Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My first official post (apart from the intro)... :D.

I am hunting for a new set of wheels presently, which got me thinking.
I am a returning rider (38 y.o.) and have not ridden for 10 years. Previously I have ridden 250 two strokes and up to 600cc without any drama, for a 6 year period (i.e. no accidents - am a risk averse rider).

I want to start test rides shortly before making a purchase. This got me thinking - being out of riding for a while, and having never ridden a ducati, what advice can you please give me of what to look out for in relation to the bike on the day of the test ride: e.g. brakes grab sharply, accellerates quick, turns in sharply etc (looking to buy a 748).

Have looked at other threads on the 748 but after explicit advice and wanting to tap into others experience.

Thanks in advace for your responses.

Kind regards

Tim

·
Temporary greeter
23,088 Posts
Good luck getting someone to let you ride their 748, especially if they know you haven't ridden in 10 years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just bought a 996 a few months ago so I'll throw a few things out there.
First off, look for the obvious stuff like any road rash or any odd zip ties, loose wires. Odd bolts. (That sort of stuff)
Check the oil level, that says a lot about the owner and how the bike was taken care of. The beauty of our models is that everything is a quick release or easy to get to. I would tell you to check the rockers but obviously that isn't happening so you'll just have to guess. I'm not sure if you can pull the screen with oil in the bik but if you can then pull te oil screen and look for metal shavings. Pull the battery side fairing off and look at the wires on that side for any corrosion. Check tire pressure, again it says a lot about the owner and how the bike was cared for. Look at the tires as well and see if there are chicken strips. You won't find them on my bike because I am flogging it and using it for what it was designed for. If there are flat or bald spots that's a good indicator of how it was ridden. Check for play in the steering and slack in the chain as well. Most of what I am listing is just basic maintenance and if neglected could be issues for you down the road. Check suspension of course. Now for the motor, use your ears and ass. If it idles smooth that's a good start. If it runs well and your ass slides back when you open the throttle, that's good as well. (A smile inside the helmet is also acceptable). The motor is a real treat on these bikes but its also a worry point when it comes to parts. Unless he has receipts for service, I would expect to find bad rockers and valves in need of adjustment.

Just buy it and love it, you won't regret it but expect it to be a hassle sometimes!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why a 748? Get an entry level (and plentiful) 750-900 ss model. They are easy to maintain with only 2 easy valves to adjust, air cooled machines. If you dig that, then you can delve into the more complicated bikes. No?

·
Registered
429 Posts
What do I look out for on a ducati 748 test ride?

...cops

·
Registered
552 Posts
What do I look out for on a ducati 748 test ride?

...cops
Awesome!

Look at the brakes too. Lots of people focus on the "go" part of a test ride, but make sure the brakes "stop" work well before you get it up to highway speed.
Any pulsing? It might need rotors. Or they might just need to be cleaned up.

Oh, and take your time. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts