Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyway with all the lean fuel issue and jerky riding characteristic of the street fighter. What can the Ducati do you and me their customers? This is my first Ducati and i have to say this from the heart I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER DUCATI EVER AGAIN. as much as i love their unique styling but functionality wise is terrible. I mean you have to get your ecu flash and change your front sprocket and ect. ect. I know there is some hardcore die hard Ducati fans out there that would like to say "then you should have gotten a honda" "or some of you would like to say " hey Ducati build bikes for the track" its just a lie you want to tell your self. i mean if a bike that is built for the track should run awesome on the street. am i right? I hope once the merger between Audi and Ducati is complete and the German step in and show these Italian how to built a decent bike. sorry about talking %hit just needed to let it all out.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I know they are sorta faulty bikes but have you ridden it out of your neighborhood yet? They do have certain characteristics that make them worth while...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think they're all like that. All I have done to my SF (1098S) is fit some aftermarket Mufflers. The ECU is stock and the bike runs great.

For the record I haven't yet come across a litre sportbike that is nice to ride at 35mph or slower!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
i mean if a bike that is built for the track should run awesome on the street. am i right?
Any vehicle, two wheel or four, built for the track will be a handful on the street...you're very naive if you think otherwise.

Just get the 14t and have your ECU mapped like the rest of us have done and be happy, or sell the bike. The factory has done it's best to provide you with an exciting machine while adhering to government regulations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You bought a bike with 2 pistons the size of coffee cans, running at 12-1 compression with hotter than normal cams and weighs around 400lbs and you expect it to be docile and smooth?

Go drive a NASCAR car in rush hour traffic and bitch because you can't hear the stereo.

Go fly a P-51 and then complain because it doesn't have inflight entertainment.

Take your family out on the lake in a drag boat and then complain because there are no cupholders.

Obviously, you didn't know what you were buying and thought going on a forum full of people that did, would get you some sympathy.

Sorry about talking "%hit" just needed to let it all out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm guessing you just bought the bike for looks rather than actually doing your research. Ducatis are V-Twins (like Harleys) which gives them the jerky movements. To me, the things you're complaining about are just part of a Ducati's character, which makes it unique. Like anything, you have to get used to it. You probably should've taken one for a test ride before buying it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Either you are a troll or a "new" squid.. there is no way you are keeping the bike at 2,000 to 4,500 rpms.. either that or you have no idea on how to ride a bike... or did you complained to your I4 manufacturer for lack of pull at low rpms?

·
Hammer Down
1,703 Posts
Yeah let's see how great things are with Audi on board. The Germans make great bikes that never have quirks. I'm thinking troll on this unknown prince...what's in a name anyway?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
148 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it this guy does have a valid point, like it or not. For the money you shell out for this stunning machine you shouldn't have to perform ECU voodoo just to get her ride like it should from the factory. This is not my first motorcycle, nor is it the fastest or even the best handling...but it is the worst performing machine I've owned when cruising below 4,000 RPM. There is no excuse. The "STREET" fighter is not bred for the track, it's bred for the street. Just like all of the other full fairing squid bikes out there that have superbike power-plants that seem to run just fine out of the box. Come on, I shouldn't have to dance all over my clutch while surging along through a residential neighborhood. All-in-all I do love my SF. I'm definitely committed at this point and I will be shelling out the extra cash to fix the fueling, but that doesn't mean that I'm not fucking pissed about it. If Ducati intends to steal business from the other manufacturers by increasing maintenance intervals and lowering price points then I think they missed the mark here. If this is what I have to look forward to then I may be looking elsewhere when the time comes to buy another machine. I'm far too busy to deal with this shit. You can go ahead and flame me until you vagal out...doesn't bother me. It is what it is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Finally. One with sense. Yes the bike should run fine at 3-4500 rpm without surging. I give a rats butt if it's Ducati, or some other Italian bred bike. The motor was designed for the track, but detuned for the street. Thus the moniker. The ECU is tuned to pass emissions and not low rpm rideability. A purchase that expensive should be trouble free and not requiring modification. At least the abduct does have character over I4s.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it this guy does have a valid point, like it or not. For the money you shell out for this stunning machine you shouldn't have to perform ECU voodoo just to get her ride like it should from the factory. This is not my first motorcycle, nor is it the fastest or even the best handling...but it is the worst performing machine I've owned when cruising below 4,000 RPM. There is no excuse. The "STREET" fighter is not bred for the track, it's bred for the street. Just like all of the other full fairing squid bikes out there that have superbike power-plants that seem to run just fine out of the box. Come on, I shouldn't have to dance all over my clutch while surging along through a residential neighborhood. All-in-all I do love my SF. I'm definitely committed at this point and I will be shelling out the extra cash to fix the fueling, but that doesn't mean that I'm not fucking pissed about it. If Ducati intends to steal business from the other manufacturers by increasing maintenance intervals and lowering price points then I think they missed the mark here. If this is what I have to look forward to then I may be looking elsewhere when the time comes to buy another machine. I'm far too busy to deal with this shit. You can go ahead and flame me until you vagal out...doesn't bother me. It is what it is.
Reminds me of quite a few similar posts made in this forum about the F1098 when it first came out in 2009...deja vu all over again.

No flame intended...:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Noobs as i may be but i know what functionally is. what im trying to state with this post is why do you guys put up with this shit from ducati?! oh its de-tune so it can pass emission. weak ass excuse. that a fucking easy way out for Italian's engineering. fuck i dont even live in CA and the bike come with a charcoal canister. another mod i have to do to make this "track bike" a track bike. and for those who think jerky movement make ducati unique. i suggest they find a better example. here one for you. they pull out of the fucking corner like no other liter bike in its class and how they sound while doing it that makes ducati unique. here what i think and take this with a grain of salt. ducati main objectives. 1. sell bike that have all necessities but place in few restrictions and tell they that what makes ducati unique. matter fact just sell them bikes with two tires and engine and let the consumer built the bike for us. that half the job done. 2. make consumers spend more money in parts and softwares upgrade to remove the restrictions(they are going to do it anyway) 3. sell to the highest bid(Audi/VW).

p.s. its only silly money anyway

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
The engineers at Ducati obviousy know exactly what they are doing. If reflashing or bazzazing the chip for a few hundred dollars can fix the problem, does anyone really think that Ducati couldn't do it also. Of course they could. In fact, they get these big, superbike style, twin enigine machines, into our hands in the absolute very best (well, almost very best) condition they possibly can, WITHIN THE LEGAL LIMITS, set forth by our mostly mindless, usually dangerous to the well being of her citizens, and stunningly impossibly mentally retarded government officials who describe and set forth our Emission's Standards whatsits whatever you call-um call-ums, thus, really screwing up the bikes.

To the guys who get caught off gaurd and were never going to chip and pipe... YES it IS disapointing they dont run like the dream you had in your head right out of the box. It DOES suck that that you might have to shell out $500 to put it right. I think it would be impossible for a new guy to know everything he wanted to know before purchasing any of the race bred italian exotics. I remember when Ferarri and Porshe went through similar issuess in the 80's. Okay, now I am rambling.

Just fix your bike and get going.

Its still all good.
Actually its the best.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I don't think they're all like that. All I have done to my SF (1098S) is fit some aftermarket Mufflers. The ECU is stock and the bike runs great.

For the record I haven't yet come across a litre sportbike that is nice to ride at 35mph or slower!
Try the Speed Triple. I would coast at 2500 rpm no problem.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
He has SOME valid pionts...
I think every new motor can be made to run better, than what comes from the factory...
Just put a K&N filter or cold air intake on just about any vehicle and you will get improvements...

YES Blame the epa and your countrys restrictions , for choked up motors...
Seems to be enviormentalists that will spend huge amounts of money to make the world a better place . They want to scrap old motors at a HUGE cost to save a few liters of fuel...

I suggest that the OP be prepared to take his bike to a GOD MECHANIC that KNOWS what they are doing and get a quote to get the bike running properly and add that into the price of the bike..
All dealers should set the bikes up properly ,I think many are just in the buisness for profit ONLY , There are dealers that care about delivering a quailty good running bike...

I have been disapointed by LOTS of car dealers , they will never see another nickle of mine...
Get yourself to a GOOD mechanic and pay up and forget about it and ride and enjoy the GOOD running bike...
Do what needs to be done in reguards to fuel and Maintinence...

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
I just skimmed over his other posts and he is Frustrated with poor running in certain conditions, Some Buyers remorse perhaps...
He needs some help , and answers he is probably not getting at the dealer is not satisfying at the least...
I suggest you owners in his area advise on where to go and aid in his desire to have a good running bike...

It can be frustrating to spend a LOT of money , and get a sub par running bike...
Help a fella out ...
The way he states his opinions is understandable , I would tend to be crass if I felt I was being taken advantage of...
Where is the best place to go to get this sorted out???
(without switching brands)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.