Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been corresponding with a guy trying to get rid of his 04 Matrix. It's bone stock with about 2700 miles. It has had all required service. I have even spoken to the Ducati service manager that worked on the bike and he vouched for it. The service guy said he would buy it himself if he had the money.

I can pick the bike up right now for $12.3K

Only problem is that it will cost approx $700 to have it shipped back to Florida.

What do you guys think of this bike? From what I've read, the only diff between this and a reg 998 is the paint scheme. Which my wife loves by the way :D

For whatever reason, they really don't seem to hold their value though. 02 998's in good condition are selling for $12.5K and this is 2 years newer. This is the 3rd matrix i've seen for around 12.5K

I like the fact that the bike still has about 2 months left under warranty, and it's a bipost. I also like the fact that it's an 04. I'm still back and forth on the color though. I do like the bling of the yellow paint scheme, but the british racing green is kind of cool too.

I'm curious to know what the ducati community thinks of this thing. From what I have read, only 500 were made and 150 of them were brought into the US.

I suppose if I end up hating the color, I can always have it painted yellow. I just wish this guy had at least already done the pipes. Who rides a ducati with the stock pipes? Isn't there a law against that or something :)

Here's a pic:

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Your right about the value issue, strange but you would think a limited production bike increases the demand in theory, but not in this case. I think the Matrix has a bad rap in the Ducati community. I think this bike and the so-called limited addition models are sometimes quick fixes without traditional value. I don't agree in every case, but this does occurr. I like the Matrix paint scheme and I like the movie. If your wife likes it, go for it. Having an 04 (in technical terms) must have some advantage somewhere then again, 998 owners would probably claim the bike is an 02 in 04 clothing. So what, its a Ducati with a different paint scheme, its legit. Your right though, the stock cans are lame. You might want to have Scott here on Ducati.ms show you some pics of his Matrix, as they say in Hawaii, its "da kine". Once you see his bike you will see the potential beauty of this special bike.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Buy it!!
The matrix 998 is gorgeous. The only problem is IMO the "matrix reloaded" sticker.
Nevermind: put a monoposto with white number plate.
It will give it a "jaguar D type touch of class".
Furthermore, green paint seems to be very good quality.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm not fond of the green color scheme. But, it is a 998 underneath the color.

It might work out great for you, long term. Save off the plastics, get some nice aftermarket ones in the color you want. Then when it comes time to restore it (if you love it that much), you'll have all the original parts unmolested, which will increase it's value.

I'm working towards getting some aftermarket plastics because of the expensive nature of OEM. A low side, tip over and its a very costly mistake/accident. Eventually, they will stop making the plastics if they haven't already.

I think that is a very safe and very good deal. You can't go wrong with a warranty :)

Can someone post the pics to the awesome green Matrix 998?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
seems like the best bike you have posted asking about yet!...where is the bike....maybe just instead of paying for shipping...buy a plane ticket and go and ride it home!

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
I like the 998 Matrix, but they didn´t do it right this time. All other limited edition superbikes have had SOME extras, not including the paintjob.. Öhlins full suspension or Öhlins rear AND steeringdamper (like the 916 Senna did). The Matrix only got Öhlins rearsuspension (which IS rather nice). I´m kinda sick off Ducati´s "Hollywood" bikes. The matrix 998/Monster.. The Blade ST2.. What´s next? Britney 999 or Pink 749? *shudder*

But i agree with the others. Buy it and get a spare gastank and fairings/airbox/fender (or CF airbox/fender) and either buy them in the color you want or have them sprayed. Then you can go with any color. And WHEN you decide to sell it, those aftermarket skins will also be worth something if they are painted in stock colors.

And good call about the yellow being BLING :D

//amullo

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
El_Gladiator said:
Buy it!!
The matrix 998 is gorgeous. The only problem is IMO the "matrix reloaded" sticker.
Nevermind: put a monoposto with white number plate.
It will give it a "jaguar D type touch of class".
Furthermore, green paint seems to be very good quality.

Exactly.

bruce19

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
check your email. i sent you a lead on a new 2002 998 bip in yellow with a phone number for 12,995.

this is a NEW bike for the price of a used bike. keep us up to date on your search.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
oneducs said:
check your email. i sent you a lead on a new 2002 998 bip in yellow with a phone number for 12,995.

this is a NEW bike for the price of a used bike. keep us up to date on your search.
If your lead is legit, DeputyDog will be all over that deal like a cheap suit. I'll bet he buys it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your right about the exhaust, illegal with no posibility of parol. I bought my 998 stock and developed a nervous twitch until I installed some cans. The colours fine its the bip that drives me round the bend. A mono tail in green with the number plate and its smok'n.

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
I LOVE MINE ;)! Bling Bling.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like the matrix edition... I will say that I like red better, but there's just something about the "uniqueness" of the green.

I definitely would not paint the stock green. If you don't like it, then get another set of skins and custom paint them.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
scott said:
I LOVE MINE ;)! Bling Bling.

Scott,

I love the retro looking but functional pumps behind your beautiful Matrix. Did you go out with Trinity last night?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oneducs said:

where did you see that they had this bike? they did have an 02 there, but it had 15K miles. consignment sale for one of their customers.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
level7 said:
Scott, where did you get the carbon heel and exhaust guards? They are nice.
Probably Motowheels. Right Scott/Raffy?

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
I may have to PM Raffy, I thought he would jump in here on this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.