Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, a very basic question.

What are all the different 900 models for the SS (non-Monster) bikes?

I'm looking at a few for sale and am getting confused. The ones I am looking at are Cagiva bikes, around 1995 models.

There's the SS, the SL and the FE right?

And some different rear ends too?

I'm looking at an SS now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Fe is only a 98 bike. The SS would be a two seater, the Sl a one seater. Really no other difference between the two unless it is a 92 Sl. America recieved two other versions, but since you are not here, we will skip those.

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
531 Posts
Did the SL's not get lots of carbon bits and bobs plus Marvic magnesium split rims?????

Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
*stolen from Chris Kelley*

1992 was the only year to have the factory deliver charcoal colored Supersports. Supposedly, they were so unpopular that dealerships painted many red to move them off of showroom floors.

1992 and older models had white powder coated frames, 1993 to 1995 models have their frames and wheels powder coated silver, and newer models have champagne colored frames and wheels.

It was probably around this time that the factory stopped painting the mirrors on the red bikes red. I'm sure this made the $80 mirrors even more costly.

At some point (1995?), the SS became the SP, and got a nifty little number plaque for the triple clamps. It seems to have also gotten cast iron full floating rotors - better than the standard spec Superbike stainless rotors!

Around 1995, both models started getting their engines painted silver. I found out from a Ducati dealer that the factory quit using crankcase gaskets. I also noticed a couple of enhancements: the drive output off of the left side of the crankshaft grew 3mm to 28mm and the seat latch was greatly improved using a notched metal pin.

SPs got remote reservoir master cylinders for the front brakes and clutch. Unfortunately, the brakes still basically sucked.

SPs got a "floating" rear brake. This is where a bar keeps the rear brake from rotating with the rear disk when braking is applied. Previously, the rear caliper was fixed, with its carrier tied to a pin on the swingarm. This new floating rear brake interferes with Staintune's awesome spaghetti system, requiring SP owners not accepting less than the best retrofit to the fixed caliper bracket. You'll need the caliper bracket, swingarm pin, and a shorter brake line. Maybe that underslung caliper bracket on the new SS will work...

The 1996 model year SP saw the introduction of an oil temp gauge.

1998 had the 900SS engine remove the oil lines from the cylinder barrels to the top of the generator cover. Interesting. Wasn't Ducati just crying about lack of cooling as to why they didn't bump the size of the SS to 940cc? I haven't been to an actual dealer for some time (they're too damn snobbish) to see if the SP still gets the oil lines or not. Some `98 Ducatis got the new 3 phase alternator. The FE did. Look for the timing window to be "raised" or flush with the outer part of the alternator cover. Previously, they were flush with the bottom of the cover, next to the clutch slave cylinder.

I also noticed that Ducati recast all of the engine components and removed all of the Ducati logos. I'll bet a pile of money that the cute Cagiva elephants that were on the inside of those cast pieces are gone, too.

I got a look at a 900SS/FE. It is an attractive machine. Ducati put together a handsome motorcycle and managed to keep the cost reasonable. This is a blend of the SL and the SS. It has SL high pipes, but SS wheels. They're powdwer coated black and go well with the silver paint. I noticed a cheesy carbon overlay on the dash, too. Hmmm, I didn't notice the color of the frame, but I imagine that it's silver and not champagne. One real improvement the FE has is the new header. It is raised significantly, so ground clearance is improved dramatically. Otherwise, not much seems to be different from the SS.

Other notes... There is lots of confusion about the wheels on the SL... I think only the 92's come with different wheels... all the 93's I have seen have the regular brembos, although everything I read says that they have Marvic wheels on them. Hope this helps you.

Ryan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Post 98 models...

Nuda - or HF - half fairing, dual seater
Carenata - or FF - full fairing, dual seater

DS stands for Dual Spark engine, all were (are) FF

IE stands for injected...

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
chris900ssie said:
Did the SL's not get lots of carbon bits and bobs plus Marvic magnesium split rims?????

Chris
If you're looking at an SL (in Oz and probably KL too it stands for SuperLight) and it's in good nick then grab it up. The SuperLight (the one with the 2 piece Marvic rims) came standard as a single seater with carbon fibre mudguards and different (better?) brakes, etc. I think of the SS's they'll be the ones to retain value later in life (other than the 70's models...wish I'd never sold my '76 SS now... :( ). Anyway, later models of the SL didn't have the Marvic rims only the first version.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

Yes, I am in KL, and I did find an SL, which as you say means Super Light here... apparently there are only four or five in this city, and none are for sale. Also, I found a true 916 SP (with a 955cc engine), but that's another story.

I hope to pick up that 1993 SS soon as the price is good, it just got a new voltage rectifier and lots of basic maintenance... seems like a good buy.

I rode the bike and it's very sold and tight. All original pipes and parts and looks amazingly good for being so old (by today's standards).

I'm getting a bit older, so the SS would be nice for me. We don't need to blast off into outer space anymore, or do we?

Cheers!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard the SL has a bigger bore and a shorter stroke... so it a 900cc engine, just a bit different that the others. True?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think most bikes in malaysia would be Australian specs - I know the SS I bought in Singapore in '95 had (has) an Australian compliance plate on it.

The SuperLight I had the Mavics, carbon hugger, mudguard and clutch cover, all the others (I have a SL III) have standard Brembo wheels. ALL SLs have floating cast iron discs and single seats (and corresponding slightly raised pipes). There is no other differences that I know of. ALL SLs came with a numbered plaque on the triple clamp. The last was the SL IV

It'd be easy to convert an SS to and SL, so if you find one make sure it has the numbered clamp. I don't think there's any value added on the SLs (in terms of 'investment' (ahem), except for the first ones. SL I ('92?)

I know it's tougher in a market where you don't have a lot of choice, but I'd suggest a later model than the '93. By 95 to the end of the model run most of the niggardly things had been fixed.

You'll see stuff about CEs (??) in the US, I don't think they went anywhere else.

Things to check:
Cracks in the frame near the headstem
That the horizontal cylinder hasn't snapped a stud (mine went through several)
That the clutch slave doesn't leak (or has been replaced with an Evoluzione or similar)

Having the Rectifier replaced recently is a good thing, but, and I am hazy here, I have a feeling the reason it (keeps) blowing is the alternator. The early 2-phase (??) ones weren't as good? Having said that, my SL and SS hav never had any electrical problems.

Otherwise they are great bikes.

Watch out for the logging trucks! Where do you ride? Up to the Cameron Highlands or down the East coast to Singapore?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Ward!

Thanks for your comments. I lived in Singapore for six years (or was it seven?)! I had an Aprilia RS 125 there, and later a Honda NSR 150 SP (2000 model, which I bought brand new!).

Yes I ride up Cameron highlands to Genting, and up there by the golf course. It is a nice ride if you go early before it gets hot, and yes, avoid the trucks going a snail's pace.

Well, the 900 SS still isn't sold and the price is going down on it. I'll wait a bit longer for that one, or find another soon if I'm too late.

Cheers!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Ward!

Thanks for your comments. I lived in Singapore for six years (or was it seven?)! I had an Aprilia RS 125 there, and later a Honda NSR 150 SP (2000 model, which I bought brand new!).

Yes I ride up Cameron highlands to Genting, and up there by the golf course. It is a nice ride if you go early before it gets hot, and yes, avoid the trucks going a snail's pace.

Well, the 900 SS still isn't sold and the price is going down on it. I'll wait a bit longer for that one, or find another soon if I'm too late. Like you said, the 95s and newer are probably a safer bet, but this one really is in good condition... amazingly, so it might be a good find.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
1998 900 Fe

I need a little help from the Guru's out there too.........

I really want an 2003-2006 1000SS DS, but recently found 98 FE close to home and needless to say cheaper (ebay). Other than the fueling and carbon bits I don't see much diff between an older mid/late 90's 900ss and the 98 FE - right?

What's the weight, HP and torque numbers for the 98 FE??

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey Badass,

It's not the speed (or lack of it) of the trucks, it's their "whogivesa" attitude to bikes/other road users!! Yah, get up early and beat the heat a little - that's a lovely road up past the golf course (or used to be). Are the cops still as, err, "accomodating" and willing to solve minor issues there and then, without having to involve all those other legal processes? ;)

LOL, a couple of us were once pulled over just south of Kuantan doing something like 180 or 190 in a 90 zone - took forever to stop, and cost 50 bux!!! :)

Had an NSR250 in HK (sort of have to don't you?), and loved the little screamer - would imagine the 150 would be an even better blast.

Curious as to Ducati Malaysia - they any good? Spares and stuff? In Singapore the dealer sucked: Unless you had the latest 996/998, they just weren't interested. Ended up shipping all the spares in, but it made it a hassle.

Tip on buying the SS: make 'em an offer about 25% below what they're after, and tell them it'll decrease by 1000 ringgit every week after that! I can't imagine there're thousands of folk lining up to buy a '93SS in KL...

·
Registered
2 Posts
It'd be easy to convert an SS to and SL, so if you find one make sure it has the numbered clamp. I don't think there's any value added on the SLs (in terms of 'investment' (ahem), except for the first ones. SL I ('92?)

Ward..not too sure why you mention this? especially on the investment part. Why is the SL I is so great than? :confused:

I currently owned a 1996 SL V # 177...might considering to let it go ..... :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
SL 1 (1992) is the most desirable Superlight model because of the special lightweight (expensive) Marvic wheels. Later SL's used the standard SS wheels, but included a single seat and carbon fibre fenders and clutch cover. The "SP" version sold in the USA from 1995-98 was basically a dual-seat SL.

d.

·
Registered
688 Posts
For specs, features, and production numbers get the "Standard Catalog of Ducati" by Ian Faloon. It covers virtually all production Ducatis 1946-2005.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts