Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using bluetooth headphones or speakers in their helmets? I want to use my Waze app from my phone when commuting but need to figure out audio.

So, what are you all using?

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I use a SENA 20S however I’ve recently started plugging in a set of wired Etymotic ear buds (to the 20S) that double as earplugs. I get better clarity and don’t have to overcome listening to fuzzy sounds from an over driven tiny speaker through my foam earplugs.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the Uclear system with the Pulse Pro Speakers. If you are looking for quality audio for music, these are probably the best sounding speakers. I've had other riders compare the quality of the sounds with their system, such as the Sena and they blow them away. They are plenty loud with almost Bose quality sound. If you're looking to save money, you can contact them and see if they have any refurbished control modules. Their customer service is excellent, I've claimed warranty twice since I purchased my original system, and they have replaced them automatically, even when it was past their two year warranty. I'm on my 2nd set for both, the module & their Pulse Pro Speakers. Since I haven't owned a car in over a decade, my usage rate on accessories, gear and even the bike is much higher than the average rider, so there are only a handful of products I will recommend since most don't hold up. I use my Uclear daily, just as a driver would use their stereo when they drive.

https://www.ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-pro-helmet-speakers/

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bought two of these on Amazon, AUTOLOVER D2 500m Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom Motorbike Helmet Interphone Motorbike Bluetooth Headset For MP3 player/GPS/Walkie-Talkie, Hands Free & FM radio (Single). The recommendation came from several riders on ADVRider.com. They really work well, the sound is good, the communication is good between rider and passenger and the phone connection works. It almost sounds too good to be true, but there it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered a Sena 10U that integrates in to my Shoei Neotec. I like that it is fully integrated in to the helmet. I am hoping the speakers are loud enough. Should arrive on Friday.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been running a Sena SMH10R for about three years on my Arai Signet. I wear Isolate aluminum earplugs when I ride, and haven't noticed distortion, probably because if the earplugs. Cuts the wind noise and makes it easier to hear music, talk radio, audiobooks, whatever.
With technology advancing so fast with the bluetooth communicators, by the time I'm due to replace the helmet, I'll probably have to replace the SMH10R as well. It already looks like a dinosaur compared to what some others are running.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I use a SENA 20S however I’ve recently started plugging in a set of wired Etymotic ear buds (to the 20S) that double as earplugs. I get better clarity and don’t have to overcome listening to fuzzy sounds from an over driven tiny speaker through my foam earplugs.
Which model do you use?

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you want super clear audio for comms and music, definitely consider the Iasus XSound 3 helmet speakers. The nice thing about the Sena 10C, 20S and 30k is that there is a dedicated earbud port where you can simply plug in speakers like this and instantly get better audio. I have these in 2 separate helmets and love 'em, been using them for a few years now. It's an order of magnitude better than the tinny, stock speakers that come with the units (that may be ok for comms, but totally suck for music). I'm using both a Sena 20S and a 30K (which is a total piece of shit and not worth the upgrade).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want super clear audio for comms and music, definitely consider the Iasus XSound 3 helmet speakers. The nice thing about the Sena 10C, 20S and 30k is that there is a dedicated earbud port where you can simply plug in speakers like this and instantly get better audio. I have these in 2 separate helmets and love 'em, been using them for a few years now. It's an order of magnitude better than the tinny, stock speakers that come with the units (that may be ok for comms, but totally suck for music). I'm using both a Sena 20S and a 30K (which is a total piece of shit and not worth the upgrade).
Good info. It sounds like I need to pick up a Sena 20S and figure out alternative speakers / ear buds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any issues with your helmet rubbing on them with them sticking out of your ear?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Any issues with your helmet rubbing on them with them sticking out of your ear?
Not at all. I have them in both a Shoei GT-Air and an Arai Signet Q. Iasus adds little velco spacers so that you can position them perfectly without rubbing your ears. On my Arai the speakers sit underneath the cheek pad liner, which is a slick solution.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've got a fully integrated Sena 10U in a Neotec. Works OK until I get to about 60 then it's useless. I do wear earplugs though. If I had no earplugs and had it loud enough to hear over the wind noise of that helmet I'd be doing damage to the already weak ears.

Considering trying a pair of noise reduction earbuds like the Bose QC. Much more hassle to deal with that vs integrated speakers though, and they may not fit. BUT I like the idea of somethign that replaces the earplugs and still may protect the ears while being able to hear at higher speeds.

The Sena 10U has no speaker jack, being integrated, so I'd have to do some very expensive surgery (if it did nto work I'd be screwed), or swal Sena's. @Kirigakure what didn't you like abotu the 30? I was considering selling my 10U and getting the 30 due to the mesh network and to be able to get the earphone jack.

·
Registered
384 Posts
@Kirigakure what didn't you like abotu the 30? I was considering selling my 10U and getting the 30 due to the mesh network and to be able to get the earphone jack.
First up, the 30k has a smaller memory so it won't store all of the people you ride with (if you ride with different groups of people often, you'll find yourself having to re-pair), and the mesh network only works if the other riders are also on 30k's. There is a huge glitch with the audio multitasking too (you can't listen to music while having a conversation at the same time with it, it's busted and Sena admitted it). The 20S and 20S EVO are much easier to use IMHO. All of my pals who bought 30k's have already dumped them for the new 20S EVO, and they're all happier. I may in fact sell mine, it really is a piece of shit and unnecessarily complex to use. That's what I get for being a 1.0 buyer. I've already sent my 30k back (it's in the mail right now), Sena is replacing it with a brand new one as the one I had just bricked itself mid-conversation (not raining or wet). I think it's flaky and I'm not feeling too good about paying $329 to beta test this latest unit.

Reactions: shorton

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
I am a little bit soured on motorcycle-specific units.

I had a Cardo in my Schuberth C3 Pro, and the audio was terrible. It sounded like everyone had a lisp and very low volume. After 3 years, the unit no longer holds charge for more than 30 minutes. I read something about the internal ribbon connection being broken, but I did not chase a fix and bought a C4 Schuberth, instead. It has the Sena version 10, but allegedly with the 20 series speakers. I was a little surprised that a brand new helmet would incorporate a Sena unit two generations old, but the audio was better, and having a fully integrated communicator with batteries that could be swapped was good. But it looses a connection and the whole unit dies for no reason. I am still troubleshooting it, because extracting and inserting the battery will sometimes fix it and allow it to power back up. It just looses power at random times. I am on the verge of sending the helmet back to Schuberth.

Here is what I am experimenting with:

1. Tried my Bose in-ear wired buds with noise cancellation. Works ok, but I get strange clipping noises every 10 seconds, or so. Not sure if it is the Bose, interference, or the Sena. I have read that the Sena will make clipping noises in high interference urban areas. Noise cancellation works as well as it does on the airplane.
2. Tried to use my iphone airpods, but these Apple "ear boogers" fit ok under the helmet, but go tumbling out every time I take the helmet off.
3. I got custom ear plugs done at the local audiologist. They did not have the embedded speaker option, but I saw the thread with that link on this forum. I might try a wired ear plug with speaker. The plugs block almost too much noise (did not ask for the ones with the hole), and they put some pressure on the ear canal, but I will probably get used to this. I wander how much I will hear of the Sena speakers with them in. To be tested.

I mostly want audio for navigation. I seldom take phone calls and I do not do group rides that often (most people want to go at "go to jail speeds" on public roads, so I go with friends or solo).

Lastly....The Multi Bluetooth console is a disaster. Connecting more than one thing confuses everything. The people who created that thing should never be able to check in any code. It is like it was never tested in the real world, similar to the stupid Ducati proximity key. I have since unpaired everything from the bike and now only pair my phone directly with the helmet or other audio output.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just ordered a Sena 10U that integrates in to my Shoei Neotec. I like that it is fully integrated in to the helmet. I am hoping the speakers are loud enough. Should arrive on Friday.
got that

but gonna order the sena SM10 bluetooth adapter soon
https://www.rad.eu/nl/c/p/49302-sena-sm10.htm

cause i'd like to listen to music on longer rides

The 10U, like most sena and modern bluetooth moto headsets don't have a simple traditional cable option if you have a non bluetooth mp3 player :|

I got my sena connected to my tomtom via bluetooth for instructions, to my phone for calls and for the traffic data updates.
Music didnt work out with my old ipod, so this isthe only way...

I could use my phone as gps/mp3 player, but i already got all wired and cradles set up for a tomtom, so gonna keep it for now.

Luckely I found out about that SM10 device,
I just have to connect my ipod via cable to the SM10, and the SM10 via bluetooth to my 10u, it should be able to connect as a 2nd device to my 10U via bluetooth, I'm curious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the 10U today and took it for a test. Works well at lower speed. Made a phone call and listened to music. As someone earlier pointed out, sound is not great above 70mph. I was running wired earbuds to my phone in my pocket. Now I have the phone attached to the handlebars and the integrated speakers so happy for now.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts