Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is topic that is discussed extensively in other threads but the topic of what brand to buy or not buy I haven't found... I still am up in the air about how many teeth and welcome input (currently 15/42 on an 01 [email protected] and love the bike I do a pretty even split of highway and backroads. I don't find myself needing 7th ever) but the real purpose of the thread is where to buy my replacement chain and sprockets and what type?

·
Registered
209 Posts
15/42 is a good combination, if you can't find a 43, which I couldn't last time I swapped sprockets.
Stay with Steel sprockets. Aluminum sprockets just don't last. Even the off road crowd has gone back to steel.
I get mine from Ca Cycle works.
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/
Checking their site, they now have a full range of sprockets, so you can get any size you want.
While you are there, get a case saver and billet adjuster plates.

Most certainly get an O-ring chain. Higher cost, higher quality. If you plan on putting the next 20k on your bike, get the good stuff.

Added hint, never put even number sprockets on the font and the back. The inner and outer plates will always land on the same teeth and the sprockets will wear out quicker.
Cheers,

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
You can't do better than an EK mvxz chain and AFAM sprockets. These brands (EK & AFAM) are not as popular as some others, but their quality is worth searching out. The internet is your friend!

It is good that you never even need 7th. I think you'll find that there are only six in the box. ;)

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Supersprox 42T rear (aluminum carrier, steel sprocket), stock 15 front, or AFAM. DID 525 - 102 links (I think, not sure).

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

+1 brazillion on the SuperSprox. Nothing else even in the ballpark.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added hint, never put even number sprockets on the font and the back. The inner and outer plates will always land on the same teeth and the sprockets will wear out quicker.
Cheers,
So odd number sprockets on both is fine just not even? I'm thinking of a 15/43...

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Why is the screw link more money? I'm not questioning you just confused.
Because you are paying for the convenience of not having to have the breaking tool.

Most people here will agree that the rivet link is superior in high-torque applications.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just replaced my chain and sprockets with parts from desmo times. He has aluminum sprockets in stock and can order steel. I just stayed with the original tooth count, because it works for me. Good luck!

·
7,733 Posts
I ordered a "kit" from my Ducati dealer for my ST3. OEM sprockets and chain and a new c/s folding lock washer. Off with the old, on with the new. Quick/simple.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Also, as a PSA for those that don't know. Pick up a Cox Racing or DT case saver to protect the engine in case of chain failure. $20 bucks or $2000.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello SE84

That fellow in my avatar just looks like Mr. Philips, it's really your free Brazilian...

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Hello SE84

That fellow in my avatar just looks like Mr. Philips, it's really your free Brazilian...
Funny!

I was just wondering, because at one point I had dinner with him and a group from SF at the AMA races at SP during the '02 season, I think.

Nice guy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts