Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you fantastic fanatics are working on an aluminum tank.
But what about another Idea maybe adapting a tank from a different bike???? I Know it would change everything but... one could put there OEM tank on the shelf ans swap out for something different?? I don't know??? a supersport tank or Whatever?? anyone try anything like this???Got any picks

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14:40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15:41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I guess that you could put on any tank you could make fit on the bike. And, some forum guys have made their own custom tanks too.

But a lot of us fell in love with the shape of the stock tank, and the efforts to build a replacement have followed the stock form, so far.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've thought about getting a tank off Benji's Cafe for the CBs, they're strap on but I don't have one around. I don't know how the fuel pump issue would work...

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tank future

I too love the look of the stock tank even if I heard it described as "Bulbous and Crude" in a book I bought for my son funny I lost the new book before he saw it LOL

Seems like Ducati might never give us a lasting fix
The BSA Style tanks are close too

I would buy into the aluminum tank project, but it's like 1,800 $$$ WOW that's some serious kala... but my baby deserves the best... Looking forward to figuring out all of our mutual tank woes...

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14:40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15:41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
uh??? I don't remember! oops... maybe it's different? OK does anyone know the approximate price for the aluminum tanks that are being conceived and hopefully available soon.
sorry if I mis-spoke
Thanks SE84

ok here is the thread on the tanks... I'm still sifting to find a price????
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=64418&highlight=aluminum+tank
The reason I asked, is because I'm the sort-of project manager for the tank effort.

No price has been determined at this time.

When there is some news to report around this, it will be posted on the site listed at the end of the thread you mentioned.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If I recall correctly, originally there were at least two different camps investigating the aluminum tank idea. Perhaps his 1800 number was one once being kicked about by a different camp.

As far as another model's tank, any existing metal tank could fairly easily have it's internal attachment points modified to fit, but the fuel pump section has to line up, and the front is going to place itself according to the fuel pump "tail." Thus, the length has to be just about the same. If it was not terribly diffcult to make it work, you'd THINK someone would already have done it, but maybe not.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
If I recall correctly, originally there were at least two different camps investigating the aluminum tank idea. Perhaps his 1800 number was one once being kicked about by a different camp.

As far as another model's tank, any existing metal tank could fairly easily have it's internal attachment points modified to fit, but the fuel pump section has to line up, and the front is going to place itself according to the fuel pump "tail." Thus, the length has to be just about the same. If it was not terribly diffcult to make it work, you'd THINK someone would already have done it, but maybe not.
You are correct. Brooksie was investigating a tank on his own, I believe. There may have been a few others as well. But, for our effort, we are trying to come up with a more mass-produced piece, that has a lower price.

Still waiting on Bruce (Hardball) for more data around the pricing, currently.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I know some of you fantastic fanatics are working on an aluminum tank.
But what about another Idea maybe adapting a tank from a different bike???? I Know it would change everything but... one could put there OEM tank on the shelf ans swap out for something different?? I don't know??? a supersport tank or Whatever?? anyone try anything like this???Got any picks
I'm sure that it is possible to make a lot of different tanks work, but as for a direct swap, any of the Sport Classics swap cleanly. The GT tanks do need to have a GT seat with them or else you will have a gap of about an inch and a half between the GT tank and the Sport seat.

I've got an extra GT tank (red) if anyone is interested.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts