Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100, 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, 1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may seem like a totally lame and ignorant post/question, but can you tell from this pic what type of clutch is in my 2009 Hypermotard 1100? I got this bike not too long ago, and don’t really know the history. Does this look like the stock clutch from the factory? Is this an aftermarket clutch? A slipper clutch? It works and feel great. Just trying to get some info for owner knowledge and future reference as needed.
Thank you for your help!

Motor vehicle Product Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
562 Posts
As you're letting off the clutch while riding.... Does it "pulse"..... Can you feel it pushing against your fingers.... If so then it might be a slipper.... That's what mine does...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
The other way is to pull it apart... If the pressure plate has teeth round the edge it's a normal clutch.... Mine is smooth...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Without taking it apart determining a slipper or not it looks like your basic 12 tang friction plates, aftermarket pressure plate, spring washer & zinc plated socket head capscrew clutch to me (probably Chinese) but that open cover looks like it has enough aluminum in it to hold the bike up.

·
Registered
2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100, 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, 1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies, guys. It looks likes a toothed basket, so yeah, I guess it’s just dressed-up. I saw “STM” and thought it might be something else. Yes, the cover is overkill. The clutch feels great, but there‘s no pulsing feel as mentioned, nor does it modulate the rear wheel from shimmying around under load as I have read slipper clutches do. Bikes is great, clutch feels good. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Thanks for your replies, guys. It looks likes a toothed basket, so yeah, I guess it’s just dressed-up. I saw “STM” and thought it might be something else. Yes, the cover is overkill. The clutch feels great, but there‘s no pulsing feel as mentioned, nor does it modulate the rear wheel from shimmying around under load as I have read slipper clutches do. Bikes is great, clutch feels good. Thanks!
What @comfysofa was referring to is the back of the pressure plate, on a slipper clutch it's smooth, on a std clutch it has teeth which mesh with the inner clutch hub on the same spline as the steel plates of the clutch pack when assembled.

If you disassemble it you will see a slot on one of the 6 posts on the hub that the springs sit over, that lines up with a mark on the pressure plate, should be a dot on the STM cover, they need to line up when you put it back together!

What you have looks to be a std clutch (Not a slipper) but with an STM pressure plate, stainless steel springs and anodised spring caps with stainless bolts that hold them in place, all good stuff, especially with an open cover as it looks pretty but it's all much more resistant to rust which the std springs will do very quickly.

The cover is a Speedymoto "Flow" and they are renowned for being very crash worthy, nothing worse than falling on the RHS and tearing up the clutch to the point you can't ride home because your flimsy lightweight cover has been destroyed, that won't happen with that one!

All in all it's a good set up (y)

·
Registered
790 Posts
That's what footpegs & frame sliders are for.........running outta talent & eating shit not the clutch cover.

Reactions: chris_f
1 - 9 of 9 Posts