Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the full story. I have a 2003 Ducati 620 Sport with around 3k miles. Two weeks ago I started an oil change. The oil filter was jammed on there so it took me two weeks to make a part and get it up inside the broken off filter to release it. After that I finished the oil change early in the morning so I could drive it to work. It started fine and rode fine on my twelve mile commute. I worked a ten hour day and then went to go start it.

Nothing. The headlight is bright as ever, the lights in the cluster lit up just fine. The speedomter didn't light up at all and the tach halfway lit up. While the gauges were doing their rotating thing, they both stopped at about 10 o' clock (around 3-4k RPM). When I hit the start, nothing. Turning the key off and then back on turns the lights back on, I can hear the pump, but the gauges don't rotate, the speedometer doesn't light at all and the tach half lights. This all left me stranded at work and eventually getting a late-night ride home.

This morning I came in and with the light, checked the ground wire and any other wires I could see. I checked the connection that is underneath the right panel near the blinker and it seemed like a few of the connections were a little askew, but nothing that would have changed during work yesterday.

I then entered the security code with the throttle and it fired right up! The problem was that the speedometer and tachometer have not moved at all from 40MPH and 3-4RPM, even after it's started. Also, when I turn it off it wont turn on again unless I go through the same procedure of entering the security code and starting it straight away.

It seemed to warm up fine (the temp gauge still works), but other than that I haven't checked driving it yet (not sure if I should do that?)

Anyone know what this could possibly be or how I could possibly fix it? At the very least, any information I could take to the mechanics with me would be great. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
415 Posts
How many keys do you have on your key ring that have transponders?
That can cause the imoblizer to kick in as it doesnt get the correct code from the ring around the ign lock.
When you enter the code by hand it bypasses the transponder for just that start up.

So remove your key from your key ring and try it again.
Making sure your chip didnt fall out of your key as well.

You can also try firing up the bike with just the red key.

Let us know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the keys separately and also tried the red key. The weirdest part is that when I bypass it with the code, the gauges still stay locked at the weird position.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I just started it again by bypassing it after fiddling around with the wires (disconnecting then reconnecting). All the functions work after it's started except the blinkers. Light doesn't turn on in the gauge cluster and blinkers don't blink. Also, when I turned kill switch off then back on (without turning key to off) I could restart it. I then even turned it all the way off and right back on and restarted it. I then turned it off and left it off for 15 seconds, back to the old EOBD nothingness.

Gauges still do not respond to anything.

·
Registered
415 Posts
check the plug on the back of the dash. Then make sure both plugs on ecu are locked into place. If all that checks out. replace the dash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took everything apart and checked all the plugs... nothing seemed out of place. I went back to where I started just to check again (it was dark last night). Hairline break in the instrument fuse. Enough power to power some of the stuff, but not enough. Replaced and running fine! Phew.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts