Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this exhaust system on more recent year/models, but I didn't know they'd fit on 1990s 900SS/CR models. Or is there some other trickery happening here (specifically pic #1). I'm aware that the tail pipes have been cut off.

** Are they any lighter than a stock rig with bazooka-tube mufflers? (Termis, stockers).

** Do they offer better performance when chopped like those are ("better" meaning a flatter torque curve, better midrange)?

** Do they fit without hassle on 900cc air cooled engines, or is there a lot of hackenchop and retrofitting involved?

:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
It's an aftermarket system, to locate the weight down low. Not made anymore as I recall. Maybe just not imported anymore.

Someone will be along in a moment to give us the name and maybe extoll their virtues...

I always liked the idea, but they looked a little...unfinished. At least for the price.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Quat'D ex-box IIRC

I have a couple customers with them and for me it is a mixed bag.

I love the look from the front and back with no pipes hanging out on the sides.
I do not love the look of a toaster between the rear wheel and engine.

I do not like the sound as it is tinny/metallic sounding.
I do like that you do not need to re-pack ever.
I do like the fact you are going to work to damage the pipe in a tip over.

Well made? I would say yes, a customer bought a mis-manufactured one for his m900 and we had to get a pipe re-angled.
Would I own one? probably yes if I came across one for the right price, try and hear one first so you can decide on the sound for yourself.

Happy hunting

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... Quat'D ex-box ...

Oh! Right! ..... now it comes back to me. I remember looking into them about five years back or so.

I've really no intention of buying/installing them, I was just curious. I mean, ya never know what the future may hold but as it stands for now I've no intention of purchasing them.

I think I recall something about their ~tinny~ tone, now that I think of it. Neat idea, no doubt there ... lower center of gravity and no hashed slip ons in a lay over or garage mishap and all that jazz. For now I'll stick with what I've got (or have en route .. GPRs). I'm more interested in getting the bike running smoothly, safely, and reliably. So the focus is pretty much on those issues. Meanwhile attending the MST course here in Arizona is the other priority. The "M" addendum on my license expired years ago.

Thanks for the help! For the life of me I could not recall what they were.

:)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... $1500 for new ones on eBay.

Yea ... maybe later ..... much much later.

:|

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Video. I picked one with an enclosed clutch to eliminate as much clutch rattle from the audio as possible. Some videos the clutch rattle overwhelms the exhaust note.

Sound? Meh ... I've heard better ... I've heard worse.

If I ever find a spare $1500 bucks that I have no use for I may consider them. Emphasis on ~may~.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't like these kind of pipes. First of all they're to big I think. Not nice.
But especially because I'm a huge fan of the typical double Ducati-pipes (early Monsters, SS, 8**...).

Even with bikes as the Hypermotard I'm glad Ducati dropped the huge low-mounted muffler and went back with the double underseat exhaust.
Or the 1299 Panigale Final Edition! Even better with the two short Akrapovic mufflers between the seat and the wheel!
I just love that aggressive look when standing behind the bike.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have $1500 to spare, according to the (unwritten) forum rules you should buy Keihins first.
:wink2:
If I had $1500 to spare that would mean I've already bought a set of 41's and they've been scratched from the list.

:laugh:

I will say one thing in support of dual "side pipes". I know that back a few years when the AMA had that Harley XR1200R "spec" class that the only exhaust that was permitted were a set of Vance & Hines right side duals. It was clear that in a lay-down on the right hand side the pipes took the hit and protected the rest of the bike. Harley Sportster engines are particularly vulnerable and can be badly damaged in even what some would consider to be a "light fall". Those pipes really protected the engine on the right side, enough that after a fall the rider could pick the 525 pound bike up and resume racing. That was demonstrated time after time in televised races.

So the dual side pipes on Ducatis may also serve to protect other more crucial parts of the bike in the event of a layover, front-end washout, or other "light fall". Better the mufflers/stingers than a crankcase.

Sometimes even in nasty high sides those pipes helped take the hit on those XR1200s. In the early days of that series those bikes had the swingarm pivot going through the stock rubber engine mounts! Made for a hairy ride sometimes, as the bike would wind up, then release that energy in most inopportune fashion .....

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts