Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here, could not find any useful info on this for FI supersports.
So, what brand/viscosity oil does everyone use in their supersport. With so may choices out there I would appreciate some opinions. :confused:
I was thinking of Castrol Activo 15W-40.
BTW I have a 1999 ie

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Amsoil V-Twin 20W50 in both bikes. If I ever had to change though, I would switch to Mobil 1 V-twin 20W50.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Shell Advance SX 4.. Standard Semi Synthetic 15 W 50..

Then again I live about 600 miles from the tropic of Capricorn.. so the temps are warmer than most places you guys live..

I also change it every 2 500km.

Oil is cheap insurance.

Mal

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
OKQ8 Superbike 15-50W fullysynthetic oil.

Not sold outside Sweden that i know about, but it´s VERY good. 44.000 km´s (27.000 miles) and about 10000 km´s (~6000 miles) are trackuse. Not a singel rocker has flaked on my 748!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
has anyone used the Royal Purple stuff?? I have a customer trying to get me to use it.. but at AUD $28 per litre I am unsure. They claim over 4-5 HP increase by oil alone.. I don't need the horsies that much... but it's supposed to be good. Ever heard of it??

Mal

·
Registered
609 Posts
Royal Purple 20/50 full synthetic every 2K

I use to use Redline..this is way better I get a 5 gallon jug shipped to my house for $95 US

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm very interested in the RP stuff as well...we use it in both of our vehicles, might as well use it in the bikes too...lol

hell, maybe we should just become dealers!

We use the Motul 5100, have for both sets of Ducs, no problems at all.

20k on my 900ss, 13k on his MS4R, 12k on my 750 sport, and 12k on his M750.

:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
interesting....looks like it's about $37 a gallon though

pretty spensive compared to the 27 or so we get the Motul for???

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
twice as long? as in....6k miles instead of 3k in the bike?

as it is, we're only chaning it every 6-7k in the cars, as we would do with any synthetic

I guess I was always under the impression that in a motorcycle, even with synthetic, 3k was when it should be changed. Maybe I'm under the wrong impression?

·
Administrator
7,134 Posts
Now we are to the TEST part.
They are claiming 6k in changes.
I am still skeptical....

But they are going to do several tests (viscosity, breakdown, blah blah blah) at 3k, put it back in, then again in 6.
If there is no difference, well, point is proven.

·
Registered
609 Posts
JDuc said:
interesting....looks like it's about $37 a gallon though

pretty spensive compared to the 27 or so we get the Motul for???
Hey J Duc, i can have it shipped to your door in the US for $95 that equals $19 gal w/ shipping! or $4.75 /qt

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.