Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

621 - 640 of 678 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
sorry to hear that Sherp. what did she go for?
Well that's usually how it goes when you try to buy a bike or car at auction; you want to buy something and all these inconsiderate people show up to bid against you. How rude, lol. :D :D :D

It went for something around $114k or so with the BP. Not necessarily a bad price but given what I would have to spend on it every year in order to keep it in good shape for track days and the challenge that finding/fabricating parts might be, that was more than where I wanted to be.

I spent some time over the last couple of months calling around to the good folks in my network to find out what the reality of owning and running a bike like this on a limited basis might be like and who are the folks here in the US who can take care of it. While it's doable, it's not cheap. So I kind of set my limit on where I would go with the bids and it went a bit past that.

Sure, it would have been nice to get it at a reasonable price but it's not like I'm crying into my pillow at night or anything. This is just how things like this go.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
Guess I'll just have to be content with me Mito then.
I only noticed the wings under the headlights recently... check them out.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you find a way to stuff a V4 double smoker in there, let me know. I'll track down my old '94. Yeah I used to marvel at the differences between the Mito and the 916, especially the way the tank is sculpted. Similar at first glance, the bike is a unique design solution. Of course! We're talking about Massimo here!

Reactions: davy.j

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well that's usually how it goes when you try to buy a bike or car at auction; you want to buy something and all these inconsiderate people show up to bid against you. How rude, lol. :D :D :D

It went for something around $114k or so with the BP. Not necessarily a bad price but given what I would have to spend on it every year in order to keep it in good shape for track days and the challenge that finding/fabricating parts might be, that was more than where I wanted to be.

I spent some time over the last couple of months calling around to the good folks in my network to find out what the reality of owning and running a bike like this on a limited basis might be like and who are the folks here in the US who can take care of it. While it's doable, it's not cheap. So I kind of set my limit on where I would go with the bids and it went a bit past that.

Sure, it would have been nice to get it at a reasonable price but it's not like I'm crying into my pillow at night or anything. This is just how things like this go.
I'm crying that you didnt get it! 😂

Reactions: Sherpa23F

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Druelling on this today.. low miles 748R on eBay. Located in Benicia, NorCAL.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

I cringe thinking about the forces running through that headstock bracket and framework theyve built up. But the whole looks the business. FS on eBay, but built-to-suit... anybody know of these guys?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
RC-51 SP-2 with the HRC high mount Ti exhaust system...
View attachment 1007609
I just dropped a serious chunk of change on one... exhaust system that is. Am currently waiting for the wheels to come back from getting powder coated, as well as a fairly significant number of replacement OEM parts I had to order as 20 years of neglect took it's toll.

Love that livery... a shame they never sold it on this side of the pond. Was lucky to score one.
So you bought this exhaust Prophet?!!
F**k me, that's going to be one sexy RC!
I'm already picturing in my mind a photo of your R and RC nose to nose..., what a combo..! You've done well for yourself my friend!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
“Be still my beating heart...” best looking race bike...ever.

I’m not the type to “collect” bikes but if I had to pick just one to look at and never ride this would be the one.
I agree 110%!!
This is probably the most painfully beautiful sculpture on two wheels ever created, and obviously I couldn't ride it ( lack of talent ) , so it is absolutely the perfect living room, automotive art piece.., even though I don't believe in that kind of thing, but this is absolutely the exception to that personal rule!
It is too bad our Sherpa couldn't get his hands on one, that would have pleased me somehow..

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
So you bought this exhaust Prophet?!!
F**k me, that's going to be one sexy RC!
I'm already picturing in my mind a photo of your R and RC nose to nose..., what a combo..! You've done well for yourself my friend!
Thank you sir...

While it was not the 2nd bike I originally set out to acquire, the prohibitive cost of a stateside TZR-250 SPR or NC35, and the availability of this RC for less than half of what either of those would have run me pretty much sealed the deal and am more than happy that things turned out this way.

Not quite nose to nose, but here is a nose to tail of the two as they are at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I agree 110%!!
This is probably the most painfully beautiful sculpture on two wheels ever created, and obviously I couldn't ride it ( lack of talent ) , so it is absolutely the perfect living room, automotive art piece.., even though I don't believe in that kind of thing, but this is absolutely the exception to that personal rule!
It is too bad our Sherpa couldn't get his hands on one, that would have pleased me somehow..
Well thanks but know that I wasn’t going to buy it to let it sit. The previous owner in Australia used it and I was going to use it too. It’s really expensive to keep going even if you only do two track sessions a year so that’s a real factor for me. I didn’t want a $120k art installation which is would it would have to be if I couldn’t keep using it. Yes, it’s beautiful and I could stare at it all day but it would kill me inside to not give it the regular rips on the track they deserve.

Buying race bikes can be a tricky thing. While they’re beautiful and loaded with history, it’s important to remember that these are weapons and not jewels. The bikes also need to reminded of that from time to time.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Weapon is right. I can't even imagine controlling the hit from that 2-stroke weapon as its coming on the pipe in a machine that light. My 1198 has a comparable HP number, but delivered via 4-stroke torque curve, and in a 375-lb bike, and its all I can handle. I'd literally be afraid to ride that one-off piece of history.

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
I want a Ural Ranger TWD in russian camoflage.
Then a 50's style para-military uniform, a 5 gal metal jerrycan and a scabard with an SKS.
Screenshot_20210525-213213_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: egomexico

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
621 - 640 of 678 Posts