Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

What did I just buy?

4K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Jevincj 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 1996 900ss has msd ignition like car size and 2 spark plugs per cylinder. How common is that. Also polished or chromed factory wheels. No too hip on ducs as much as I’d like to be.

#6 ·
Yes a picture of the heads will tell a lot. I would guess it has many internal mods so it could be anywhere from a build project in great shape to a clapped out former race bike. Dual plugging 900 motors is not uncommon mod from the period ( I own 2 sets) but it often was only done to very built motors. You may want to take a very close look as I would expect to see cams, porting and big pistons on something modded so.

I have little first hand knowledge of the MSD ignition though I may own a set I ended up with, not sure there is paperwork with it but I can look if need be.

Nice score most likely but please start by giving us some detailed pictures and details on the rest of the bike. Someone doing that to a motor probably did not leave the rest alone either.

#9 ·
900 SS CR with SP rotors (full-floating, cast iron; an upgrade). MSD box running the ignition instead of the stock ignition modules. Battery's been moved (wtf?) to make room for said MSD box.

#10 ·
Honestly, it's a bit of a mess. But, you have all winter to strip it, fix it, and put it back to right. What were/are your plans?

#12 ·
Original Brembo wheels that have had the rims polished. Easily 'fixed' by sandblasting and repaint. Original Mikuni BDST carbs (likely with jet kit installed - 'Stage 3'). Dual plugged heads = no way of knowing what's inside. CR model non-adjustable fork and steel swingarm. It should have a 4.5" rear wheel but could have the SP model's 5.5".

#13 ·
Not sure yet. Get it running first off. That is the on in your post. It needs some attention for sure but he made me buy it. The wheels are not to my taste. It does need a little repair on the frame at the neck gusset very small cracks less than 1/4 inch.

#15 ·
The SS frames of that vintage cracked in that area with fair regularity. Common. Easy enough to repair. Search the forum/web for more info.

#16 ·
As mentioned it is a CR model and there certainly is not much changed on the chassis. The Sp iron rotors should be inspected carefully at the lightening holes for cracks. I am not sure what the bolts below the new plug holes are for, the bolt head size almost looks like they changed their mind on where to put the plugs.

The studs appear to have been have been changed (not chrome) and that could be a huge plus. They would have done it at the time the heads were off, what we do not know is what else was done. that is a lot of work to a CR that does not have much else done to it. I would check the VIN date and compare it to the engine number just to see if they are the same model and year.

If you pull the plugs and turn the motor over look for domes on the pistons, oem is pretty flat and all aftermarkets have a decent size dome. A scenario would be they broke a stud and while changing studs they threw in hi-comp pistons and then put in the dual plugs and adjustable timing to control detonation.

If you pull the carbs look to see if the heads are ported but try and not remove the intake manifolds as they may be port matched. If you pull the left side cam end caps you may need new gaskets but there will be a code on the cam to tell if it has cams. It (The engine) as does not look like a racer as some of the fin dampers are still there and that is a big no-no with open belt covers they were running. Sorry it is me but I would tear it down before doing much else, unless you can find the person/shop that did the work.

I guess the MSD was bought before the ignitec units were around or it was a builder more versed in other brands (harley/bmw) that might have assumed it needed dual spark. Hard to tell if it was a pro job or simply someone with a drill press and a dream. The battery location is not uncommon for racers of the period, but it does look a little low and forward. No idea if the MSD unit is a benefit or not That does look like the one I have but I have not tried it.

Not all good or bad at this point but mostly a starting point for a major project. If you were simply looking for a carby supersport then all is fixable but the changes could make this one have unique problems which will be harder for others to help you along the way.

#17 ·
Yes it is a strange one. Also noticed it has tube inserts in the intake along with plugs for carb synchronizing not sure if it’s stock doesn’t look to be just drilled and tapped. They did a hodgepodge job of mounting coils. I’ll get into this deeper in the next couple of weeks. Need to finish up another project. The guy I got it from said his brother raced it in Italy. No convinced with street set up on it. Should be interesting hopefully more fun than not. Thanks for the input.

#19 ·
tube inserts in the intake
Not sure what these are pictures would help.

The motor was modified we know, anything else is just clues. This is some of the fun/pain of buying a used bike and a modified bike is always a bigger can of worms. No fear though as about everything on that bike can be changed or repaired if the desire if there.

#22 ·
Engine = LC4 is a 900ss and The T= 1996

Frame# T also matches 1996 so the engine is at least from the same year and model of bike.

I would bet they were a match from day one. this adds to the mystery of a modified motor and a relatively stock chassis. I don't buy the pod filters and stock pipes i bet someone sold off the slip ons separate and put the oem back on. Is it wrong I want you to take the engine apart just so I know whats inside...lol

#24 ·
The mufflers do look like they were fudged with just by looking inside. Just weird someone would spend the money on the dual plug mod and do such a hack job on mounting coils and not mounting the msd correctly. I’m probably going to throw plugs in it and see if it fires. The guy promised me it ran but I didn’t look to see if he had his fingers crossed.

#25 ·
It also looks like the base gaskets are tin style not sure if that means much. The belts also look new. I’ll keep you posted. So on the serial numbers they had a pile of engines and a pile of frames and just grabbed them and stuck them in and didn’t care about matching them if there was even a match.

#26 ·
I havent tried it, but I can't imagine the CV mikuni carbs will work very well without an airbox and without their diaphragm breather hoses once the bike gets up to speed.

And yes I would definitely pull those pulleys and belt tensioners off and de-rust or replace before starting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.