Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
All good....but I'm with Rex on this one: the heart wants what the heart wants. If we're lucky the big head maintains just enough control to exercise right of veto over the lil' head, but it's not a given.

There is no right or wrong. There are Nissan GTR type people and there are Yenko/COPO Camaro type people. The GTR is "better" by probably every performance measure.....but I'd still take the Yenko every day of the week. So there must be some important criteria that it meets that the GTR doesn't.

So what are the criteria? It's completely personal, but basically it's just whatever makes you feel good, isn't it? Sheer performance may be everything in your considerations....or might only be a small component. A GTR/V4R is good for bugger-all if you like getting your hands dirty. I wander into my shed and see a V4R sitting there I can acknowledge that it is an awesome thing....but it is a crap bike if you like tinkering. I spend far more time playing in the shed than I do riding, so what good is it too me? It's not "my" bike, it's some Italian/German design committee's, it is exactly the same as 1500(?) others and buying it might be fun, but it provides none of the satisfaction I get from building something "lesser". And I don't admire Audi/Ducati for building it the same way I admire the folks who built the bikes Rex posted.

Proph's comparison above: What if the feeling of walnut against your cheek, the smell of linseed oil in your nostrils transports you right back to your childhood and special time out in nature with your old man? What if your father/grandfather was an infantryman in WWll and you appreciate the significance/continuum of owning/using "his" weapon? By these measures a modern weapon fails miserably.

I grew up admiring not just the local heroes racing, but also the bikes that were built for them. Graeme Crosby's Moriwaki ZIR was cool, but the home-brewed Steve Roberts built monocoque Suzuki's (1 x aluminium and 1 x carbon fibre) and Ken McIntosh special took things to a whole new level, inspirational stuff to a young lad in the early 80's.

Roberts' ally monocoque Suzuki, shock under tension under the engine (tension makes for much lighter linkages than compression), 3rd in World F1 championship 1982:
View attachment 989928

Ken McIntosh framed F1 Suzuki, with the late great Roger Freeth aboard:
View attachment 989931

As much as I wanted to be one of those racing gods I wanted to build one of those incredible machines just as badly.

Of course I've never come close, but I still like building.....something.

I think we all appreciate engineering, it is just what aspects appeal that differs. The engineering in electric bikes is amazing, but they leave me cold. I don't commute, I don't tour, I don't take pillions....I ride purely for enjoyment, so I'm looking to engage as many senses as possible....and an electric bike is quite limiting in that regard. Faster/slower has nothing to do with it. Which explains Harleys: for better or worse they are a sensory overload. Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear/The Grand Tour) tried to explain his affection for a Lamborghini vs a McLaren in one of their comparo's: he couldn't give a rat's that the McLaren was faster ("better") he just loved the "theatre" and "drama" associated with the Lambo. Gimme that theatre and drama any day over cold hard efficiency.
Really well reasoned and written post and I agree with your sentiment. In fact I live it, building old bikes for enjoyment and satisfaction, heck I don't even ride them, I just covet and appreciate them. I also agree with Prophet's point of view. Because the bikes I do ride and enjoy are the modern bikes with sophisticated engineering and performance. We have to kinda cut PVD a little slack here, he doesnt relate to mechanical things the way most of do, he is on a level we just aren't capable of understanding (at least I'm not). Prophets head is clearly on the cutting edge of today's very sophisticated engineering and creation - he is far and away beyond us. I envy his position and his ability to create at a level that has surpassed everything before and I would expect him to firmly look forward, that is HIS passion.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
(re; Prophet, seven4niner, flynbulldog, and myself discussion regarding "good")

At the end of the day everyone has their own ideas about what ~good~ means. I'm well aware that modern motorcycles offer a lot of advantages. But I don't care. It's not why I ride a motorcycle.

I live "closer to the ground" than to be attracted to insanely complex computer controlled motorcycles. I fully understand that those types of bikes are loved and cherished by one hell of a lot of people. That's good ... good for them ... and I'm happy that they're happy. But ... the question this thread asks ... ("what motorcycles are you lusting for") ... may only be answered by each person. The moment someone attempts to answer that for you, it's no longer about what you want, it's about what they want you to want. You can tell me ~why~ modern bikes are "better" until your face turns blue .. but the question isn't "what are you lusting for and why should others agree with your choices" ... is it now.

IF ... I were commuting every day on a motorcycle.
IF ... I had a reliable Ducati dealer in my city to handle warranty and service issues.
IF ... I had the desire to go into debt for a new motorcycle.
THEN ... I may choose one of the modern wunderbikes.
HOWEVER ... None of those factors are a part of my life.

The nearest Ducati dealer to where I live is at least 3 hours away (one way). So I choose to lust after motorcycles that appeal to me, my situation, and my reality. I've stopped chasing shit I can't have decades ago, all it does is bring me down when the realization that I'll never afford "The Precious" sets in. Others have different realities than I. They choose different motorcycles, and in their eyes those bikes are "better in every way". I don't agree with that.

But that doesn't make my choices wrong, or less good. They're good for me, and that is the crux of this thread .... ~my lust~ (so to speak). Look, I think that sometimes the loud, blustery, mouthery I post is taken seriously. When I say things like "these were motorcycles back when men were men" and the like ... that's all just goofing around ... mocking myself in some ways ... but actually mocking most bike riders (myself included) when ~we~ start soapboxing and thumping our chests about how great our motorcycle choices are and how everyone else is a massive pussy for riding a little girl's bike. That's just shit talk folks. I mean, I may be a lot of things, but a ~moron~ isn't one of them. I fully and completely understand the benefits of computer control. But that's not what I lust after, now is it!

Transmission complete. :)

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
yes aged patina is very much the fad right now...
But we have to wonder, when these become so good that they start to fool even the experts how will we know true authenticity?
Fake is fake, created patina is a lie meant to deceive people. Pretty restorations deceive no one, we all know that they have been restored.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'D RIDE THAT!
I don't know if those older BMWs successfully dealt with the problems the Japanese discovered when they began producing shaft drive bikes. The Jap bikes would react exactly the opposite of what you'd expect. Throttle it up and the rear end RISES .... throttle back and the rear end SQUATS (at least I think I got that right, it's been years y'know). Very unnerving thing mid corner if you're not expecting it to happen. Could cause mid-corner touch down if you didn't take that quirk into account before you got into the corner. But again, I don't know anything about BMWs ... old or new ... other than the fact that some of them really appeal to me .... like this'n! Air cooled, carbs, etc..

:)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Oy! Dang ...

Part of what I like about the 1980s bikes is that time in road racing motorcycles was somewhat like the 1960s was for Formula 1 and other forms of car racing then ... it was a period of this sortof oddball development. All kinds of different ideas were tried. One of those weird ideas in the 1980s was the 16 inch front wheel paired with an 18 inch rear wheel. Pretty much no manufacturer was immune to that setup then. Ducati even tried it for a while, giving us plenty to lust after today!

And this is just a picture of all kinds of good ...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Wayne Rainey's custom Yamaha R1, built by Mule Motorcycles. Welded steel tube frame, many other stuffs.

And those odd looking BMW K100s ... circa mid 1980s ... they sure look unique and I like that. I know nothing about the brand or that model. Still, great looking bikes, especially when built-up all trick like.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Gettin quiet in here ... we run out of lusty moter sickles? I love lust after so many of them I could carry this thread by myself.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yamaha SRX 600. Only sold in the US for one year - 1986. Very rare bike. 600 cc air cooled cafe style thumper. Very light, very flickable, clip-ons from the factory and in my eyes beautiful. Fortunately about as loved as a red headed step child so financially quite a bit easier to obtain than a Duc supermono. On the down side good examples are hard to find - when I do see these and they are all beat to hell. Painted over a couple times, rash everywhere, signs of neglect... it's pretty sad. Such a beautiful bike and a concept ahead of it's time that people could not understand. Even back then then brain dead masses were all about Bigger Faster More. To me, less is more and this bike is the most. Pretty high on my personal Want list.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
^ it's as if Yamaha were attempting to resurrect the XS650 .... which was a bad ass bike in itself.

EDIT: More like a redone SR500.

·
Registered
364 Posts
^ it's as if Yamaha were attempting to resurrect the XS650 .... which was a bad ass bike in itself.

EDIT: More like a redone SR500.
Kick start only too. A bike for manly men. I believe this was the last kick start only, full size road bike ever made, until the late model retro SR400 fuel injected version at least. Sales were so bad on this bike they only sold it for one year and I believe manufacturers blamed it partially on the fact it was kick start only. But mainly because middle weight horsepower wars were starting. Hurricanes and Ninjas and all that... which my kick start only RZ350 of the time would thoroughly trounce.... a bike I wish I still had also.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
^ ... hey Rock :) ... looking at the freeze-frame image in the video frame there's the guy with the half-helmet (skullcap) .... makes me think of when the very first patent office was opened in the USA ... the person put in charge of that new office said something to the effect of; "there's no need for a patent office, everything has already been invented" (I've paraphrased that). That was around 1885 or something. No need for a patent office since everything had already been invented? ... right ... take one look at the fella in the freeze frame (thumbnail photo?) ... check that helmet out ...so ~everything has already been invented~ ... HA! Good thing the first guy we put into the patent office was a demonstrable dumbass with no long range vision, otherwise we may have taken him seriously!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
^ ... hark! ... whuzzat I hear? why, it's the sound of Arlen Ness yankin his monkey in the grave after seeing that big ol' pile of redneck. "fucken looka all that BILLET! ... there's gotta be one bad ass bike under all that shit! Imma SPANK that sumbitch!" ......

... fap fap fap ...

.... needs more cowbell ...

201 - 220 of 238 Posts