Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil at 3700 miles for the first time since I purchased it used.

Oil change went pretty straight forward, no big issues except whomever changed the oil last time cranked on the plugs pretty hard. Had to take a hammer to the allen wrench.

I didn't have a filter wrench so I had to use the universal filter wrench (screwdriver). I have to put a smaller filter wrench on my list of things to buy.

Used Motul 5100 since I couldn't find the 3000v anywhere.

Not much on the magnet.

Now, upon inspection of the brass filter, I found 3 pieces of shiny metal. 1 pretty substantial the other 2 very small pieces. 1-2MM. The larger piece was 2-3MM and was rectangular in shape and chrome like. I suspect this is the result of the dreaded flaking rocker.

My question is, can I continue to ride it until the 6k service interval or should I take it in and get the 6k service done early?

If they service the rockers, am I at risk to get the dreaded flaking rockers again?

I am way out of warranty. What will they cover, if anything on the rocker issue? My shop will be Ferracci, if that helps anyone. I understand it depends on the dealer but what is the most common experience with replacement of the rockers.

Thanks!
 

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
El_Gladiator said:
998 and all testastretta are not known to be hit by flacking rockers.
Have they been already checked?
I agree. Also, the pieces sound too large for rocker flakes. Sounds more like gear or bearing race issues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
El_Gladiator said:
998 and all testastretta are not known to be hit by flacking rockers.
Have they been already checked?
+2
Do the Testastretta engines have the bad (wrong)flywheel nut like the D.q engines had?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,735 Posts
Flywheel nut, no.

Flaking rockers not likely.

Any sign of metal would prompt me to look further at the drivetrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
My ST4s had the same kind of metal fragments on the screen as you have described. I did my service over the winter and all my rockers were in good shape. All this talk about rockers has everyone running scared. Filings on the screen of a relatively fresh engine is not unusual.

Jerry
 

·
Senior Moment
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
If the flywheel nut has loosened up, you could see it by looking in the inspection port on the left side - but not a problem with the 998's. There have been a couple of cases of testastretta rockers flaking - but not many.

For the first few oil changes, you'll find all kinds of crap floating about in the motor and lodging in the screen or depositing themselves on the drain plug. "manufacturing swarf" is the technical term for this detritus. metal bits leftover from machining and not cleaned out, excess gasket sealant that breaks off, thin metal sections from the castings that break off.....lots of stuff.

I'd change the oil and not worry about it, then take it in for the service. just keep an eye out at oil changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, i'm pleasantly surprised by the responses on the post. Since it is a low mileage bike, I don't know how may oil changes were done before mine. Maybe could be the 1st or 2nd after the 600 mile change.

I did find perma-gasket material in the screen as well.

Thanks all.
 

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
Joined
·
2,008 Posts
Buckelew said:
If the flywheel nut has loosened up, you could see it by looking in the inspection port on the left side - but not a problem with the 998's. There have been a couple of cases of testastretta rockers flaking - but not many.

For the first few oil changes, you'll find all kinds of crap floating about in the motor and lodging in the screen or depositing themselves on the drain plug. "manufacturing swarf" is the technical term for this detritus. metal bits leftover from machining and not cleaned out, excess gasket sealant that breaks off, thin metal sections from the castings that break off.....lots of stuff.

I'd change the oil and not worry about it, then take it in for the service. just keep an eye out at oil changes.
Ride it!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,215 Posts
level7 said:
Wow, i'm pleasantly surprised by the responses on the post. Since it is a low mileage bike, I don't know how may oil changes were done before mine. Maybe could be the 1st or 2nd after the 600 mile change.

I did find perma-gasket material in the screen as well.

Thanks all.

Don´t worry about it. Since it has such a low mileage, I´d agree with Buckelew. Just ride it. The engine isn´t broken in yet and your still going to get metal shavings from the breaking in and left over material from the forge.

//amullo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
The Ducati engines I have seen the inside of has lots of burrs where the mould for the engine cases parts. It might be such burrs that have come loos and ended up in your filter.

Check with a small magnet if they are magnetic or not. If they aren't they are probably aluminium burrs and there's no need to worry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
amullo said:
Don´t worry about it. Since it has such a low mileage, I´d agree with Buckelew. Just ride it. The engine isn´t broken in yet and your still going to get metal shavings from the breaking in and left over material from the forge.

//amullo

+1

Also, when you miss a gear, there is often a tiny bit of metal that gets shaved off. Always check the shape - it they look like a bit of small cresent shape (like the fingernail of your pinky finger), it is normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Must be what my 6K mile engine is divesting itself of, too. I do miss a shift every once in a while. That must be it. Ride I will!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
good advice!

Buckelew said:
If the flywheel nut has loosened up, you could see it by looking in the inspection port on the left side - but not a problem with the 998's. There have been a couple of cases of testastretta rockers flaking - but not many.

For the first few oil changes, you'll find all kinds of crap floating about in the motor and lodging in the screen or depositing themselves on the drain plug. "manufacturing swarf" is the technical term for this detritus. metal bits leftover from machining and not cleaned out, excess gasket sealant that breaks off, thin metal sections from the castings that break off.....lots of stuff.

I'd change the oil and not worry about it, then take it in for the service. just keep an eye out at oil changes.
+2 on this [or is that +3 or +4!]

I once had an oil change that almost looked like glitter came out- dozens & dozens of minute- grain of salt sized shiny flakes- the Ducati technician said not to worry just ensure oil & filter changes are regular. However this was a 2v wet-clutch engine, maybe not a good comparison with a 998.

Regular oil/filter changes are the simplest & single best bit of engine maintenence you can do. Also if the oil comes out REALLY dark & filthy suspect too many combustion products getting passed the rings.

But yours sounds OK so just RIDE it & enjoy! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Metal in the oil

My 1990 750 race bike has metal in the oil every time. A jet mechanic told me that if the metal pieces aren't big enough to have a part # on them, don't worry.
 

·
Senior Moment
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
Maine748 said:
My 1990 750 race bike has metal in the oil every time. A jet mechanic told me that if the metal pieces aren't big enough to have a part # on them, don't worry.
jets don't have oil galley plugs that back out of their crankshafts. during this down time, between race seasons, I'd suggest pulling the vertical cylinder and rotating the crank so that the journal is up high. Then look off to the left side of the crank journal and see if there's an aluminum plug backing out and machining itself against the outer race of the crank bearing.

When it finally wears long enough, the oil galley plug drops out and you lose all oil pressure to the top end. easy enough to check with an aircooled duc.

metal in the oil is not a normal condition - at least not in my vehicles.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top