Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened a few times now..

I'm riding along in 5th and go to shift to 6th, but maybe I don't kick the lever hard enough. I let go of the clutch, roll on the throttle, and it revs really high, flashing the shift lights! :mad:

Has this every happened to you guys? It's like a weird "middle gear" I get stuck in sometimes. If it happens again I'll ask the shop about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its happened to me many times when i first got the Bike, i believe its due to not kicking the gear all the way in. Anyone else share the same experience?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
A miss shift between 5th and 6th can happen for several reasons. As already mentioned you need to shift positively but you shouldn't kick the shift lever. On newer bikes the transmission is tight. If you try and shift from 5th to 6th while going to slow and have the engine lugging you can miss shift because the engine speed and rear wheel speed aren't fast enough. How fast where you going when you tried to shift from 5th to 6th and at what RMP? My suggestion is don't try to shift from 5th to 6th any lower than 4500RPM.

·
Registered
141 Posts
HAppened twice today... Did a 5 hour ride to Palm Springs (100 degrees Ouch) and as Secret Squirrel is saying, I think I was just being lazy and not shifting with authority.

Also had a weird stall when pulling over to have some water. Bike died when shifting down to 4th...it's never done that before so thinking some vapor lock issue.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
You need to adjust your shift linkage.

This is true. Totally took care of the occassional missed shift for me. The shift lever needed to positioned so it was lower. Fixed back in 2010.:D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
you can also try to search the forum...weve been there, answered that...you will find the answer!!

just to calm you down...its your leg and shifter placement that have the prob...not the bike! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I've just never experienced a mis-shift on a bike before. It doesn't make sense to me with this kind of gearbox. I'll just have to be more assertive with my shifting :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts