Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So bike racing in Western Australia has turned into a shitstorm of biblical proportions: bikes banned from the main local track due to safety concerns and what was expected to be a short hiatus has turned into 2 years of false dawns, he said/she said infighting, and still no solution in sight. We have another option but it is an underdeveloped 1.6km course with a good looking extension (taking it to 2.5km) nearly complete....but it's 3 1/2 hours away. The distance isn't an issue for me....but it's a big issue for my long suffering wife/sponsor who operates "6.5hp of raging fury" (pit starter) to put fire in the belly of the 999RS engine in my 749R.

Until recently I just ground my teeth and sulked/pottered away in the shed working on my 851 project or took my old '06 R1 (purtiest Japanese bike ever) roadie to the odd track day. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Amongst that pottering I finally tore down the original 749R engine with the torched big end bearings that I'd been stepping over/around and generally glaring at for the past 5 years. I couldn't believe the slop on the front con rod which had deformed the bearing enough such that the vertical rod was also partially bound up and both sets of bearings looked more pitiful than puppies at the pound: yep, that'll explain the bronze flakes in the oil screen and semi-seize.

The crank/rods were too far gone for OEM bearings but Justin at Pro Twin (Perth) had a solution with a national security level black ops combination of crank grinding/polishing and Suzuki bearings.....not cheap but it beat crying myself to sleep after hurling it all in the bin.

Fast forward and I'm sitting in the shed, Hizzy on the White Charger winning IOM playing on the VCR (ask Mum or Dad, kids) in the background, gazing adoringly at my now beautifully restored crank/rods assembly. It seemed such a shame to hide them again but soon enough the engine was getting bigger while the pile of bits surrounding it got smaller.....and then there were none.

All the while my hands were busy my mind, usually a picture of inactivity, was clicking and clunking away processing what to do with the soon to be complete engine. Given that the RS engine, lovely thing that it is, was overkill/wasted around the only course available and a complete ball-ache to start (well, it starts easily, you just need 2 people) and that I'd been out of actual racing for a few years the smart option seemed to be put the R engine back in the bike while I ease back into it and wait for the track malarkey to get sorted out.

Now, when it comes to my history of decision making the smart option is easily recognised post-decision by the fact it is the option I chose NOT to take, but I'm hoping this is the exception that proves the rule because it's now back in the bike.

Now this is where the dash issue comes into play: on start up the oil pressure light on the Digitek Falcon would not go out. I sat there waiting, and waiting, listening and fussing around like a meercat on guard duty for strange noises. Don't panic....don't panic...starting to panic....running all the scenario's through my mind: yes, I'd filled the oil pump/filter, yes I'd checked the oil pump during reassembly, yes the loom was intact etc. Eventually I unplugged the switch only for the light to stay on, then checked the switch and found it operating correctly so my heart rate slowly dropped back into double digits. But WTF was going on?

I wasn't sure if the Nemesis ECU would automatically default to Low Oil Pressure if the engine wasn't running (ignoring the switch) so I started it up again with the laptop plugged in and the Nemesis monitoring screen up. Sure enough the oil pressure signal flicked on and off exactly as it should, but the dash light stayed resolutely on. Everything else on the dash like water temp, tacho, neutral light work fine so CAN-comm's appear fine.

I've pulled the loom apart, checked all the plugs right back to the ECU and reassembled, just in case, I've reloaded the 749R configuration to the ECU, but I'm at a bit of a loss now.....any idea's?
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,151 Posts
Morning Spud. Did you check to see the that you may have plugged into the neutral switch instead of the oil pressure in the harness?
 

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G’day mate! Oooooh definitely something to check.

The neutral switch was redundant on the RS so I’d disconnected and stashed the flying lead to it. I don’t recall mucking around with the oil pressure switch wiring but it does run in amongst the same area of the loom so may have managed to shoot myself in the foot when I refitted the lead and tidied everything up again.

I’m away at work so will be a while before I can check but thanks for the thought.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,151 Posts
At the harness both connect to the same type of plug and they are almost side by side. Easy to mix up.
 

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the harness both connect to the same type of plug and they are almost side by side. Easy to mix up.
Bugger, I was so relieved to have something to look into but I've just realised the connectors can't be arseeboo: the oil pressure indicator flashes correctly on the laptop monitoring screen when I connect/disconnect the switch (while the indicator on the dash just stays on solid). If I had the neutral/oil pressure connections transposed the neutral indicator would be flashing instead.

So the head scratching continues.....
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top