5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a barn find.
2010 1198S Corse
978 miles on the dial.
Termi exhaust and remapped ECU.
Dynoed at 187

The price was so low I couldn't say no,
In fact, you could day I stole it with cash.
I brought her home Saturday.
I dubbed her Bella.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dynoed at 187hp with less than a thousand miles on the clock....break-in periods are clearly a thing of the past!

What a beast.... I'm guessing it's been off the road for some time?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Congratulations!! One of my favorite bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I had a barn find.
2010 1198S Corse
978 miles on the dial.
Termi exhaust and remapped ECU.
Dynoed at 187

The price was so low I couldn't say no,
In fact, you could day I stole it with cash.
I brought her home Saturday.
I dubbed her Bella. View attachment 978163
Beautiful... I've always been a fan of the "Evo Corse" livery.

·
Administrator
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would avoid trailering it on the rear stand - they have a tendency to walk off the stand unless you bolt it through the stand and axle. It can do a lot of damage when it comes off and bounces around...
Yep, figured that out shortly after this pic and yanked it.

Thanks, replaced the battery, ordered belts, dumping fuel and replacing all fluids today.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Put new plugs and fuel filter in it too, they're a bit finicky with old fuel making the plugs oily and horrible...

187hp? really? at the wheel?
The R makes 180 at the crank, or 186 with the 70mm Termi and ECU upgrade, must be a hell of a tune to get what, another 27ish hp??

·
Administrator
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put new plugs and fuel filter in it too, they're a bit finicky with old fuel making the plugs oily and horrible...

187hp? really? at the wheel?
The R makes 180 at the crank, or 186 with the 70mm Termi and ECU upgrade, must be a hell of a tune to get what, another 27ish hp??
As I am taking things apart, he had a hell of a lot of work done.
It has the carbon fiber fender eliminator kit, he had aftermarket intake on it, and I am tearing it down further.
I asked him whet else was done, and he had a new cam installed.
So it more than just a tune.
The question I have to ask is, why would someone dump so much money on this bike and only put 978 miles on it and let it sit for 9 years?

It will take me some time to take it all apart, and get it back to running.
I couldn't get the gas cap open, and when I did it was completely corroded.
Pics below.

When ethanol evaporates it draws moisture. The gas smells like turpentine.
I ordered an aftermarket gas cap, to get rid of the old one.
But for now, I cleaned up the old one.

He also, dropped it on the left hand side in the parking lot.
I took the fairing off, and will fix the plastic and repaint it.

But again, for the price it is still worth the work it will take to get it back to riding condition.
I haven't got to the belts yet, as I needed to get the gas tank off, and couldn't dump the fuel until I got cap open. Now I know I am in for some serious cleaning.
I am also afraid I will have to break out the bore scope to look inside the tank once emptied to look for corrosion on the aluminum.
I got the plugs, air filter (K&N racing filter), oil filter on stand-by. Belts arrived.
Hoping this weekend will be warm so I can wrench on it.
For decades I have ridden with a GP shifter on my SS, so I got one for this bike too, as it is habit now.

I guess I will have to also pull the injectors and clean them too.
But at least as I pull parts I am at least surprised they are modded or after market.
It wasn't chump change for the parts and labor.....

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
The question I have to ask is, why would someone dump so much money on this bike and only put 978 miles on it and let it sit for 9 years?
Sadly, this happens far more often than one would think... I suspect for a myriad of reasons.

We have a customer who purchased this Mono:

He attended two "training" sessions at nearby Anglesey, had the post "break in" service performed, as well as having us install data loggers and several GoPro mounts. That was almost 2 years ago now, and yet still she sits, unused, in our shop.

It makes me overwhelmingly sad as if I could just get this thing to this side of the pond, I could drive the fucking wheels off of it on all of my favorite bike roads around here. :(

·
Administrator
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadly, this happens far more often than one would think... I suspect for a myriad of reasons.

It makes me overwhelmingly sad as if I could just get this thing to this side of the pond, I could drive the fucking wheels off of it on all of my favorite bike roads around here. :(
Jesus, what a freaking waste.
More money than sense!
Prophet sounds like you have a cool job though!

But then again, I would have not gotten a steal on this bike, had it not been neglected.
I call it a project of love, and will have a killer bike when I am done.
But damn, what a shame!

·
Registered
662 Posts
It has the carbon fiber fender eliminator kit, he had aftermarket intake on it, and I am tearing it down further.

Pics below. View attachment 978500

View attachment 978501

But again, for the price it is still worth the work it will take to get it back to riding condition.
I haven't got to the belts yet, as I needed to get the gas tank off, and couldn't dump the fuel until I got cap open. Now I know I am in for some serious cleaning.
I am also afraid I will have to break out the bore scope to look inside the tank once emptied to look for corrosion on the aluminum.
I got the plugs, air filter (K&N racing filter), oil filter on stand-by. Belts arrived.
For decades I have ridden with a GP shifter on my SS, so I got one for this bike too, as it is habit now.

But at least as I pull parts I am at least surprised they are modded or after market.

Pics below. View attachment 978500

View attachment 978501

That bike has been seriously neglected!
should come up nice though

You won't need a boroscope to look in the tank, take it off the bike and remove the fuel pump assembly form underneath, if the cap is that bad my guess is you will be replacing the lot inside, not just a filter.....

I'm curious to see what intake he's put on it, a new cam? surely he means 4 of them?? sounds like bull to me, did you get a dyno sheet with it? receipts?
not that it matters an 1198S is a NICE bike, and i'm sure it can be rescued, might want to oil up the bores and turn it by hand a few times before trying to start it. a good service and a new battery and you should be good but i'm betting you will be needing in tank hoses and a pump as well...

When you take all the fairings off the nose has some hidden fasteners so look carefully before you yank at it too much, there are heaps of them! and all go into those bastard well nuts, go to e-bay and buy a heap, you will need them!

post up pics of the expensive aftermarket bits, you have piqued my curiosity.....

·
Administrator
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That bike has been seriously neglected!
should come up nice though

I'm curious to see what intake he's put on it, a new cam? surely he means 4 of them?? sounds like bull to me, did you get a dyno sheet with it? receipts?

When you take all the fairings off the nose has some hidden fasteners so look carefully before you yank at it too much, there are heaps of them! and all go into those bastard well nuts, go to e-bay and buy a heap, you will need them!

post up pics of the expensive aftermarket bits, you have piqued my curiosity.....
OK
I am just about finished removing the rear, finding a few broken tabs on that :(

The only thing I see about the intake is he had a K&N race filter that was so old the red oil was glue.
Trashed.
I do know it had new cams put in as that info came from the dealer he bought it from, and I called him. He also dynoed it at the shop. He didn't have the print outs from that far back as they upgraded there systems since then and purged it.
Known him about 13 years so I know that info was accurate.

The guy poured money in and can't remember what 9 years later. But then we all get CRS as time goes by.
I am hoping I don't have to take off the nose to do what I need to.
I suspect you are right about the pump and hoses.
Refurbing this poor thing won't be cheap but still a steal.

·
Administrator
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone have experience with the aftermarket fuel pumps? Or stick with the stock one.
Just noticed a few on fleaBay.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,886 Posts
Anyone have experience with the aftermarket fuel pumps? Or stick with the stock one.
Just noticed a few on fleaBay.
I’ve used the ones sold by CA Cycleworks with no problems.

Edit: but just looked and not sure they have one for your bike. I thought it might be same as 999.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you're going aftermarket definitely try Chris at cycle works, that AllBalls kit looks pretty cheap, be careful with the plastic clips etc and me, regardless of what's in an aftermarket kit i would ALWAYS use a genuine o-ring, the rear header is just below that...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Chris it is!

Okay anyone try the integrated LED tailights like this one?

I have the TST installed on my 1198SP - it's a nice piece of kit and it works great.

I also replaced my fuel pump with a $58 pump from e-bay after receiving a $700+ quote from the local dealer for a new assembly :)
The one I went with is a Quantum like this one (looks like the price went up tho). Probably put 6,000 miles on the bikes since I installed it.

There also happens to be complete used assembly on e-bay that might be worth a look

1 - 20 of 67 Posts