Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity I'm trying to price out my 916 and get a rough ballpark on what its value is... the issue is I cant find any form sale and NADA and blue book prices range from 3k to 10k

Just wanted to know realistic ballpark for both insurance on a clean low mileage (sub 10k) S1 with a P8 (before the rocker arm issues) But not stock. Most of the bike is after market and alot of money in parts. Carbon fiber parts throughout and performance parts as well (full 2 brothers carbon exhaust, chipped and yoyodyne racing clutch to name a few things). I know the market is a little tricky for non-stock classics... any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At work and don't really have any photos on my computer, here is this one I did have:

Image-1119.jpg

I will try to post more photos later but really just looking at a ball park.

All services done new fluids, gaskets, belts, filters etc. Tires have literally 50 miles on them. No damage, a little wear on the original parts so not show room but definitely clean for the year.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
That's a $5k bike.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a $5k bike.
Okay, as a follow question how realistic would it be to find another for 5k in your area? It's that something that comes up in that price range every so often by you?

I'm literally finding none of them in the DC area. Just kind of want to see comps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
1. Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
2. Hard to find comparables for a modified bike.
3. In general, with classic/collectible/desirable bikes, stock is best, or at least worth the most. Any mods probably detract from the value (possible exceptions are Termi exhaust and DP carbon/open clutch cover).

I don't see too many 916/996/998s around on this site or anywhere else. Those that are, are all over the map. In general, I would say a 916/996 is worth $5k, a 998 $6k, a 1098 $7-8k...
Honestly, I don't think that non-stock paint job is doing anything for resale value.
I sold a really nice, original red 996 with both solo and biposto seats/tails, both subframes, open clutch cover, Termis and 12k miles for $5k two years ago.

Bottom line--put whatever price you like on it. If you get no response to your ad, lower the price. Sooner or later, it will sell. Probably for less than you think it's worth. Such is life. :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
That's a $5k bike.

+1

IMHO, only a first time Ducati rider or race track guy would buy it, and that’s based on your very little description and one picture.

Your listed “performance” parts hardly impact the bikes’s performance nor the overall value.

Also, are you looking only for comps in DC?
Look up/down a couple of states for some real comparison. DC it’s not your typical bike market.

My 2 cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
PS: if the bike was ORIGINAL, in good used condition, and with service history probably $6500-6800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with the valuation given. Would be very optimistic to expect anywhere close to $10k

As a comparison of the other end of the market, I recently purchased a 1998 916 SPS with less than 500 miles, for $17k.

Reactions: paulmm600

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I agree with the valuation given. Would be very optimistic to expect anywhere close to $10k

As a comparison of the other end of the market, I recently purchased a 1998 916 SPS with less than 500 miles, for $17k.
That's a steal.

Reactions: O_2The_L

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
That's a $5k bike.
Someone who is near always correct on the value of Ducati items.

And I will disagree this time. It's down between $3.5k and $4k.

- Early era... that would cost a fortune to bring back to it's original value.
- Value of early era, devalued by the mods that have made it a "better" bike. (Not too bad choice in mods)
- The original graphics are gone
- A low mileage 97 will do the same job and reign in more money
- On a 20 year old antique a purchaser doesn't care about rocker arms

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's down between $3.5k and $4k.
Seems almost sad. But I did not keep mine (stock 97 BIP) because I hoped it would be valuable, I kept it for sentimental reasons.

My local dealer wants $12.5k for their one, I joked about it with the sales guy who tells anyone who asks $25k: 1995 Ducati 916 Monoposto (Watch out, bad SSL certificate on the site).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Classic supply vs demand, the early 916 series vary wildly, the 94 solo seat version is now highly collectible in std form because there are cashed up guys who could only dream of that bike when it was new, and some (like me) who could afford one but couldn't buy one for love nor money because they were available in only very limited numbers. I "settled" for a 748SP that i waited a fair while for and it was sexy as in yellow....

All the 916 bikes with the classic Cagiva style logos in gold and silver are desirable to an extent but if it hasn't been looked after or it's been modified it's basically just an old bike and the value reflects that.

Mods are very subjective, and i modify all my bikes but it reduces the value because not everyone will like what you have done, genuine parts, termis and D/P mods are the most accepted on Ducati, aftermarket stuff not so much. The general theme seems to return them to original and the more mods the more expense to make it how it was...

The rocker issues didn't occur until the 996 series i thought?? i never had an issue until i hit trouble with my S4R (996)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, are you looking only for comps in DC?
Look up/down a couple of states for some real comparison. DC it’s not your typical bike market.
I've looked within 250 miles of here, pretty much the mid Atlantic, cant really find any.

PS: if the bike was ORIGINAL, in good used condition, and with service history probably $6500-6800.
By original do you just mean put the stock fairngs back on and go back to the older wheels? That I might do if your saying it's almost a 2k differece.... Or do you mean take off all the carbon parts, remove the exhaust, remove the clutch and put it all back to the original? I dont have all those original parts... and I definitely wouldn't to spend time downgrading it.

Not expecting 10k, just wanted to point out the range and get a feeler for where I might be at.

And that is a steal!

Someone who is near always correct on the value of Ducati items.

And I will disagree this time. It's down between $3.5k and $4k.

- Early era... that would cost a fortune to bring back to it's original value.
- Value of early era, devalued by the mods that have made it a "better" bike. (Not too bad choice in mods)
- The original graphics are gone
- A low mileage 97 will do the same job and reign in more money
- On a 20 year old antique a purchaser doesn't care about rocker arms
It seems you are viewing this possibly more from a antique collector's point of view, and not a motorcycle riders? Yeah, should the time come, that would definitely not be my target buying group here with this.

And I would love to be in your market area, your seeking fulley retored 916s for 3500? Literally that is the price of used vespa scooters here

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/great-falls-2014-stella-vespa-px/6845813840.html

All the 916 bikes with the classic Cagiva style logos in gold and silver are desirable to an extent but if it hasn't been looked after or it's been modified it's basically just an old bike and the value reflects that.

Mods are very subjective, and i modify all my bikes but it reduces the value because not everyone will like what you have done, genuine parts, termis and D/P mods are the most accepted on Ducati, aftermarket stuff not so much. The general theme seems to return them to original and the more mods the more expense to make it how it was...

The rocker issues didn't occur until the 996 series i thought?? i never had an issue until i hit trouble with my S4R (996)
Still got all the Cagiva logos, but I can definitely see your point there.

For sure, mods are extremely subjective. They will cut out a share of the market, but will highlight a smaller share still as well.

Case and point I had a zrx the was completely rebuilt from the ground up and heavily modded, the older "should have kept it stock guys" were saying it was now only worth 2500, though ended up selling for 7500 to someone who wanted exactly what I had done.

Me personally I would never buy a used bike that wasn't upgraded. If your actually planning on riding or hitting the track you can save a lot this way.

I'm about 8k into it now total (bike and restore) just about finished and wanted everything to be like new, not original but new. I know that for sure customization cuts out a big part of the market and am seeing that... well I guess when the time comes, I'll find out for sure...lol

Appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
And I would love to be in your market area, your seeking fulley retored 916s for 3500? Literally that is the price of used vespa scooters here
It's not fully restored. It's a 95 916 with parts from different years. My point is that with the modifications it makes no difference if it is a 95 or 97.

Do I think it is worth more than $3.5k-$4k. Yes. If I was well to do I would offer $5 b/c in years to come people will be paying a fortune for some of the parts on that bike. Good luck finding a P8 in good condition in 10-15 years at a reasonable price.

If my wife an I had been unable to have children, I would have been collecting parts for the 748-999 for the last many years.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not fully restored. It's a 95 916 with parts from different years. My point is that with the modifications it makes no difference if it is a 95 or 97.

If my wife an I had been unable to have children, I would have been collecting parts for the 748-999 for the last many years.
I believe, as its the only one I could find in the state of Texas you are taking about the 97 Biposto in Mckinney that was in an accident and still has unrepaired cosmetic damage? This also has 40,000 miles on it and He is still asking 4k for it.

I might be biased, well honestly I know I'm biased here...but I feel like that might be a stretch of a comp.

Oh and I hear you on the Kids, have 4, and though I have owned quite a few bikes, never since I have had kids have I owned more then 1 of them concurrently (excluding a week or two of overlap). Hence why I want to get pricing, as every year or two I sell and move onto another Bike. This for me keeps the joy alive when you cant have a stable in your garage.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
I believe, as its the only one I could find in the state of Texas you are taking about the 97 Biposto in Mckinney that was in an accident and still has unrepaired cosmetic damage? This also has 40,000 miles on it and He is still asking 4k for it.
That's not going to bring $4k.

And I didn't pay that close attention to the one poor photo earlier, but if the fairings aren't clean or original that it won't bring $5k either. The 5 spoke wheels neither help nor hurt the value, but nobody wants a Two Brothers/Vance and Hines/or other non Termignoni exhaust.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nobody wants a Two Brothers/Vance and Hines/or other non Termignoni exhaust.
Um, clearly "someone" wants a two brothers... as I bought it....lol

A full system with both manufacturers has similar gains over the stock exhaust system... so its preference here, though I do get that preference often dictates sale speed.

I also get that Termignoni took the ducati market... though what other people have, rarely dictates what I want.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I picked up my '97 916 at the end of last year for around $1700, plus a couple hundred for some aluminum marchesinis that weren't mounted on the bike. It was ridiculously dirty, and needed a bunch of parts...

Pretty much all fluids, brake pads, fuel filter, oil filter, belts, clutch plates, new eccentric hub, swingarm axle and bearings pulled and replaced... and it has aftermarket carbon fiber track plastics, not the stock, so it doesn't quite have that classic ducati look... I'm probably in for about $3500 and it is nearing completion. I've seen a few bikes come up in CT/MA but they are either collector's bikes or track-only bikes and newer bikes that can be had for less are better on the track, in general... so the market is tough for these guys.

I probably won't ever sell this thing, it's not worth it to me to sell it and it's really just a great looking bike. Maybe it'll be a future electric motorcycle conversion candidate, the frame is very open, could work great for that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts