Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The club of ST riders who've been stranded due to a fuel issue, that is.

Luckily, AMA roadside assistance came to the rescue and I was able to get the bike towed home in short order (properly, on a flatbed, too).

Background leading up to the incident:

- Just tore it down last week to do a valve adjustment.
- Also replaced the fuel filter. Fuel lines looked okay. Tried to make sure all of the clamps were down tight.
- Got everything back together yesterday and went for a 25 mile check ride. No hint of any problems - just noticed some oil weeping from around the drain plug, but very little. Was going to see about maybe just putting some RTV around the seam and see if that stops it. Not really concerned there.

Here's the rundown on what happened:

- Left for a nice evening ride.
- All of a sudden, loss of _all_ power. Throttle does nothing. Engine not firing.
- Made it into a parking lot along the side of the road.
- Engine still turns over, but doesn't fire. Fuel pump whirrs, but doesn't sound like it's really pressurizing. (It doesn't sound like it usually does.)

I'm guessing that a line came off (or maybe split) in the tank. I'll know more once I have time to tear into it again (hopefully tomorrow night, but I've got other plans as well).

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I was lucky in the fact that I was concerned and replaced my fuel line and filter shortly after I got the bike. Having heard of the problems others have suffered I was determined not to suffer the same fate. Get some proper fuel line, clamps and don't forget to clean the small screen on the fuel pump. ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Might sound stupid, but check your kill switch. I did a right novices trick the other day. Riding into the garage and the bike suddenly dies and wouldn't start.

My hand seemed to be on the throttle at all times and no where near the kill switch, it just seemed like the bike had stalled. A few days later I was reading about someone who had done the same thing and flipped the switch accidentally.

I slunk into the garage to find I had done the same thing. How on earth I managed it is a mystery. When you have been messing around with valves and hoses they are always the suspects.

You never know, you might just be lucky.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Might sound stupid, but check your kill switch. I did a right novices trick the other day. Riding into the garage and the bike suddenly dies and wouldn't start.

My hand seemed to be on the throttle at all times and no where near the kill switch, it just seemed like the bike had stalled. A few days later I was reading about someone who had done the same thing and flipped the switch accidentally.
On my 99 when i had the 1 inch blocks under the stock bars if you turned all the way to the left say while moving it around in the yard it would shut off as the kill switch hit the fairing.. :mad: Fixed that. tossed that crap asside and put on the LSL kit. :)

But I'm voting for poped hose...

·
7,733 Posts
Just pop open the filler cap and take a look/listen when you turn the bike on. If a line is spat or split, you will see/hear the gas being squirted about as the pump energises/primes. :) Oh, and there are some aspects of ST ownership that might be considered "rights of passage." Sounds like you've already tackled the tupperware, adjusted the valves. The spat/split fuel line is definitely another, as are leaking rad hoses. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I was lucky in the fact that I was concerned and replaced my fuel line and filter shortly after I got the bike. Having heard of the problems others have suffered I was determined not to suffer the same fate. Get some proper fuel line, clamps and don't forget to clean the small screen on the fuel pump. ;)
I had read about this, and that's one of the reasons why I put in a new fuel filter and inspected the lines. Guess I should've just ordered new lines altogether; then agian, maybe I just didn't fasten them tight enough, in which case the lines themselves aren't the issue, just me. :eek:

Just pop open the filler cap and take a look/listen when you turn the bike on. If a line is spat or split, you will see/hear the gas being squirted about as the pump energises/primes.
Yeah, I saw some fuel moving about when I opened the cap and turned the switch, hence why I strongly suspect a ruptured or loose fuel line in the tank.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I had read about this, and that's one of the reasons why I put in a new fuel filter and inspected the lines. Guess I should've just ordered new lines altogether; then agian, maybe I just didn't fasten them tight enough, in which case the lines themselves aren't the issue, just me. :eek:
That was my problem. Tighten them more than you might think it enough. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, fuel line on the pump came loose. The end that sprung loose looks kinda boogered up now, so I'm going to go ahead and order some of the Gates submersible-rated line to replace it.

This is why you always have to own multiple bikes. That way, when something happens to one of them, you can still ride. :D

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
This is why you always have to own multiple bikes. That way, when something happens to one of them, you can still ride. :D
+1 This is the sly rationale I used to talk my wife into letting me buy a second Duc. Falls into the 'truthiness' range of validity. ;)

Ron

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
+1 I'm using that very logic myself. I'm getting closer, but still not quite there yet.

Have a good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts