Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally crashed a street bike. The weather got really nice yesterday afternoon and I took the Hyper for a little ride. I was coming around a nice medium right turn about 40-50mph and the next thing I knew I was on the street with bike skidding across the pavemment. The bike slid about 150 feet before going over into a ditch. I got up and went over to the bike which was still running and the back tire rotating and turned it off then went over to where the front end slid out and found the entire road covered in a mixture of ground up pavement and 1/4 pebbles. By this time a guy stopped to help me get the bike out of the ditch. My shoulder had really started hurting by this point and I could feel some bone movement and it took us some time to get it out of the ditch. We got it out and I started it back up after making sure nothing was in too bad of shape and I gritted my teeth and rode it home about 10 miles.

The only damage the bike took was my brand new Zeta hand guards (a week old) from Forrest at Wheeling cycle Supply and the RH foot peg. Both are trashed. The guards are highly recomended. Without them the brake lever would have been torn up. I was wearing a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and some Tourmaster pants that are now trashed but certainly did their job and my Arai helmet and shield and ground up pretty good.

After I got home and the wife took me to the ER for x-rays to confirm the my right clavicle was broken. Other than that, just sore as hell today. I went back to where it happened so I could see it with a clear head this morning and I don't think I could have done anything different. I couldn't have seen the loose stuff on the road because it was the same color as the pavement from a distance and afer I was in the turn I was looking ahead. Just bad luck...

Just a little info for everyone to learn from. I always wear ATGATT and now I got to test it. Maybe Santa will bring me a new jacket, pants and helmet for x-mas. :):)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
bummer ... as neil posted above, glad you and the hypertard got away with minor damage.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Good post!

Sorry you went down. Glad you're ok. This is a great reminder that anything can happen on the street regardless of experience, talent, awareness, etc... Wear your safety gear folks.

Heal up quick.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Sounds like this incident just belongs in the "Shiiit Happens" category. Sorry to hear about the collar bone. At least you have all winter to heal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well at least you got that part of your riding career hopefully over with.

Glad you're okay(mostly) and healing up!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Good to hear you are no worse for wear (or close). The first three weeks are the hardest with the broken clavicle. Did they give you a shoulder/back harness? Nice to hear you nutted up and rode that pony home. I broke mine playing football and played a few more plays afterwards.....finally after damn near fainting from the pain, I decided I had enough (not quite 10 miles back to the sideline).

Out!

·
Registered
532 Posts
glad to hear that your are ok. Another reminder that we need to wear the afty gear at all times. Imagine what you would be like if you had just your jeans and tee shirt on

·
Registered
532 Posts
glad to hear that your are ok. Another reminder that we need to wear the safety gear at all times. Imagine what you would be like if you had just your jeans and tee shirt on

·
7,733 Posts
So, you finally decided to join the broken clavicle club. :( Years ago, I was told during my safety training course that if you choose to ride, you will eventually crash. Shit happens, yes, but riding a bike is like being on a diet of laxatives in terms of likelihoods. :) Good gear helps a lot.

Heal quickly. Ride soon. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Been there, done that, learned a lot about this from my last doc who fixed me up right. This is 2009, find a competent doc and get that plated. You will heal straight and be 100% well before next season. If it does not heal (non-union) you will need surgery anyway and require a big bone graft and longer healing time like I did. The sling/strap is '70s bullshit and does nothing. In motorsports, clavicle fractures are "high energy", where the bone shatters and displaces more, unlike football and field sports. The surrounding soft tissue that provides blood supply as also usually damaged and slows healing. Recent medical studies have shown a much higher satisfaction rate with clavicle plate surgery.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash as it is never any fun. Hope you heal quickly and are ready to ride soon.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sorry to hear of the accident. Time will heal broken bones and pain will go away.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow, 20 years without a spill on the street is quite an accomplishment.
I have spilled my guts on the streets more times than I care to remember (!)

Glad the damage to both you and the bike was limited!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, 20 years without a spill on the street is quite an accomplishment.
I have spilled my guts on the streets more times than I care to remember (!)

Glad the damage to both you and the bike was limited!
Thanks everyone! I was really just wanting to remind everyone how easy it is to be laying on the ground watching you bike slide down the road. Wear the gear! i'm sure if I wasn't I'd still be laying in a hospital room today.

Now another question. Are the frame and axle sliders just bling? I was looking at the bike and the relationship of the handlebars, pegs, tires etc and it seems really hard to actually slide the frame unless you hit it so fast that you grind down the pegs and bars. Just curious. The only thing that touched the ground on my bike was the RH bar and peg and granted is relatively low speed but the damage was minimal. Which is a good thing:)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had a similar accident in the Tx hill country about a year back... not my 1st spill on a bike but probably the one that annoys me most because there is nothing you could have done to stop it from happening other than not ride there... Glad to hear that you were not hurt worse and that the bike faired well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had my forst spill at age 12 and walked away from it with no injuries. Had my next one 38 years later in 2007. Since then 2 more. Broke my knee on the last one (a month ago).

I'm done riding. Can't put wife and kids through the turmoil.

·
7,733 Posts
I had my forst spill at age 12 and walked away from it with no injuries. Had my next one 38 years later in 2007. Since then 2 more. Broke my knee on the last one (a month ago).

I'm done riding. Can't put wife and kids through the turmoil.
What about changing riding styles? The one you're using isn't working for you any more. How about a nice cruiser, or a ST? Shame to leave the sport, but I totally understand. I've often said to myself, "One more get off, and I'm done." But I know I would miss it terribly everytime one went by. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts