Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How low can you go?

I just weighed my bike. 388 lbs with battery and all fluids except fuel.

It's a track bike now, so no lights at all. Other major weight-saving measures would be aftermarket 2-1 exhaust, Brembo 3-spokes and tubeless tires, no airbox (Wasp PUK), and no battery box (Shorei 14 under the seat). However, I do have an Airtech fairing added on, plus a custom aluminum frame to support it.

How low have you other weight weenies managed to get?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I seem to recall Frank from FastFrank Racing saying his PS was down around 350 fully loaded, maybe get in touch with him for advice?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
An all-plastic Monster front fender gives better coverage and gets rid of the stock metal bracket.

An Airtech seat/tail will save about 8 lbs.

Think about ditching the oil cooler if temps allow.

The chain guard and rear fender can go.

Warm up the drill press and swiss cheese parts.

"If you take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves." - Unknown.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
An ETI fuel cell and the Airtech seat would probably be your biggest gains now, maybe carbon wheels too, not sure how light those 3 spokers are

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
You can save at least 10-14 lbs with lighter forged aluminum, magnesium or carbon fiber wheels over the 3 spoke cast aluminum. Weight off the wheels is the most noticeable.

·
301 Posts
Love what you have done there yellowuc.

Definitely lighter wheels, as the positive effects are numerous.

The airtech seat unit is an inexpensive way of dropping pounds and is also easier to move around on

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Huh. I was actually not so much looking for advice as hoping to get some of the rst of you to brag about what you had accomplished. That thread from Barfer is great - I had forgotten about it.

I think the Airtech seat is on my list - 7 lbs from high up on the bike is a lot. I have a hard time imagining when I am going to have $2000 or more for wheels though. Besides, weight isn't everything...I need a slipper clutch next. I also have to get those 4-p calipers installed....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Moving the Shorei back to the original location without adding the batttey box would the place battery nearer the bike's center of gravity rather than high up and rearward under the seat. Can a weight weenie weigh 200 lbs.?

·
Registered
451 Posts
My "FFR PS1000" weights 338 lbs, but is currently under a diet of titanium.
Will soon be under 330 lbs.

What have I done? answer almost everything.
my ultimate goal is 310

Frank

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Did you get rid of the heavy headlight bracket and mount the gauges to the top triple?

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Moving the Shorei back to the original location without adding the batttey box would the place battery nearer the bike's center of gravity rather than high up and rearward under the seat. Can a weight weenie weigh 200 lbs.?
I guess...but you know it weighs like 1 lb, right? I'm exaggerating a little, but it really is ridiculous how light those things are.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yeah, it's unreal how little they weigh.

Like other say, get lighter wheels. Losing 6-8 lbs. off the wheels will feel like 30 lbs. off the bike in terms of handling.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the best pic I have

FF
Oh drool...

I wonder what you save with the Mg side covers?

Who's 4-spring slipper is that? Does Ducabike make that?

Your paint is all kinds of awesome.

Is anyone making those belly pans for sale?

Am I asking too many questions?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts