Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a new bike and had the Streetfighter on my mind for months. Already own a Speed Triple, a few inline 4 from the Japanese and have lusted over a Duc for quite some time. An admitted hp freak not wanting to ride a painfest full-on sportbike, the SF seemed like the right bike. Then I saw the Monster 1100 in gloss black.

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but ss there a more beautiful bike in the world?? Even my friend who I "forced" to go into the shop (her first time, the hesitation entering into the bike shop on her behalf was classic!) - not knowing which bike was which - said "Is that the Streetfighter? It's gorgeous."

Nope, the SF is over here. That's a Monster. While I jumped around the SF my friend would not stop staring at the Monster which made me take a second look. And a third, fourth.

Gonna read up on the Monster this weekend before taking it for a ride. As a Triumph Speed Triple owner I know full well that the riding experience and joy has less to do with peak horsepower and blah blah blah. Something tells me the styling and sound and presumed permagrin may find a Monster in the garage next week.

My friend hours later asked "so if you get the Monster can I have a ride?" She's never asked that about any bike I've owned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find the SF flat-out ugly. It's only sexy in a setting somewhere in a post-apocalyptic future. Otherwise I think the Monster and SC are better looking. I settled on a GT over a Monster at the behest of my wifey but the Monster is where my heart is at. -Pk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the Monster 1100 is the most beautiful naked bike out there. It is muscular, yet sexy at the same time. The 696 is not quite there due to 3 things. It looks too low (1100 is 40mm higher), it doesn't have the single sided swingarm that the 1100 has, and the rear tyres look too narrow. I like the SF for the power, but you can't go past the Monster for the looks! Let us know how you go with the test ride. I am interested to hear the impression of a S3 owner on both the Monster 1100 and SF. I am actually thinking of buying a SF or S3 in a few months to add to the collection.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Btw, for some reason female love the lines of the Monster! This has been tested quite a few times with my friends. Shortly after I got my M1100, I went out with a close female friend of mine. And while we were having coffee, she told me about how her boss just got a Ducati as well (which I found out later is a 1198S) and how she didn't think much about it and bike just has never been her thing. Then when we were done, I took her outside to see my bike. Her reaction was priceless, as she yelled out "Oh my god, that is sexy! I have never seen a bike this sexy before! Take me for a ride!". Yup, this is a girl who has no interest in bikes at all...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I find the SF flat-out ugly. It's only sexy in a setting somewhere in a post-apocalyptic future. Otherwise I think the Monster and SC are better looking. I settled on a GT over a Monster at the behest of my wifey but the Monster is where my heart is at. -Pk
Agreed. When I first saw the pics of the new SF I immediately sought out a black S4RS. Fortunately for me the prices were down in anticipation of its replacement :)

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the Monster 1100 is the most beautiful naked bike out there. It is muscular, yet sexy at the same time. The 696 is not quite there due to 3 things. It looks too low (1100 is 40mm higher), it doesn't have the single sided swingarm that the 1100 has, and the rear tyres look too narrow. I like the SF for the power, but you can't go past the Monster for the looks! Let us know how you go with the test ride. I am interested to hear the impression of a S3 owner on both the Monster 1100 and SF. I am actually thinking of buying a SF or S3 in a few months to add to the collection.
I haven't had a chance to test ride a SF, but I do have both a M1100S and a S3 (recent purchase). I'm still walking the S3 through the break-in steps, but I'll tell you that even at low revs and mild corners, it speaks to me in a completely different way than my Monster does. I loved them both within the first two miles of riding them. For me, the S3 feels a little bigger, a little more stable, and a heck of a lot better than the Monster for two-up riding. My gf was very happy on the back of the S3.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had a chance to see the SF in person last thursday at a bike outing and next to the Monster it deffinately has very little sex apeal. I'm sure it will run cirles around the Monster but the with the Termi's on it....it was HOT!

·
Registered
871 Posts
The SF is OK; however, I would never trade my S4RS for one. IMO, the SF looks similar to the Benelli TNT, but not as over done. Tell me that white beauty below isn't classier than a SF, LOL.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
That's a pretty sweet bike alright.

I agree that the SF seems a bit overwrought by comparison. Haven't see one in real life yet, but if I were in your shoes I woudn't feel the need to "upgrade" either.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had the chance to ride both the sf and the M1100 both with termis on. Before riding I thought the new sf was going to be my next bike. I like the M1100 a lot but I wish they put the 1098 engine there instead. The monster felt better on the corners and looked better than the new sf . the engine on the sf was amazing but there was something about the monster that was amazing that the sf didn't have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Montducati, my M1100 has a white body and red frame like yours (it was a red bike originally and we swapped the white body on it). If I keep this bike, I will be painting the wheels black. Seeing your exact colour combo gave me the confidence that it is going to work. :)

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
As an S4Rs owner, I find it hard to believe there could be a better bike for especially after mine has been setup nicely. I like the new Monster too but would find it hard to give up the power. The Streetfighter I have yet to ride (first on the list once my shoulder is healed) but in nature it is different because it is a naked superbike (ie 1098 based) rather than a naked roadster like the current and past Monsters.

Ducati Monster S4Rs Review

Ducati Monster 1100S Review

·
Registered
871 Posts
Montducati, my M1100 has a white body and red frame like yours (it was a red bike originally and we swapped the white body on it). If I keep this bike, I will be painting the wheels black. Seeing your exact colour combo gave me the confidence that it is going to work. :)
Yea, it seemed to work out well. I did receive positive feedback on the bike when it was red; however, it seems to draw even more attention now.

Just an FYI in case you don't already know, powder coating is your best option for the wheels. Post some pics when your finished.

Rob

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks Rob. I will be getting a professional to do the wheel painting so I am not sure how they do it. But local Ducati importer use them for any work their clients want on their Ducatis so I am sure they use the best method possible. I will ask them if it is powdercoated and I certainly will post a pic if I do it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I haven't had a chance to test ride a SF, but I do have both a M1100S and a S3 (recent purchase). I'm still walking the S3 through the break-in steps, but I'll tell you that even at low revs and mild corners, it speaks to me in a completely different way than my Monster does. I loved them both within the first two miles of riding them. For me, the S3 feels a little bigger, a little more stable, and a heck of a lot better than the Monster for two-up riding. My gf was very happy on the back of the S3.
Does the S3 feel a lot heavier? Is it as easy to change direction as the Monster? Go test drive the SF and tell me how they compare. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Montducati, I definitely prefer the way it looks now! Can you post bigger pics of the current colour scheme?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts