What do our offspring ride?

2981 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  rob
Having read the "Introduce Yourself" thread I got to thinking. Given our predispositions to machinery, how have our children reacted to our passions. In my case, my son, Wolf, is more of a gearhead than I am. He's currently riding an '03 R6 and driving my old '89 BMW 325is that now has 300k mi. on it. Of course, he had to lower and stiffen the suspension, install Recaro seats and a racing type harness. Crazy kids! :) Here's the ultimate compliment though: Last November 4th how did he celebrate his 23rd birthday? He spent the day out riding.....on my 998. Smart boy.

bruce19
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Well, I guess I am the offspring and can definitely say that if I didn't watch my dad riding ever since I was in diapers I might not have gotten into the sport so quickly. He's "grown-up" from his Yam FJ1100 to Harleys, but still likes taking my bike out for a spin when I let him.

Having a parent that knows what its like to ride or any other activity you are into helps, especially when it comes to convincing them you NEED that first bike.

· Registered
5,188 Posts
Well my offspring have 2 rides, one is a motorcycle;

the other is a quad;

both 60cc and very small, I do occasionally race one against one of them (I have 4 boys) but I always lose due to the poor power to weight ratio - my garden is on a a steep hill; I will win downhill but on the return the weight is a severe handicap!

As regards being the offspring, my Dad used to ride bikes, in fact many years ago he raced a Norton 'Manx' 500 but at 75 yrs old he doesn't ride anymore although he occaisionally hints that he'd like a go on the 916. :)

· Registered
261 Posts
re

My son Parker had been begging me for a dirt bike since he was 5. We found a Yamaha PW80 that we just couldn't refuse. The guy selling it happend to be the Father of one of my wifes daycare kids. We worked out a deal 6 weeks of free day care for the bike. Is that bad that his mommy bought him his first bike? Oh well at least I got to have fun buying hime all the gear.
The best part is that now my wife insists that I get a dirt bike so that we can ride together. Score. I love my wife.
I'm looking a a new Yamaha TT125r. :yeah:

· MultiModerator
1,401 Posts
I got my oldest daughter when she was 8 a Honda XR50. She rode it around the yard for a while than sort of lost interest. I sold it over a year ago when the youngest showed no interest in bikes :(

Now my oldest in bugging my to let her ride the scooter (money from the XR50 sale). She's got an year until I'm comfortable with that. Both my girls though know most of the cars out on the road, well at least the expensive or bling ones.

· Registered
310 Posts
I am trying to introduce my son to the world of motorcycles. His world right now is the world of PLAYSTATION. I have to set all kinds of parameters on the box of melting mind. I am in the process of finding a cheap quad for him. Maybe a yamoto 50, yes a chinese import, but very affordable for a "test" of interest. He shows some interest in mechanics and will tinker with me occasionally in the garage!

· Registered
591 Posts
My daughter still rides in her hopped-up Eddie Bauer stroller from time to time. She has however been caught trying to ride my Duc. You can see her caught red-handed trying to take daddy's Duc for a spin here!

http://www.ducatidesigns.com/

OK, so she's only two years old!!!

· Registered
395 Posts
My son thinks vehicles are only for getting from A to B and back again.
I can't understand that concept.
But then his bank account is getting larger than mine...

· Registered
1,687 Posts
grinder96 said:
I am trying to introduce my son to the world of motorcycles. His world right now is the world of PLAYSTATION. I have to set all kinds of parameters on the box of melting mind.
when Tourist Trophy comes out in April....introduce him to that and maybe his interest will peak up a bit more!....especially if you play that with him on the PS2 and explain how graphically what he sees is similar or different to what you do on the track or street....engage him on his ground about your topic....it should work somewhat!

· Registered
310 Posts
zooom said:
when Tourist Trophy comes out in April....introduce him to that and maybe his interest will peak up a bit more!....especially if you play that with him on the PS2 and explain how graphically what he sees is similar or different to what you do on the track or street....engage him on his ground about your topic....it should work somewhat!
I did try that approach with a couple of rally games and a motorcycle game. He's not to into the car/bike games as much as the mystery/adventure/creation games. His two favs right now is star wars and sims, but he's my son so I won't give up!!
Thanks for the tip!

· Registered
1,588 Posts
I wasnt able to get bikes when my two boys were young. I rode alot before they were born, then I sold them all. When the kids got to be around 13 and 16, I was able to scape up some cash to buy some dirt bikes. I went to sand mountain once in Nevada and I was hooked. I bought a CR 500 for myself, a YZ80 for the youngest and a Suzuki RM 125 for the oldest. It took one trip to sand mountain for both of them to say they needed a bigger bike. So the YZ 80 didnt last to long. I sold it and bought a YZ 250 and now they fight over it, since no one wants to ride the 125 in the sand, and the 500 is my bike. But I let them both ride it now. We all kinda rotate on all of the bikes. I plan on getting a Honda or Yamaha 450F for dirt and sand riding.

I let my oldest ride my hopped up monster, but we had a bit of problem a few years ago. I was on a business trip and forgot to lock the keys away, which I always did back then. Course the temptation was too much, and he took it out and it didnt take him five minutes to get caught speeding down the boulevard, without a license to boot. Cost him plenty to get out of that one.

I firmly believe if the kids are going to ride on the street, to let them get alot of time in the dirt. Dirt riding teaches you alot about handling a bike. You get alot of experience falling down! You learn balance and how to react quickly.

Here is a pic of the oldest on the monster at the track.
http://gotbluemilk.com/web050603/d/imagepages/image39.html

Am also including a pic of the youngest at sand mountain on the 500.

Mike

Attachments

· Registered
1,687 Posts
grinder96 said:
hey zoom, I just looked up tourist trophy, That game looks awesome!!! Forget the boy I may have to get that for me!!
I played a demo version of it today at the IMS Cycle World Show....and WOW!...that game IS AWESOME!

· Registered
65 Posts
My son, age 28 has been disinterested for the most part in street bikes. Of course it doesn't help that he laid in coma for 2 weeks after being rear ended by an SUV driver who claimed her brakes failed launching him over 100ft across the intersection while riding an Aprilia Tuono that still had paper plates. The fact that the police investigators found the SUV brakes were fully functional but that her cell phone was in use at time of incident REALLY upset me! Anyway, he still loves bikes but sticks to dirt on either a KTM 200SX or YZ450F. He did however inform me he has a deposit on the new Daytona 675 which he says he may ride on street but is primarily going to be for track use. I'm sooooo jealous, I may put a deposit on one myself after he showed me the stats and some pics. I'm just not sure I can fit on the thing. While he is actually 2" taller, he's extremely limber and lean at 180lbs, compared to my 6'2" 230lb build.

My daughter, 33, has an XT225 Yammy and a Triumph Bonnie T100 that is an absolute blast. Her husband has a Sprint ST, another Bonnie T100 and a WR450F. Their 9 year old son has a YZ125, the 7 year old is on a TTR90? and my 4 year old grandson got a PW50 from Santa this year. The only person in family who doesn't ride is my wife....she does the cooking for a hungry mob at end of day! Take care.

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Here's a pic of my "offspring" riding:

Just the 3 year old:

Just the 13 year old:

The 3 year old rides with Dad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.