Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

261 - 280 of 297 Posts

·
comrade moderator
26,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
'58 to '60, mid five digits for a beater (changed parts, headstock repair, refinished, etc...a friend of mine has one of these and it's magical), half a mil for something clean with provenance.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
'58 to '60, mid five digits for a beater (changed parts, headstock repair, refinished, etc...a friend of mine has one of these and it's magical), half a mil for something clean with provenance.
Man. That is amazing. I love those things.

Yes, I wasn’t sure if I was remembering the years right. Thanks for setting that straight.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm a pro jazz guitarist. This year for gigs has been mighty slim to say the least. However I still have most of my students and we've managed to play a few "off the record" private parties staged by loyal fans. One of our favorite regular venues came very close to being wiped out by the 150,000 acre fire burning nearby us-it was saved by the heroic efforts of the owner and fire crews.
So if we are showing off our working instruments, here's my 1990 Benedetto Cremona. Built by the Master himself. It's no case queen, I use it on every gig, unless weather is a issue. Got a backup for that.
It is priceless to me...
Bspring.jpg

·
Registered
701 Posts
Can't show you what I want, haven't built it yet.
I suffer with Mandello (Guzzi) marrow in my bones, as well as OCMD.

So to get a modern Guzzi I'd have to turn a 1098/1198/RSV4 sideways and add a shaft drive .................. :eek:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I can't read writin' ... I can only read readin' ... and I'm real bad at knowin stuff. Y'see 'at's whut happens when yuh only can haz all the sense God gave an onion ... or maybe a box a hair.

;)
aye, if we truly had brains, we likely wouldnt ride bikes in traffic. BTW I liked the look of the JPS and flat black sporty's, as I'm looking to gain some cornering clearance on my FXDC before I grind the footpeg brackets off that hog in the twisties around here.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
..here's my 1990 Benedetto Cremona. Built by the Master himself. It's no case queen, I use it on every gig, unless weather is a issue. Got a backup for that.
It is priceless to me...
View attachment 994281
Nice axe. looks like an old big box Gibson to my relatively untrained eye. I bet she sounds sweet. What's the story on the luthier?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
aye, if we truly had brains, we likely wouldnt ride bikes in traffic. BTW I liked the look of the JPS and flat black sporty's, as I'm looking to gain some cornering clearance on my FXDC before I grind the footpeg brackets off that hog in the twisties around here.
Maybe check out what the fellas racing the King Of The Baggers series starting at Laguna Seca during the MotoAmerica race there this year. Some of the baggers are seeing 58 degrees of lean angle. Mostly y'gotta raise the seat up ... an old dead bike battery and that shelf in the living room is all it takes....

Some testing without the saddlebags .... ~yes~ they are required to run saddlebags in the race.

This here's more my speed ....

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Can't show you what I want, haven't built it yet.
I suffer with Mandello (Guzzi) marrow in my bones, as well as OCMD.

So to get a modern Guzzi I'd have to turn a 1098/1198/RSV4 sideways and add a shaft drive .................. :eek:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Now Rex, that's just a Daytona with a body kit. Whereas a real MGS-01 always makes a little bit of wee come out.
But that is hardly modern as it only manages an asthmatic 125 hp from 1225cc, with a maintenance schedule similar to a Moto GP bike, no kidding.
Crack testing of rods at 2,000 km, replace at 4,000 km, or similar etc. etc.

·
Bon Vivant
10,961 Posts
Heck chuck, there's one on ebay right now for under $500 bucks. whats the difference? :devilish:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice axe. looks like an old big box Gibson to my relatively untrained eye. I bet she sounds sweet. What's the story on the luthier?
Thank you. Bob Benedetto took the best of accepted archtop construction to the next level. Along with his supreme workmanship he was savvy getting top Jazz players using his instruments, names like Johnny Smith, Bucky Pizzarelli, Jimmy Bruno. Bob was a one man shop and trained several top luthiers building today. His name is mentioned in the same breath as D'Angelico and D'Aquisto as one of the foremost archtop builders in history.
Bob has pretty much retired from building and has a custom shop in Savannah.
Mine was recently appraised for 30K, I would never sell it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thank you. Bob Benedetto took the best of accepted archtop construction to the next level. Along with his supreme workmanship he was savvy getting top Jazz players using his instruments, names like Johnny Smith, Bucky Pizzarelli, Jimmy Bruno. Bob was a one man shop and trained several top luthiers building today. His name is mentioned in the same breath as D'Angelico and D'Aquisto as one of the foremost archtop builders in history.
Bob has pretty much retired from building and has a custom shop in Savannah.
Mine was recently appraised for 30K, I would never sell it.
Wow that sounds like a truly special gitbox. I do know of Pizzarelli's work, i think mostly when he covered Django stuff. Got my attention, as I'm a big fan of Django.

What part of Cali are you in, and where do you gig? My bro runs the Sound Room in Oakland, a really special jazz venue on Broadway. He just did a record release party/livestream, at their new space so acoustics/mixing for the room/stream still getting sorted. The orig space was truly special. Party was for a phenom jazz vocalist by the name of Kenny Washington, who's also one of the nicest humans I've met.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I certainly didn't intend to hijack this thread, I had to add my Benedetto into the mix posted about Les Pauls and such. Les Pauls are fine guitars however not my bag.
I'm in the Southern Sierras near Visalia. Certainly not Jazz central like the Bay Area, however the horn player I work with is a Band Director in the school system, and that combined with my major label record credits with Jazz trumpeter Donald Byrd (RIP) has blessed us with a niche' circuit in the area. We gigged steadily until last March then all our bookings cancelled as you can imagine. Congrats to your Bro for keeping the flame alive.

John Pizzarelli is Bucky's son, and both are outstanding players. I've met Bucky when I lived back East and studied with Jimmy Bruno in Philly. Ironically, I don't think you will find a guitarist in any type of music that doesn't cite Django as a influence or inspiration. I also have worked with a talented violinist performing much of the Gypsy repertoire. I'm the fortunate owner of a French made Dupont gypsy jazz guitar that has the "Bark".

Good luck and best wishes to you Bro!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing. That gypsy guitar looks really unique with that bridge and soundhole. Oh and i wouldnt worry about thread hijacks in the Chitchat section. I'd go so far as to say its now a meandering Covid therapy session. that's not a criticism, btw.

Reactions: SierraTango

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,715 Posts
I'm lusting to finally ride this one..
I built and finished it December 2019 but unlike the rest of my builds this one is all custom, CB750 frame, DR650 motor, Custom dual exhaust system, Ducati 900ss swingarm, 748 front wheel and brakes, Cagiva rear wheel and brake, Yamaha forks and triple trees with all composite tank, seat and mudguards with full custom electrics, lighting and Ultrabat LiPo4.
There is a full custom Pazon Surefire race ignition system replacing the cdi on the motor too.
Consequently to get it street registered I had to get a full structural engineering inspection and compliance report and that is sent to the Transport dept for official approval prior to roadworthy inspection and final road registration.
The report finally went in to transport 3 months ago and the wait began..

Through a friend of a friend I was told today that the department staff had been cut from 30 to just 2 many months back and one of those two is on sick leave.. and there are over 11,000 vehicle modification applications in the backlog pile.
But..... the good news is that somehow... my application was this afternoon mysteriously moved to the very top of the pile :)
I'm almost afraid to hope that the magic letter will arrive here next week so I can register and ride it... it's been a long row to hoe.
And it's also a bit special in that xracer gave me those two front 320mm Brembo discs... miss you mate.
And fwiw I made a conscious effort to have bugger all on this one that needs polishing too :)

Attachments

Reactions: bbradsby

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
..CB750 frame, DR650 motor, Custom dual exhaust system, Ducati 900ss swingarm, 748 front wheel and brakes, Cagiva rear wheel and brake, Yamaha forks and triple trees with all composite tank, seat and mudguards with full custom electrics, lighting and Ultrabat LiPo4.
There is a full custom Pazon Surefire race ignition system replacing the cdi on the motor too.. And it's also a bit special in that xracer gave me those two front 320mm Brembo discs... miss you mate.
Dude. Nice work, but I believe you left Kawasaki out in the cold. :D Here's to you and that Aussie spirit. You guys remind me of what the USA had a few decades back.. Can-Do, and She'll be Right.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,715 Posts
Yes... she'll be right mate :)
Best bit off all was when the engineer was crouching around the build taking detail pictures and as he thought I was out of hearing range he said to my mate "The fucking thing looks factory!"
I rang and told Rob and he laughed his head off :)

261 - 280 of 297 Posts