Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just purchased a 2000 m900 and found the front mount to be cracked after the fact:frown2: Anyway, I have sinced had it fixed by a professional welder who removed the broken piece and rebuilt the entire piece again. I also installed Nichels titanium bolts instead of the factory ones.

My question is , have any of you been riding with a mount repair, if so how long has it lasted so far?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
About 10 years on a 900 motor in my track bike including two highsides and it is still fine.

Be sure to keep the motor mounts tight. many of the broken cases I see are due to loose motor mounts that alow the motor to float in the chassis. The motor is supposed to be pinched by the frame not just hanging by the bolt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the bike from a guy who bought it from his uncle who was the original owner. It has less than 7k on it but, I dont think they really did much maintenance apart from changing the oil. The bolts were intact but probably never saw a torque wrench. Front bolt was bent when I dropped the motor out. I wouldnt had bought the bike had I known obviously but now that it is fixed I guess im looking for some reassurance that it will hold up. I also bought the Nichols bolts for extra assurance. they are night and day compared to the originals and the extra torque they can handle should help pinch the motor in place.

pics of before and after, the welder totally cut off the damage and rebuilt it back up.

Thanks for your response!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Same thing happened to a riding buddy of mine. The welder told him his weld work would be stronger than the original setup.
As ducvet said, check the torque. I check mine every oil change, just part of the routine now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same thing happened to a riding buddy of mine. The welder told him his weld work would be stronger than the original setup.
As ducvet said, check the torque. I check mine every oil change, just part of the routine now.

Is your friend still riding the bike? Did he ever have an issue after the repair?

thanks!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
ride it. torque the bolts as Nichols recommends. ride it. it's not going to suddenly explode.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it was welded by a professional who knows what he's doing, it should be fine. I've seen a few race bikes with welded cases run plenty of race miles with no issues.

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
One way to find out!!!

Prep work is the most time consuming part of the work
Ever think about getting some non destructive testing done on it?
That may show obvious faults if there are any.

Even the best welders have repairs,

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The rear mounting bolt broke on my ST4 a few years ago. It broke on the right side, cracked right through the thread. The broken bolt caused a crack in the left side where the mounting hole exits. It wasnt as bad as yours, it was just a hairline crack. I had it welded up and have put on about 10,000 miles. No problems.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear mounting bolt broke on my ST4 a few years ago. It broke on the right side, cracked right through the thread. The broken bolt caused a crack in the left side where the mounting hole exits. It wasnt as bad as yours, it was just a hairline crack. I had it welded up and have put on about 10,000 miles. No problems.

Mike
Thanks for the responses! makes me feel a little more at ease.

Mike, yeah I had the three cracks going on they looked like hairlines till I dropped the motor out. The welder ended up cutting the pieces right off and rebuilding it all back up again with filler rod then redrilled the hole out.

It won't be raced or the shit beat out of it so Im thinking it should hold up after hearing from you all.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Thanks for the responses! makes me feel a little more at ease.

Mike, yeah I had the three cracks going on they looked like hairlines till I dropped the motor out. The welder ended up cutting the pieces right off and rebuilding it all back up again with filler rod then redrilled the hole out.

It won't be raced or the shit beat out of it so Im thinking it should hold up after hearing from you all.
Its good you replaced the bolts. Like I said, I think the problem started with the broken rear mounting bolt which allowed the motor to rock fore and aft when the bike accelerated and deccelerated, causing the high stresses on the case which eventually cracked it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Is your friend still riding the bike? Did he ever have an issue after the repair?

thanks!
Yes, still riding it. Not the first sign of a problem. But he does check the torque regularly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts