Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just jumped from a VFR 800 to the 999. I enjoy the ride alot. Hwever I'm wondering if you more experienced riders can tell me what to expect or look out for as I acclimate myself to the 999.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The power delivery is pretty linear on the 999, tame actually. The new Superbikes aren't quirky like the 996-998 (clutch and throttle like an on/off switch). So really the move from a VFR to a Ducati 999 will be quite simple. The 999 won't feel as top heavy as the VFR, and the 999 will turn in so much quicker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mirror.

I decided on the Ducati because I wanted a more distinct ride than a run of the mill litre bike. So I'm looking for all the myths that I've heard:

The bike is:

Hard to turn
Unreliable
Uncomfortable

Just wondered how seasoned riders describe their experience.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yep...those are all myths!!! With some reservations of course

Hard to turn... 110% myth!
unreliable... Take care of it, stay on top of your maintenance, and ride ride ride it.
Uncomfortable...Debatable. I've done 350+ mile days and usually commute on my 749 (same bike basically). Don't get me wrong, it's no GoldWing by any stretch but the smile factor and joy of riding outweighs all other factors for me. I do think 400 per day would be about reaching my limit though. I think my 749 is actually more comfortable than my SS, but it could be that smile factor thing again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Comfort is all relative.. I rode my 996 from Western Germany to Italy in one day, all said about 800 miles without incident. Reliability.... When the switched over to the Japanese charging bits around 1998 things got better, in fact I don't hear much about electrical problems any more other than discharged batteries. Keep a battery tender on it periodically if you leave your bike sitting for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
+1

i think the number for "hard turn" is a bit low, it may be 600% myth. i've gsxr'ed vfr'ed cbr'ed bmw'ed and r6'ed. my 748 is the easiest to lay down, i bet your 999 is even easier.

maintainance. your bike is Italian. take care of it, and you will be ok. the only real problem (which seem to be less than more) is eletronics and/or the rocker arms, but on your model i don't know if rocker flaking is a problem. i've beat my bike to rather unkindly, and at 17500miles i have full compression and no problems other than the ones i, not the bike, created.

comfort- same as above. coming off your vfr you may find your 999 less comfortable on those longer rides. i've put 600miles in a day without comfort issues.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i think the rap for hard turning comes from that the bike wants you to really ride it for it to perform ,rather than just falling into corners.start moving around on it and you'll be impressed.comfort,not.but again,if your really riding it you won't have a problem.just cruzzin on a interstate it sucks.and for me with 11000 on mine had no problems.yup next bike will also be a duc

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hard to turn? absolute Horse-pucky.
Unreliable? Like other posters have said: take care of it, and it will take care of you
Uncomfortable? Not really. I think this may be a lingering stigma from the old 748/996 generation. I have done 400+mile days on my 749R and wouldn't hesitate to do more. Terblanche, to his credit, actually paid attention to ergonomics on the new SBKs.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ja, Terblanche is the man.

The new bikes are Japanese like in reliability other than the 6000 mile valve adjustments.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Thier web site still says 4 lines/20mm. Where did you get the 3 lines from? Guess it wouldn't be that much difference anyways. 3 lines would be a tad, unmeasurable amount slower turn in but also a bit more stable correct?? I'm still learning all this stuff. My bike still has the factory (I guess) setting of two lines showing. I don't have the proper stand or way to adjust mine at home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts