Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1922 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

"Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That never Ends" ... triple live album.

Side one of album number one is especially good. The 26 minute long "Tarkus" suite as well as the live version of "Toccata" still move me even though I've listened to them since 1976. I still have my original vinyl.

My first ELP album was their very first release (1971 .. I was 10). It was the first piece of music I ever picked out for myself. I went to a local music store and asked the long-hair/muttin chops/bell-bottoms dood behind the counter for music with "a lot of organ". I didn't know what a synthesizer was, and at the time there was a song on the radio called "Passport to the Future" that had some synth passages. To me, a synth was an "organ" ... what did I know? ... I was only 10 years old for cryin' out loud. So he turns around to the shelf behind him ... the "new releases" stuff ... he grabs ELP's new/first release and hands it to me (in 8 track, of course) and tells me it had a lot of organ stuff and that I was sure to like it. I listened to it for years, trying hard to ~get it~ ... but a lot of it was lost on me. At 15 years old I heard their album "Brain Salad Surgery" and it all suddenly clicked .... like super hard. I couldn't get enough of this stuff called "progressive rock" ... I was forever hooked. Between ELP and Kansas I drove my parents nuts.

ELP was the very first live ~rock concert~ I ever saw ... 1978 .. I was 17 (Image #3 ticket stub). I sold my precious racing dirt bike to buy my first two instruments after seeing that show. With the money, I bought a 1965 Hammond M100 (which I named "The Barbarian") and a brand new ARP Axxe synth. I was in my first rock band a few months later. In my first three piece just a few months after that.

Images #1 and #2 are my original M100 and the ARP Axxe synth on top.

Image #4 is my current Hammond. A 1962 Hammond A102 that I converted to a full-on C3, just like Keith Emerson's.

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
5,133 Posts
Hilltop Hoods.
South Australian band.

obsessed with the chick in the shorts!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Atlanta Rythym Section............obligatory Sunday night f ball game on as well.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Steeley Dan. Aja...............if your a fan, you know how prolific this album is.

·
Señor Member
8,078 Posts
My son and his girlfriend recommended La Santa Cecilia and I went to see them on Monday evening at Amoeba Music in Hollywood for a short set to announce the release of their new LP. Great local band.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
"Who gives a fuck" ..... hells yea.

Dayum son! Daltry sounds great! I still miss Mooney and Entwistle though. John is one of my favorite bassists, along with Geddy Lee.

Excellent stuff! I'm so glad to hear some new rock music. Hip Hop has all but killed rock ... a further testament to the absolute shit that American mainstream consumers have in the way of musical taste.

1841 - 1860 of 1922 Posts