Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the old lead acid battery that came with the bike of unknown age or condition. The bike would start, but it was slow to turn over and seemed really weak. Even fresh off the trickle charger it would really struggle. I just got my new Motobatt AGM installed and holy shit! It's 40 something degrees out, it's got FCRs so no choke, and fired immediately. Couldn't believe, was expecting to spend 5 minutes fiddling with it until it stayed running.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
After not exactly seeing a large selection in its somewhat odd size, I landed on the same some 4-5 years ago and seems to be holding up very well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MB16au. I got mine from amazon because I had a gift card but there are several places to order from

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mu 916 runs like shit when the batt is getting old. For that thing, 12.5v is a dead battery. The AGM batts though have helped a lot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
+1 on the Motobatt. I installed one on my 96 SS/SP in 2016, and just replaced it with another one last week. 4 years of consistent service is OK by me. I replaced it because it was not holding a charge and kept it as a spare.

40 Posts
Hey guys, Chad w/Antigravity Batteries here. Just wanted to throw out lithium as an option that you might consider as well if your old battery is not cutting it. It will certainly make a difference in starting performance. While the stock size is a bit of an oddball you can easily put something a little smaller in there with a lithium option and possibly use some foam or come up with another use for the extra space. Either way you'll get some huge cranking and drop a little weight at the same time.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you think a new battery makes a difference, you should install larger gauge battery cables from the starter to the solenoid, from the solenoid to the starter, and a ground directly from battery to starter. It will jump to life in less than 2 seconds.

Fred

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Agreed. If you don’t like the price of the pre- made cable kits ( I had one just a hair short) I have found Monster cable for car audio has very high quality wire and ends in large sizes available so you can make your own.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you make your own cables be sure to use cable with silicone insulation designed for high temperature use.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already had the motolectric cable kit installed. That plus the new battery is pretty much instantaneous starting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts