Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have owned a 2008 HM-S for about a month or so and have been getting lots of good info from the forum, but I never found a thread with good weight loss listings... so I will start one.

I have really just started, but already I have gotten 10.5KG off the bike and only spent $160 so far.

To be fair, the biggest chunk comes from the exhaust which I had for free. I think it is ridiculous what most aftermarket pipes go for, so I used one that I had on a 2002 955i, and put the stock pipe back on it. I will post pics later... basically I cut off the stock pipe in front of the flapper and bolted the Wolf canister on there, mounting to the subframe with a U-Bolt. It is like a poor man's 2-1 Termi and looks much better than I expected (especially for the price).

Anyway, here is the list... note I still have the stock Cat, so I figure another 2-3Kg off when I want to cough up the cash to get midpipes.:D

Item Removed Weight (g)
Mufflers 5010
Battery, Yuasa 3906
rt rear CF cover 145
lf rear CF cover w/bracket 222
Passenger pegs 1237
Rear Plastic fender 185
rear fender/plate bracket, 277
turn signal brackets, plastic 200
plate holder w/light 196
flapper section exhaust 689
servo w/ cables 541
exhaust/fender bracket 134
CA evap canister w/hoses 479
rubber peg inserts 176
Misc hardware 186

Items Added
Wolf exh canister w/clamps 2246
Battery, turntech 853
custom turn signal bracket 89

Net loss 10395

... almost 23lbs off for chump change! I could get the CA Cycleworks tank and when topped off with 6gallons of fuel be the same weight as stock :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Nice work. I'd love to see pics. Get em up! Especially of the exhaust.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cool thread... I tried to wiegh my bike last night using the single scale method but the results varied because i need a jig to evenly distribute the wieght on the scale (as if someone is standing on it) since the tire put the load right on the center of the scale and varied quite a bit if I moved the tire and inch.

I did my own tail so I don't have turn signals (they are in the license plate frame) or the rear brake light assembly any more so I think I got about 5 pounds out of that.. I wonder where I could go to get an accurate wieght on the bike... maybe a recycling center. I thought I read somewhere that for every 13lbs of wieght loss it adds one HP effect for bike... don't know how true that is.

Also you need to do the grams conversion to pounds... I know 28 grams in an ounce, but don't want to run all those numbers...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, nice weight savings.

Interested in selling the CF covers?
yeah, that is what I thought... easy losses and it makes the bike look better IMO.

Yeah I will probably be selling the covers... wait for a listing in the classifieds or PM me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I read somewhere that for every 13lbs of wieght loss it adds one HP effect for bike... don't know how true that is.
Uhhhmm, no. That is someone trying to explain why weight loss will be faster in terms of power to weight by converting the weight loss to equivalent power gain for a given power/weight. I won't waste bandwidth to explain the math since anyone interested in it already knows :p, but think of acceleration as a function of supply and demand; where available power is like supply and system weight is the demand. You can increase supply or decrease demand or BOTH:D and accelerate faster(but with weight loss you can turn and stop faster too!). For a given weight, you can do the mental masturbation while you are trying to rationalize the $/benefit of power gains vs weight savings when trying to prioritize mods, but any number you come up with for HP=X lbs will change when you alter either of the two from your initial X... clear as mud? :sleep:

At any rate, dropping all that stock crap is easy and a no brainer if you think it looks cleaner. You should be about 4% lighter/faster assuming you are about 200lbs. And that is a cheap 4%. whoo hoo.:cool:

·
Registered
865 Posts
You american! Italian bikes are metric...just like jap bikes! :eek:
LOL!!
Hey Rosso, it not that I'm American its that I'm lazy. :D

Actually its Wilmars fault he put everything in grams (probably for accuracy)... then at the end say he lost 23 pounds...thats like speaking spanglish.

so now I have to divide 448 into each of his gram wieghts...:think:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok here are some pics... of the initial result:

And here is a before pic for comparison (taken a few days ago at roughly the same angle).

Initially I did it just for weight loss, assuming it was going to look ghetto, but it actually looks much better... it really looks much more supermoto-ish now. Not for everyone, but I like it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I don't have turn signals on now... I did a half ass bracket and don't like it... I will bend a proper one and install this weekend hopefully.

Here is about where I hacked in to the exhaust... the bend pipe is stock, just shortly and buffed with Scotchbright. You can also see the U bolt I am using for canister hanger... that is ghetto, but it is the most robust thing I could find. I am open to ideas on how to do that better outside of machining a clamp.

Also because the Wolf can I used was designed to clamp onto a 2-1/8 OD pipe I hacked a section off to use as a bridge and used RTV and two clamps... bad idea and I knew it. It didn't hold, developed a leak and I had to redo it by welding it in the stock Duc pipe. The ID necks down, but hopefully it doesn't affect flow that far back.

But inside is another story.... the weld penetrated deep and I have a bead inside the pipe. I would have ground it out but I don't have a grinding tool long enough that will fit (die grinder or whatever). It is ugly but when I find something to grind it with I will remove it. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and the best pic:

hard to believe there is that much junk on this thing that is not needed;)

Turntech battery just to stay in the contention for gratuitous pics of the week award:

·
Registered
865 Posts
At any rate, dropping all that stock crap is easy and a no brainer if you think it looks cleaner. You should be about 4% lighter/faster assuming you are about 200lbs. And that is a cheap 4%. whoo hoo.:cool:
I actually don't give a care about the thing I quoted or 4% power. I leave that to the motor mod lovers.... I just put have the 2 into 1 Termi on and thats all the engine mods I am doing... I'm only doing my wieght loss thing for flickability which this bike does pretty well already. But at 25-30 lbs of wieght removal that is quite substantial so I'm stoked. Even the 7 lbs from the battery was great.. I hefted 7lbs side to side in my arms and its heavy.

I just have the passenger pegs removal , and a subframe to make the final wieght difference. But subframe is too expensive.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cool pictures of you wieght loss material...

Here is the tail I made...no blinkers or big brake light on the bike anymore... I have a license plate with built in blinkers and brake lights. I made a bracket with aluminum. I've got to weigh this set up to see how much I saved. But it makes it great for track days, I just unscrew one bolt and nut and the license plate and bracket comes off...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cool pictures of you wieght loss material...

Here is the tail I made...no blinkers or big brake light on the bike anymore... I have a license plate with built in blinkers and brake lights. I made a bracket with aluminum. I've got to weigh this set up to see how much I saved. But it makes it great for track days, I just unscrew one bolt and nut and the license plate and bracket comes off...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually its Wilmars fault he put everything in grams (probably for accuracy)... then at the end say he lost 23 pounds...thats like speaking spanglish.
:D
Touche

I am accustomed to both metric and British units, and much prefer metric but know that many on this board are 'merkins so I translated it.
10.4 Kg or 23 lbs... and still have a Cat! Hell with a $500 Al subframe and $270 midpipe and I will be ~35lbs lopped off and done nothing that drastic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks Sharp!

got any pics with the plate? IMO it would be even better since it would hide some of the stuff in the tail.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
wieght loss

johnchypermotard
i took a dump and lost 12.7 lbs of weight ... that's good for at least 4 hp, 3 ft/lbs of torque and 6 secs a lap

vīdī

Me
I just stop eating sh!t food , went for a run , stop drinking like an OzzY last day on earth
best power gain yet.

Lost 13 kgs thats about 30 pound I think ?

worked for me
shanetbird

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, if you are carrying extra weight on yourself that is the best place to start with weight loss... makes no sense if you are a fatty to worry about a few lbs on the bike until you get yourself slimmed down.

I am a competitive cyclist and we are more obsessive about our body weight than a group of 14 year old girls at an eating disorder clinic. I carry that over to the moto I guess.:eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update, I sprung for the Arrow Headers to dump the cat and gain some more performance... terrible bang for the buck but what the hell.

FWIW, there are a couple posts talking about the Zard vs Arrow diameters, but I never saw anything of stock so;
Inlet ID (engine side): Stock.............Arrow
..............................1.390"............1.510"
Outlet ID:.................1.350"............1.670"

The stock output side was flared in from 1.390 down to 1.35" right at the tip, but is roughly 1.39" the whole way through to the cat.

The Arrow appears to be a true stepped header starting at 1.51" and then stepping up to 1.67", also the lengths measured seemed to be equal length. I am very pleased with the design as I was going to go cheap and Leo Vince, but didn't like how it was just Cat bypass... the Arrow appears to be made with an understanding of header theory, rather than same size as stock.

I have seen several posts, when searching this, claim that Arrow is same size as stock, but that is not true. Measure the ID (which is what matters!) and you will see the Arrow is larger than stock, and also stepped.

Anyway now for the weight loss(g):
Stock:
Cat with O2 sensor.................2725
Rear header Section................424
Front header Section...............808
Clamps..................................147
total.....................................4104

Arrow 2-1 pipe........................320
Arrow front pipe......................987
Arrow rear pipe.......................954
springs..................................30
O2 plug..................................6
total......................................2297
Net........................................1807

So I am up to 12.2Kg's or 27lbs off the bike!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts