Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying, I've read the posts about stuck shifters, and mine isn't there(yet).

I've just noticed that when the bike gets up to temp 200 deg F. I start having an issue downshifting in certain cases. If I use mid to high rpm engine braking it shifts just like it should. If I come to a slow stop and try to downshift it doesn't want to unless I blip the throttle. I went to the local Duc chop, and picked up a barnett red clutch pack because I thought the plates looked pretty worn out(I'm going to measure them on Monday). All seemed fine again till it got up to temp.

I have 4500 miles on an 08 made on 06/07. Is this the manifestation of the dreaded stuck shifter? I called the shop to check on the warranty, and if It's still good will have to take it down there.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
can you please provide more detail on just what the shifting issue you are experiencing is?

e.g.:
  • is the shift when pushing down on the shifter more difficult, requiring more foot pressure?
  • do these downshifts result in false neutrals?
  • does the clutch lever feel softer or harder when making downshifts?

without knowing more info, my initial thoughts would lead to suggesting you try:
  • flushing the brake fluid in your clutch master/slave line.
  • remove the clutch activation rod, inspect it (look for any signs of wear), clean it, and apply grease to the surface between the two o-rings on the slave side, and to the surface between the o-ring on the clutch side and the pressure plate bearing
  • inspect and measure clutch pressure plate springs
  • when re-installing pressure plate, make certain to align properly (marks on pressure plate and one of the clutch spring mounting posts)
  • evenly/sequentially torque the spring cap bolts to proper torque
  • check torque on clutch slave to make certain it is sitting flat on engine case

again, initial thoughts lead to think fluid is either contaminated or has air in lines, as both of these will cause malfunctioning to become more pronounced at higher temps.

best of luck with diagnosing and fixing the issue(s).

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It gives a soft lever feel, almost like the return spring isn't coming back all the way. Even when you get into first, the lever doesn't feel like it's hitting the stop. It feels like it still wants to downshift. It only seems to affect 1st and second gear. When heated up, shifting between 1st and 2nd just sitting still is fine. If you go up to 4th, it doesn't want to go back down to first. I replaced and bled the clutch fluid about 3 weeks ago and haven't had trouble till now. it downshifts into 5, 4, 3, just fine at a stop.

When I replaced the clutch fluid, I did the brakes, too and they work great. I also made sure the pressure plate was lined up, too.

When putting the clutch back together, I left the cover off to check operation, and the pack breaks open good, and with good distance. At least that's how I perceive it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AMSoil 10-40

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Changed clutch fluid with motorex dot 5.1 and problem is still there. No air bubbles came out. Clutch actuates just fine like it always has, I watched it. Was going to change oil 500 miles from now, but will do that Monday(current oil has been in for 2000 miles, but was waiting to hit 5000). If problem still exists, it's going to the dealer for warranty work. I had a friend who motos come look at it, and he gets the same problem. I'll take it to work, and have our machinist who has been builds racing 4 wheelers look at it(third opinion).

John, it doesn't feel like the clutch is the problem, and I can watch the plates release just fine. It seems like an internal issue. I could order the kit that the dealers use to fix the stuck issue and replace myself, but as it's still under warranty, I'll let them do it and keep myself covered.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
when you replaced the clutch pack ... did you pay extra close attention to the plates when installing them?

i ask this, as i just removed and cleaned the glazing off of the clutch pack in the dp slipper i have installed ... and at first, the clutch lever felt soft when pulling in to downshift.

i removed the clutch pack, examined all the friction plates then used an airgun to blow off any dust ... all good. then i examined each of the flat plates, and made sure to install them with the flat side facing the engine (the flat side being determined by examining the side of the teeth to see which side had rounded edges). then i made sure to place the convex plate (the thinnest of the plates, and when you place on a flat surface, it will rock when you press on the top) in as the second plate from the engine (on the dp slipper, this is critical, so the pack opens when the clutch is pulled in).

once i re-assembled, the soft clutch lever feeling went away.

the stock clutch was no where near as finicky as the slipper has been ... but even with the stock clutch, packs that are not perfect can cause all sorts of issues (slipping, chatter, and soft clutch lever feel).

all of the above is mho ... ymmv.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clutch lever feels fine. When I replaced the fluid 3 weeks ago the clutch lever feel got better. When I said that the lever was a bit soft, I meant the shift lever. Only when it doesn't want to downshift. it moves just fine but doesn't engage the gear. Like I said earlier it's almost like the return spring isn't coming all the way up(for lack of a better term). It's also related only to 1st and 2nd gear. I went out after replacing the fluid again and played with it quite a bit. It did it while warming up, and warmed up. I may have not noticed it before warm up before because I usually don't have to stop too much till after it's warm.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
hmmmm .... well, as mentioned in above post ... your mileage may vary ;-)

hope you get it resolved ... not fun having the bike perform less than flawlessly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Changed oil today. Put same kind of oil in. Today isn't near as warm as it was when I had the problems, and the bike temp hovered right around 200. Problem not rearing it's head now. When stopped dead shifting up and down, it's there but not as often as before. I hope it warms up next week so I can see if that has anything to do with it.

Also, the oil that came out was a dark brownish color, and didn't smell burnt at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oil temp got up to 220 today, and it showed itself. Bike will be dealer bound. :(

Also, measured the stock clutch pack all plates averaged around 2.9mm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts