Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a tip if any of you have wrestled with the well nuts. I ran taps through the threads and they work much better now. For some reason the threads are a bit tight, maybe too shallow? I have some new ones that haven't been used yet and they also benefited from having the threads chased a bit.

I didn't even need to use a holder, I just worked the two taps by hand with rubber coated gloves on (my usual tinkering method) until they ran freely. The screws are a breeze now.

I haven't road tested it yet but I don't anticipate the screws working loose since the rubber compresses and keeps them under tension.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use just a drop of light oil on the screw when they start to bind.
(I'm sure I'd get grease all over everything.)
:)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered lubing the screws but it's another step in the already somewhat tedious process, chasing the threads should be a one time fix.

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a newb to Ducati, but what are well nuts?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Google is your friend? I don't mean to chastise you for asking a question, but a quick search on Google would have found you the answer much sooner.

A well nut is just a little rubber cylinder with a lip that locates it in its mount. A metal nut is inserted into the rubber, in this case a brass one, and the bolt or screw threads into that. As it is compressed, the rubber expands which prevents it from pulling through its mount (along with an initial bulge in the rubber). The easiest way to visualize though is to just perform the search and pull up one of the sites that are returned...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
They are those little things under your bike that you will soon be swearing at and replacing.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I've found that even chased they corrode with time, grease prevents that.

Tom
Grease won't cut the threads deeper though, that's why I tapped them, only took a few minutes. Even the brand new unused ones needed it. You grease, I'll tap, howsat?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
No need to chase threads unless you have way too much time on your hands; anti-sieze works a treat.
Anti-seize is not a given. I used it every time on my 900 and still had problems. I speculated the problem was exposure to the elements and too much dielectric effect between brass and steel. Only reliable solution is to convert to DZUS fasteners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts