Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I had some intermittent starting issues and after replacing the starter i've got a weird issue:

So after buttoning everything back up and turning the key to the Run position, the initial Ducati ST3 stuff appears in the LCD display and then it goes completely blank. All of the lower bar indicators work(brights, neutral, turn sig ect) and it runs fine...rode it to work today in fact. I tried turning it on and off a few times before getting on the road and nothing. Has anyone else had this issue? I've owned and commuted on this bike for 6 years and this is a first for me.

Ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Probably not much help, but I'll try.

Working around the wiring when replacing the starter and the clocks getting wonky at the same time is probably no coincidence. I'd look first at the main bus connector that is located in the front left fairing. Corrosion is a somewhat common issue especially if you ride in weather.

Check the main connector on the back of the clocks; again for corrosion, cleanliness, and connector tight.

Take a look at the wiring schematic which IDs all the feeds to the clocks. I took a look at the diagram and believe #1 and #20 is fused power that goes into cluster, so fuses should be checked and verified hot. There is also a ground #22 that directly connects to the cluster from the battery. There are 6 ground tieoffs near the battery ground including the one I mentioned that may be worth looking at also. The manual and wire diagram can be found in the forum sticky.

If wiring and connections check out, you could have a bad cluster. I lost a tach on mine and had to get a cluster/ECU off of ebay. However, it's most likely a bad connection after the starter work.

Good luck,
Scott L.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott. I'll check that main bus connector first(I did wash the bike once I had removed the fairing, so water could be the culprit) and then check the others you mentioned.

Chadd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts