Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up a 2005 M620 with 1700 miles on it. When the bike is cold, and I pull in the clutch, I have to give the bike a good tug to break the plates free and roll the bike out of the garage. Once the plates are free, it rolls freely, and once started the clutch engagement point is about 3/4 to 1 inch from the grip.

I changed the fluid and bleed the clutch, found no air, and had no noticeable effect on the problem.

So, my questions are:

1) Is this normal with a wet clutched Ducati?
2) If this is not normal, what is the root cause?
3) Should I take apart the clutch and clean the plates?
4) Should I bleed it again?

Some background: Both the previous owner and my wife, who rides the bike most of the time, are relatively new riders and may slip the clutch more than normal. The bike currently has 10-40 Motul oil in it, I've always run 20-50 in my 900, but the manual says 10-40 is just fine.

Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
On my monster and SS with wet clutch i dont have to push it for the clutch to disengage (i do on my laverda 500, wich has a dry clutch though). With both the clutch engagement point is at the very end of the lever travel.

I'm not sure if what youre experiencing is "wrong" though.

I can only guess about the cause... perhaps thick oil (since temp seems to mather) or a worn clutch basket? Just guessing though.
Don't think bleeding will help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Try this..... after starting the bike, while it is neutral, pull in the clutch and rev the throttle a few times. Once the plates are broken apart you shouldn't have an issue when you put it into gear. My old bike did the same thing, a lot of jap bikes with wet clutches do the same thing. Bleeding the clutch won't help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts