Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used my kill switch
Had to cycle the key back and forth about 6 times before the bike would start again amidst laughing from friends

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yep. Had the same thing happen. But I missed a race because of it. I have taken the switch completely apart and cleaned it and put dielectric grease on all off the connections I could find, seems to work fine now...but...I will not use the kill switch at the track unless it is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been reading a bit about this issue
Is there a common fix?
Maybe it just needs a new switch as the bike is 10 years old and things wear out after time?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Cleaning it seemed to do the trick. It's in an odd position as it is capable of catching any and all crud that may fall from the sky.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaning it seemed to do the trick. It's in an odd position as it is capable of catching any and all crud that may fall from the sky.
Thanks I'll give that a shot before ordering a new one.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I spent 30 min trying to figure out why my bike wouldn't start only to discover I'd accidentally hit the kill switch, I'd be able to buy myself a nice lunch :crying:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yep, me too. But in this case we both used the kill switch on purpose.

Never gave it a thought. Ready to head for the track, 3rd call, kill switch in "on" position. Nuttin' and nuttin, and nuttin,....I did shoot some WD40 into the switch housing and it started. To late...My life story!

And later in the season, about 1/2 way through a race, bike died going into turn one at speed....sucked some seat foam up my sphincter...headed off track safely, hid behind tire wall and came in on the "crash truck". As an aside, you can never come in on a "crash truck" and look cool!

Dreaded fuel pump line coming off malady....a bike that had the recall and was fixed....Nope, when I pulled the stuff, it was all factory not the recall kit.

God love a Duc!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I suppose if you drop the bike while it's running and can't reach the key switch then the kill switch would be handy to have, but I really see no other reason for it to be there other than to cause the issues you guys are experiencing when it shorts out. Just another Government mandated "safety" item I have always assumed. I have never once used the kill switch on my S1K. Or on my Norton Commando. You have to turn the key anyway so why bother with the switch?

6,048 Posts
I often use the kickstand to stop the bike and then turn the key to turn it off. Keep the bike in gear and from rolling.

I guess there are alot of ways to turn the Bike off with the Sport classic
:nerd:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I often use the kickstand to stop the bike and then turn the key to turn it off. Keep the bike in gear and from rolling.

I guess there are alot of ways to turn the Bike off with the Sport classic
:nerd:
That's what I did on my last bike but this bike seems to have it disabled lol

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I don't think you are odd. The kill switch is there for a reason. It offers a non-fumble way to shut the engine off. On pre-throttle by wire bikes, a broken spring or jammed cable can have you accelerating or bouncing off the rev limiter, neither a time to be trying to find and turn a key without employing the column lock. I like to know it's working. In addition, with a performance exhaust, it's convenient to coast to a stop with the headlight on without waking the entire neighborhood up, especially in an apartment complex. On the other side, if you are a V-blogger, all your idiot friends will endlessly think it is funny to shut your engine off at an intersection, just as the light changes. It's the modern day pie in the face.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This tells me there may be more going on with your electrical

Check the switch
also check the clutch switch as well.
and
Check to make sure all kick stand mounting bolts are tight
They tend to come loose.
Good call, first thing I did when I got the bike home was check all the bolts so those are all tight at least. I'll check the others when I get back to town

·
Registered
399 Posts
I do not know what they call it but it is a cable that is attached to the rider and to the bikes ignitions. if there is a crash the cord pulls out and the bike quits.
I wonder if this is this something that can be put on a street bike?
It's called a dead man switch or tethered kill switch. ATV riders use them all the time.

Emgo Tether Kill Switch

·
Registered
56 Posts
"I often use the kickstand to stop the bike and then turn the key to turn it off. Keep the bike in gear and from rolling."
And if on a slope of any kind roll the bike a few inches until the trans catches and locks the bike in place. Standard practice. I always considered the kill switch just that. An emergency switch to kill it when necessary i.e. an accident. Even on older bikes without all the electronics I always used the key and not the kill switch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts