Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the local drag strip last night with a few friends.
1st Pass
11.50 @120 lost to a big inch Harley
2nd Pass
11.20 @ 123 Beat a zx6
3rd Pass
11.11 @ 124.9! Beat a GSXR 750
4th Run
Clutch slipped a little in 3rd so I got out of it.

Bikes mods
2002 st4s
DP Pipes
Open Air Box Lid w/ K&N
Power Commander tuned by Fast by Ferracci

I can see the bike in the 10's with some practice. I had a blast!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Wow! how do you keep from wheelie'ing?
And what gears are you running? 42 rear?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now thats cool ! I love the idea of drag racing a touring bike. Tell me what RPM's were you running off the line, and what gear were in going through the traps, I never formally ran at the track but use to experament with drag racing starts on a lonely, deserted road with a 94'CB 1000. The rear tire spinning the front end coming up, God it was exhilarating. Is it not all about clutch modulation?...... As with most things in life.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its all in the clutch. Slipping it off the line then giving it hell after that :p
I grew up around drag racing so I always picked my Dads brain about how he would leave at the starting line. Bike would want to wheelie in 1st and 2nd but you just stay in it and keep your weight over the front end. The clutch start slipping at the last pass because it was hot from the previous passes since I don't have an open clutch cover. I was leaving the line around 5-6k and shifting around 10K going through the traps in top of 4th around 9.5K.

·
Registered
336 Posts
LOL thats cool :D

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I went to the local drag strip last night with a few friends.
1st Pass
11.50 @120 lost to a big inch Harley
2nd Pass
11.20 @ 123 Beat a zx6
3rd Pass
11.11 @ 124.9! Beat a GSXR 750
4th Run
QUOTE]

That's darn good. I've done a bit a playing at the drag strip too and I can vouch for how hard it is to get the launch down. Those last couple of tenths are really hard to come by. The guys that do all the magazine tests are really good and it's quite hard to match the time they get and publish. You're getting very close though.

This also brings to mind a thread from a couple of weeks ago about ST4 vs ST3. I've just resently started riding with a friend that has a 4 and I can vouch for how fast the 4 is. In a straight line it walks away from my 3. Not drastically so but very consistantly. The 4's are fast. :)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Should have left the bags on. Much more shameful for the "loser". ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what was your 60 ft. times? I took my ST4s to the track a couple of years ago and ran a string of 11.2's/123mph with a 60 ft. time of 1.82 ( I have ran consistent 1.72's with other street bikes but these ST's are wheelie monsters). I have done some tuning on the ST and returned this year but was hampered by bad weather and only got a couple of passes turning a 11.0/127mph with a poor 60 ft. time of 1.88. I hope to get back and give it another try soon. Your times are quite stout as these bikes are hard to launch! These bikes are actually very quick, I have a Suzuki RF900 that I have ran a 10.42/132mph, when I stage roll-ons with the ST4s and the RF the ST actually pulls the RF initially and then the RF pulls back with speed coming about even in the first 5 gears but the ST is hard to launch quickly. They aren't really drag bikes, they are road racers with saddle bags!

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
19,072 Posts
They aren't really drag bikes, they are road racers with saddle bags!

Jerry
04 ST4s
But remember, every road race starts with a drag race.
Well, at least until DMG came along and tried to Nascarize the 600 class.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you don't mind me asking, what was your 60 ft. times? I took my ST4s to the track a couple of years ago and ran a string of 11.2's/123mph with a 60 ft. time of 1.82 ( I have ran consistent 1.72's with other street bikes but these ST's are wheelie monsters). I have done some tuning on the ST and returned this year but was hampered by bad weather and only got a couple of passes turning a 11.0/127mph with a poor 60 ft. time of 1.88. I hope to get back and give it another try soon. Your times are quite stout as these bikes are hard to launch! These bikes are actually very quick, I have a Suzuki RF900 that I have ran a 10.42/132mph, when I stage roll-ons with the ST4s and the RF the ST actually pulls the RF initially and then the RF pulls back with speed coming about even in the first 5 gears but the ST is hard to launch quickly. They aren't really drag bikes, they are road racers with saddle bags!

Jerry
04 ST4s
My 60fts kinda sucked. My 11.11 pass was a 1.88. The 4th pass where the clutch slipped was a 1.75. That would of been an awesome pass if the clutch wasn't so damn hot. If I get my 60fts to where you are at Ill be cracking tens.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My 60fts kinda sucked. My 11.11 pass was a 1.88. The 4th pass where the clutch slipped was a 1.75. That would of been an awesome pass if the clutch wasn't so damn hot. If I get my 60fts to where you are at Ill be cracking tens.
1.75, that's awesome! You obviously have a good clutch hand. The clutch control that it takes to get one of these animals in the 1.7's is likely what got your clutch so hot. Your bike seems to be a strong runner. What kind of power did Ferracci get from it?

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dyno sheet I have says 110.73whp 70.78 lbs torque.
I have to give all the credit to the previous owner, he took GREAT care of the bike. I have every single receipt for the bike since the day it was new. I bought it with 30K on it and now its got almost has 40K.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The next time I go to the strip I am going to lower my bars to the lower position (my 04 has the adjustable bars, in the raised location). Getting my elbows down out of the air would only help when trying to push the front wheel down in the first 2 two gears! It is fun though!

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The next time I go to the strip I am going to lower my bars to the lower position (my 04 has the adjustable bars, in the raised location). Getting my elbows down out of the air would only help when trying to push the front wheel down in the first 2 two gears! It is fun though!

Jerry
04 ST4s
Hell yeah its fun! :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well I managed to get back to a track last weekend. I didn't manage to break into the 10's but I did pull a number of 1.7/60ft times, but each 1.7 was followed by monster 2nd gear wheelies! My quickest times (11.0/11.1) were with 1.8/60ft times, being conservative keeps the wheelies down. I just didn't put it together. I did learn a few things though! After seeing how well Bill did on his ST4s with a 40 tooth sprocket it got me thinking about how difficult mine is with a 43 tooth sprocket. So I brought along a 42 tooth sprocket, made some passes with the 43 and then changed to the 42. Instantly the bike was easier to ride,went a little quicker and picked up some speed at the finish line! My bike has been harder on fuel with the 43 tooth so I don't think that I will ever use it again. I am actually considering trying a 41 tooth as the bike is still a monster with the 42 tooth. I also did a experiment with spark plugs, between a set of DCPR9IEX (projector plugs) and DR8E plugs, with no measurable difference in speed and times at all. The DCPR9IEX plugs do give cleaner partial throttle running and a slight increase in fuel mileage, so I will continue to use them. I couldn't make any passes with the handlebars in the lowered position as I had a seized bolt on one side which fouled that plan.
Was a good day, my son got out on the RF900 and my nephew brought his GSXR600, everybody got a lot of runs in.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
19,072 Posts
Just curious. What did the 600 turn?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts