Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1581 - 1587 of 1587 Posts

·
Official Retired Person
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,581
Got it!

Found an appropriate bolt but could not loosen the cover using it. Tried shaping an old screwdriver but quit cause it just looked like I was going to create a disaster with it.

Sat down looking at the damn thing. Maybe some kind of puller? Nothing in my collection was going to work. So, I made a special puller. Short piece of angle iron. Drilled a slightly oversized hole so the bolt would spin in it, threaded a nut on the bolt & screwed the bolt into the cover, placed some scrape pieces to space the angle iron away from the cover and slowly run the nut down the bolt.

Nut pushes on angle iron, angle iron pushes on spacers, cover moves (it's dumb ass off the head)!

Thanks guys.

I'll post a pic later. Stupid phone doesn't like my browser.

Attachments

·
Official Retired Person
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,582
OK so the photo posted. Don't know how I did that. Phone is still stupid!

Reactions: fastfinch

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
170 Posts
What kind of paint did you use? Also why did you go with the matte style paint and not gloss? From my experience its a bit harder to care for and make it look good. All the grease and spots are more visible on it.

·
Official Retired Person
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,586
@fastfinch : The paint is high temp engine paint, rattle can style. It turned out more of a matte finish than I was expecting. I only did it because the rest of the bike is silver and black and, I could not find an acceptable (to me) match or compliment to the engine. Agreed it is going to show a lot of crud but those covers are right out thereFactorytch the crud anyway.

One day, maybe, I'll make a project out of refinishing the engine. Factory paint sucks.

Reactions: Riderjeff

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
170 Posts
@fastfinch : The paint is high temp engine paint, rattle can style. It turned out more of a matte finish than I was expecting. I only did it because the rest of the bike is silver and black and, I could not find an acceptable (to me) match or compliment to the engine. Agreed it is going to show a lot of crud but those covers are right out thereFactorytch the crud anyway.

One day, maybe, I'll make a project out of refinishing the engine. Factory paint sucks.
Yea I agree, whoever thought it was a good idea to paint the engine should no longer work there. Its not even high temp engine paint from what I see. I powdercoated my covers gloss back and they are holding up quite nicely.

1581 - 1587 of 1587 Posts