Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

This may sound like a strange question:

My 2005 ST4s ABS seems like a heavy bike even in sport mode (i.e, no saddle bags or topcase attached), and riding solo.

What is the one or two things you have done to dramatically reduce the overall weight of the bike?

How much weight savings have you gotten by changing out the stock pipes?

I know the bike could be a lot lighter by removing several things such as the brackets for the side bags or the center stand, etc. but I still want to retain the versatility of the sport tourer. Also, I realize the 5.5 gals. of fuel capacity when filled is a big weight factor...but I don't want to do anything that drastic and unusual as changing to a smaller fuel tank (I guess I could just carry a half-tank of fuel around!)

Your replies are appreciated!

Kevin

·
Registered
494 Posts
Kevin,
Stock pipes are heavy compared to the aftermarket or HP cans. Majot difference there.
The ST series is definitely a heavy bike for a Sport bike, but no-so for a touring bike. She's stilll a beast though.

Run 3-times a week and hit the weights on the off days. High reps, not max weight. It'll make you stornger, thus efting that bike around and more fit so you can do it longer...

Seriously, the unsprung weigh reductuion will make the biggest difference. That-is wheels. Your's are compativiely light though....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Give some thought to the position of the handle bars as well. My nephew has an '04 St4s, I've got a '99. There is a big diff in the feel of the weight, not by the numbers , but by the ergonomics. His bike feels like a big heavy plush touring machine, mine feels like a taught thoroughbred. Same frame, same geometry except the riding position is different.

If I remember correctly, his bike weighs about 8 lbs more than mine? (Stock figures) We have both changed pipes, and I have sweet marvics! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Kramer, can't agree more... best weight reduction strategy... stop eating and save money on both fronts.

·
Still needs a life.
12,612 Posts
Kramer said:
Kevin,
Run 3-times a week and hit the weights on the off days. High reps, not max weight. It'll make you stronger, thus hefting that bike around and more fit so you can do it longer...
I have been working out and I really noticed the improvement to my stamina on my four day road trip to Northern Idaho two weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
for sure the cheapest and best weight reduction is ones own body fat reduction. strength training or just getting ones self in shape makes a real difference. like Bill, I just completed a multi day trip. for three days a buddy was riding with me. while strong, he is not very fit. at the end of each day, he could hardly walk. basic lack of fitness and a bit extra around the waist.
I was chatting with several others that like me are building up a vintage cafe racer. talking about alloy engine plates and titanium parts ect. at most we could save 10-15 pounds at a cost that none of us wanted to think about. most of us could or at least should loose more than that if we just tried a bit harder. twice that for myself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
kever888 said:
Hey gang,

My 2005 ST4s ABS seems like a heavy bike even in sport mode (i.e, no saddle bags or topcase attached), and riding solo.

Kevin
You must be riding it too slowly.... :) Maybe you need to paint it red too.

Doc

·
Registered
286 Posts
kever888 said:
...My 2005 ST4s ABS seems like a heavy bike even in sport mode (i.e, no saddle bags or topcase attached), and riding solo.
Kevin
Actually, the ST4s is one of the lightest bikes in it's class at 460 lbs, and it carries it's weight relatively low which makes it seem even lighter. Put it up against an Yamaha FJR1300, Honda ST1300, Aprilia Futura, or BMW R1200RT and you'll see what I mean. Of the Sport Tourers out there, the Duc is the sportiest.

If you're that worried about weight savings, you probably bought the wrong class of bike. Look at a Duc 749, or a metric 600 or liter bike. Not as comfortable, but much lighter...

·
Still needs a life.
12,612 Posts
Badger_WI said:
Actually, the ST4s is one of the lightest bikes in it's class at 460 lbs, and it carries it's weight relatively low which makes it seem even lighter. Put it up against an Yamaha FJR1300, Honda ST1300, Aprilia Futura, or BMW R1200RT and you'll see what I mean. Of the Sport Tourers out there, the Duc is the sportiest.
This is why I keep coming back to the ST series. All of these other bikes seem so heavy and awkward after riding the ST.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I took some weight off my ST4. The stock mufflers were about 25 pounds for the pair (I'm guessing). ARROW carbon fiber cans are 4 pounds each. Forged magnesium wheels front and rear dropped a total of 11 pounds. Brake Tech rotors up front dropped another 3 pounds or so. Aluminum rear sprocket saved maybe a pound. Iron rear rotor saved another pound or so.

Clutch basket, plates, and hub dropped another 5 1/2 pounds. Two pounds was machined off the flywheel.

That's around 44 pounds total of which almost 37 pounds is unsprung weight and around 13 pounds is rotating weight.

All those changes were made for reasons other than just the weight savings. The wheels made the most noticeable difference, as did the clutch parts. Well, the mufflers made a big difference too. Love that sound!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Kramer said:
Kevin,
Stock pipes are heavy compared to the aftermarket or HP cans. Majot difference there.
I know I can make the biggest difference by getting in shape, but just out of curiosity, how much weight can be saved by going from the stock pipes to aftermarket carbon fiber cans? The previous owner of my bike already put Ducati Performance CF cans on, and gave me the stock pipes too (they are fairly heavy). So I'm wondering how much weight did I lose with that mod?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oops...looks like the answer posted just before I asked my question.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ST4R said:
All those changes were made for reasons other than just the weight savings. The wheels made the most noticeable difference, as did the clutch parts. Well, the mufflers made a big difference too. Love that sound!

Hey ST4R, I guess I never really added it all up. I've cut 40 lbs off. Sure does make a big darn diff.

Agreed wheels make the biggest improvement. Like you, I was after a different result, and achived a 430 lbs bike in the process. Pretty close to the 999 at 410 lbs! :abduct:

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
On my ST2:

Clutch 1.5 kg
Flywheel 2.6 kg
Front wheel 2.6 kg
Front mudguard 0.3 kg
Front brakeline 0.1 kg
Clutch line 0.1 kg
Rear wheel 4.3 kg
Rear mudguard 0.4 kg
Swingarm 1.8 kg
Pipes 3.9 kg
Tank cover 0.1kg
Fuel cap 0.3 kg
Clutch cover 0.3 kg
Fairing lowers 3.0 kg

Total 21.3 kg (47 lbs).

I could probably lose more with CF pipes instead of the aluminum ones.

With 22 liters of fuel, and the luggage racks (but no bags) it's 212 kg (measured).

My SS, on the other hand, is measured at 166.5 kg, but with only 6 liters of fuel.

Tom

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
I agree with the comment about losing body weight, but..

Losing unsprung weight is the best way to make a any vehicle lighter and faster. Even my bicycle. Wheels, tires rotors.
No matter what I weigh or how fit I am, I'd rather carry around an empty trash can than a full one anyday.

My $ 0.02

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Mags were the last mod I did to my LeMans, but the first (after pipes) that I did to my ST2 and my SS because of the results with the Guzzi.

Tom

·
Registered
319 Posts
kever888 said:
Hey gang,

This may sound like a strange question:

Kevin
Kevin,

Have you adjusted your ride height?

The handling of the bike with the ride height left alone as delivered from the factory is very different than a bike with properly adjusted ride height. If you have not already done so, I recommend you adjust your ride height first before modifying anything else. THe bike will feel a lot lighter once you do that.

-Fariborz

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep, Ride hieght... But do that when your mounting your new wheels!!

Yehaaaaaawww!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi again gang,

Thanks for the great replies to my question.

With respect to Fairborz's question regarding adjustment of ride height, I have not adjusted ride height.

The ST is a bit taller than other Ducati's, especially the superbikes and sport classics (not the Multistrada of course). I do feel the height is pretty optimal for me. I have a 33" inseam, and I flat foot the ST...also I'm very happy with the handling and cornering with the current setup.

Curious though, is it easy to adjust ride height without tools on an '05 ST4s? It's not just a matter of adjusting the Ohlins preload knob is it?

Also, I realize that compared to other touring bikes, i.e. the BMW R1100RT, the Duc ST is a featherweight.

I just wanted to get some thoughts from the forum members. Thanks again!

Kevin

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I've got mine adjusted so that the rear wheels is on the ground when on the center stand.

This quickens the handling, AND increases ground clearance so that I don't scrape anything.

Tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts