Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to lighten and lower the center of gravity on my '95 900ss/cr. Where did you target your weight loss?

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,363 Posts
Not really going to be targeting the weight loss in any one specific area on my CR Mark,gonna be more or less spreading the love all around.

OZ Piega rims with BrakeTech Axis/Cobra full floating rotors.
Metmachex aluminum swingarm.
Beater aluminum fuel tank.
PEO Zero Point hollow front axle.
Lightened,polished,and balanced SPS/R crank conversion with Carrillo H-beam rods.
Ditched the speedo drive,tach & speedo cables,and heavy stock analog gauges and went with thinline electronic GPS Speedhut gauges with 8 screen LCD display in the speedo and programmable shift light LED's in the tach.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Light weight floating discs with alloy buttons and composite friction material, alloy front axle and nut
Light weight carbon wheel set from Dymag - comes complete with a light weight chain ring and cush drive
Carbon body work including front guard, rear hugger, rear tail tidy, composite fairing set and tank.
2-1 exhaust system using 1mm 625 Inconel tubing will cut a whopping 10kg from the bike.
Light weight crank carrillo rods and pistal pistons.
Redesigned flywheel and flywheel mount - 3 kgs lighter than standard
alloy clutch basket housing with light weight plates
replace as much plastic with carbon fibre
replace as many steel components with 7075

I have managed to shed 40kg's of my bike and I am still going. The first and biggest weight loss was the exhaust.

how far do you want to go???

·
Registered
19 Posts
From a bang for the buck point of view the lithium battery would be best plus it is weight that is high on the machine. After that, it has been said how much money do you want to spend? I dropped $2k on forged alloy wheels which saved nine pounds total. A lot of cash for sure but they help the handling and are quite a visual improvement from those unsightly Brembo three spokers

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have been working on my 900 since the day I bought it in April of 98.
So far:
BST wheels, Braketech ductile iron Axis rotors, Brembo billet GP calipers
Ohlins R/T forks, Penske shock carbon front fender, Cycle cat triple clamp Speedhut speedo, dumped stock gauges and speedo drive, Brembo radial clutch and brake master cylinders, Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets
Ben Fox lightened polished crank, Carillo rods JE pistons, MBP ported heads with OS valves
Split Kehein FCR 41mm carbs with pod air filters, dumped the battery carrier and air box
Aluminum slipper clutch, lightened clutch case and aluminum clutch cover
2-1-2 underseat SS exhaust from Doug Cook
Fiberglass seat and fairing with aluminum Motoholder fairing bracket
Shorai battery with cut down race wiring harness, just the bare minimum for ignition, starting and charging

Attachments

Reactions: jooced

·
Registered
869 Posts
My exhaust was built by Doug Cook from Arc Fabrications however they are no longer in business.
Take a look at Stradafab they are building exhaust for a number of Ducati models

·
Registered
589 Posts
front wave rotors will drop 2 1/2 lbs off stock rotors...then wheels my technomag front wheel weighs 4 1/2 lbs 6 lbs less that stock
also run a 160 tire on a

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What brand rotors did you use? That's a lot of weight savings!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I build my own but at the moment I am negotiating with a new company the manufacture of the bends and a couple of other fixtures for the pipes to be built. Made the originals from 304ss but have changed them quite a bit over the past 3 years. The one that I build now is as light as you will ever get with it been 1mm thick - lighter than a titanium pipe and stronger to boot. I am working on a light weight GP style muffler at the moment but this is still in the testing/development phase.
I also manufacture 7075 t6 rotors that can be used to make full floaters as per the picture. After a bit of pressure from a couple of people that I know I also have a lighter profile which is based on the Brembo superbike shape. If you measure up the outside diameter of your original carrier you may be able to convert your original discs by drilling out the centers of the disc buttons and swapping the friction material onto a new carriers. The new floating disc buttons/bobins are available from Motowheels. Whole assembly can take a crap load of weight out of the discs, as much as putting a lightweight set of wheels alone but at a fraction of the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Marvic Penta wheels made the biggest difference. ETI fuel cell dropped over 8 lbs from the top of the bike. Lithium battery dropped about 5.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Yer gonna bring'm both on the 8th, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts