Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

4621 - 4640 of 4649 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bars are wider than the bags, don't see the benefit.
1 - I can see my bars (or mirrors, in this case).
2 - If you have to turn to maneuver around a car, the rear tracks inside the bars. And you can't see how much.

Having the rear be narrower than the bars has significant advantages. That's why cop bikes have narrower bags.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Top case is a lot more handy to pack and unpack.

Just a comparison, how do you pack your normal suitcase; horizontal or vertical?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Top case is a lot more handy to pack and unpack.

Just a comparison, how do you pack your normal suitcase; horizontal or vertical?
I can easily take the side cases off the bike and pack them whatever way I want.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@iamzombie I agree with your idea of removing the side cases to pack them. I also use liners and pack the liners however I want. They easily stow in the panniers. When I had my 2017 SuperSport I always removed the panniers. On the 1260 S I remove the liners. I don't like the look of the top case and thought long and hard about buying a top case. Now that I have a top case I prefer using it. It is way more functional. I also like being able to put my full face helmet and gloves in the top box when I stop for gasoline or some other reason. I also find that with a top box I am using the motorcycle for more errands rather than the car.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm lucky enough that my Shoei RF1200 (large) fits in the left hand pannier. I get that top boxes are convenient, but personally I wouldn't run one on a scooter, let alone an italian work of art :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
@iamzombie Panigales and SuperSports are definitely a "work of art". I love my Multistrada, but it is far from being a work of art. It took me a long time to even like how it looks. I am happy you find the panniers to be the best solution for you, but as bad as the top box looks it didn't make the Multistrada that much less attractive. It's strength is functionality, riding pleasure, comfort and performance. I would still have my SuperSport if I was more concerned about beauty than the advantages of the 1260S.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I didn't buy my Multi to look at, but to ride it. The topbox makes it a great commuter for my 70mi round trip. Part highway at 85mph, part splitting where the interstates merge, part surface streets and filtering.

It lets me ride it whenever I want, wherever I want. Lots to be said for that.

·
Registered
658 Posts
View attachment 1006965

We took a dirt road to the top of Palomar mountain in Southern California on Sunday. My first time taking her off road. What a blast! We did about 350 miles in total.
Wow, that Guzzi (at least I assume it's a Moto Guzzi, not that familiar with them) must be massive! It looks huge compared to the Multi and GS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Need to get my '14 out on some non paved roads. do you all normally change the settings to enduro or just leave it in touring?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put my '11 in Enduro if it's hilly to disable DTC or else it is too intrusive.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I set it to Enduro for this dirt road to disable traction control and ABS, and reduce power. I had no issues with front grip, but the Scorpion Trails were not hooking up under acceleration. I was trying to be gentle, but still roosting my buddy who was following.
On pavement I run Touring with the engine curve set to high. I’ll sometimes switch to urban around town.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Need to get my '14 out on some non paved roads. do you all normally change the settings to enduro or just leave it in touring?
I'd say it would depend on how "non paved" the road is... on gravel or compacted dirt roads I just leave it in Touring, unless you're going to need ABS off on the rear wheel I don't think there's much point to Enduro mode personally.

·
Registered
269 Posts
On pavement I run Touring with the engine curve set to high. I’ll sometimes switch to urban around town.
I changed the Urban setting to get full power, use Urban in the city. Lower to the ground, more supple, soaks up potholes and cobblestones much better.

·
31 Posts
I'd say it would depend on how "non paved" the road is... on gravel or compacted dirt roads I just leave it in Touring, unless you're going to need ABS off on the rear wheel I don't think there's much point to Enduro mode personally.
Hit a 3rd world road north of Mexican Hat, Utah yesterday. Single lane without guard rails and a 1,000+ ft drop. Did not plan on it, last minute warning sign after a 25 mile stretch of great pavement. It was 3 miles of a 10% grade down. Lots of puckering with my PR5's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@hubduc I did that same route into Mexican Hat a couple of years ago on my 2017 Ducati SuperSport. It was a thrill that I plan to repeat on my Multistrada next Saturday.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
775 Posts
Hit a 3rd world road north of Mexican Hat, Utah yesterday. Single lane without guard rails and a 1,000+ ft drop. Did not plan on it, last minute warning sign after a 25 mile stretch of great pavement. It was 3 miles of a 10% grade down. Lots of puckering with my PR5's.
View attachment 1007261
That spot is called the Moki Dugway and is well known for catching folks out...despite the giant signs. First time I did that was in '04 on an ST1300 and I found out at the first switchback that my brakes were linked...you wanna talk pucker?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Fitted my new just delivered after 10 weeks QD exhaust on to the 950. Sounds quite good, but looks great.

4621 - 4640 of 4649 Posts