Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Administrator
12,358 Posts
Wasn't necessarily 'lusting' for (another) one but, I just got this one on Wednesday.
And who wrote "egg" on the case 😂
🍳

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Not me. An "egg" engine is a Benelli/Motobi horizontal single. Although, I do see what they're getting at.

Attachments

Reactions: scott

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
How's the RC treating you so far Prophet?
Any plans for mods ? I hope you're at least going to source an appropriate exhaust system.. ( and a tail tidy, please loose the big hunka plastic back there )
She's a trip man... seriously. She is parked where the Duc normally is, for rapid egress from my office.

Not a small bike by any means, but it literally does not feel large. I'm quite sure nobody would ever call this a nimble bike, but I tried the 23.5 degree head angle on my R once, and promptly reset it to 24.5 after almost tucking the front wheel at low speed. The same head angle on this thing feels... balanced. It's weird.

I've not ridden it much as in addition to it having been hot as fuck here the last couple of weeks, she has no service history, so don't want to push it until I've had it serviced, and had replacement rubber put on her. The few times I had her out were quite memorable however, especially in how much she differs from the R. There is literally power everywhere... again, I've not done a lot of miles, but the ones I did impressed the hell out of me. Whack the throttle open at low rpms that would have the R bucking, and this thing just goes. And I fucking love the valvetrain noise... exquisite.

As for upgrades, I've spent far too much time of late researching different options. ;) As there really isn't a tail tidy solution, at least that I've been able to find, that does not involve cutting the rear fender, I'll be leaving that alone for now. This winter, when the Duc is back on the road, I'll start a full rebuild of this, and job one is to get the rear fender/battery tray 3D scanned. Once I've got that data, I can create a custom 3D printed battery tray, that includes all of the features necessary for the relays, etc which are mounted in the tail, that will mate with one of the commercially available tidys. I've already swapped the Moriwaki rearsets for a pair of OEM's that I picked up from one of the kind members of the RC51 forum, and did the same with the ghastly mirrors.

Anyway, it's getting late, and I gotta scoot, but thanks for checking in.

·
Registered
305 Posts
She's a trip man... seriously. She is parked where the Duc normally is, for rapid egress from my office.
View attachment 990723
Not a small bike by any means, but it literally does not feel large. I'm quite sure nobody would ever call this a nimble bike, but I tried the 23.5 degree head angle on my R once, and promptly reset it to 24.5 after almost tucking the front wheel at low speed. The same head angle on this thing feels... balanced. It's weird.

I've not ridden it much as in addition to it having been hot as fuck here the last couple of weeks, she has no service history, so don't want to push it until I've had it serviced, and had replacement rubber put on her. The few times I had her out were quite memorable however, especially in how much she differs from the R. There is literally power everywhere... again, I've not done a lot of miles, but the ones I did impressed the hell out of me. Whack the throttle open at low rpms that would have the R bucking, and this thing just goes. And I fucking love the valvetrain noise... exquisite.

As for upgrades, I've spent far too much time of late researching different options. ;) As there really isn't a tail tidy solution, at least that I've been able to find, that does not involve cutting the rear fender, I'll be leaving that alone for now. This winter, when the Duc is back on the road, I'll start a full rebuild of this, and job one is to get the rear fender/battery tray 3D scanned. Once I've got that data, I can create a custom 3D printed battery tray, that includes all of the features necessary for the relays, etc which are mounted in the tail, that will mate with one of the commercially available tidys. I've already swapped the Moriwaki rearsets for a pair of OEM's that I picked up from one of the kind members of the RC51 forum, and did the same with the ghastly mirrors.

Anyway, it's getting late, and I gotta scoot, but thanks for checking in.
How’re you finding the seat?

I really like those things but I have 2 over-riding memories from my time spent on one:
1) the Akrapovic/gear driven cams noise was quite delicious
2) the seat felt like a piece of plywood.

But I’d have one in a heartbeat. There are just enough production foibles with a glimpse of what it could be to get my juices flowing.

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Really well reasoned and written post and I agree with your sentiment. In fact I live it, building old bikes for enjoyment and satisfaction, heck I don't even ride them, I just covet and appreciate them. I also agree with Prophet's point of view. Because the bikes I do ride and enjoy are the modern bikes with sophisticated engineering and performance. We have to kinda cut PVD a little slack here, he doesnt relate to mechanical things the way most of do, he is on a level we just aren't capable of understanding (at least I'm not). Prophets head is clearly on the cutting edge of today's very sophisticated engineering and creation - he is far and away beyond us. I envy his position and his ability to create at a level that has surpassed everything before and I would expect him to firmly look forward, that is HIS passion.
Wow... such high praise Mike, am not sure how to respond, other than to say that coming from someone whose work I respect as much as yours I am sincerely humbled. For years now, almost since I joined the group here, I have held the work of forum members such as you, Adam, YellowDucking, etc., etc., in VERY high regard, and I will be extremely pleased if I can match the overall quality and attention to detail shown your respective builds.

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
How’re you finding the seat?

I really like those things but I have 2 over-riding memories from my time spent on one:
1) the Akrapovic/gear driven cams noise was quite delicious
2) the seat felt like a piece of plywood.

But I’d have one in a heartbeat. There are just enough production foibles with a glimpse of what it could be to get my juices flowing.
The seat has not been an issue, but again, I've not put in a lot of miles on it thus far. It doesn't feel all that different from the seat on the R, with the exception of the material that the cover is made from. The R uses what I think is Alcantara, whereas the RC feels like pleather?

One thing I did notice about it... whereas the seat on the Duc narrows in width the closer it is to the tank, the RC is the opposite. Which made it difficult to grip the tank with my legs as I normally do... I have no intention of tracking this thing so it's not a big deal, but I did notice it.

·
Registered
2000 748 yellow
9 Posts
As far as Ducati’s go, for a long ass time I been wanting to get a yellow 998. Maybe someday.

I recently bought a 04 Honda shadow Cruiser mainly to just eat up some road with my wife.

221 - 238 of 238 Posts