Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am installing an Altrider rear rack on my 2012 Multistrada. It bolts onto the existing stock rack(?) without any additional reinforcement. Anyone have any idea how much weight it will safely support?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Owner's manual for my '13 states the following, overall and specific to the stock rack:
The maximum weight permitted for the side panniers, top case and the tank bag must never exceed 77 lb (35 kg), divided as follows:
22 lb (10 kg) max. per side pannier (1);
22 lb (10 kg) max. for the top case (2);
11 lb (5 kg) max. for the tank bag (3).​
Altrider should have included capacity information with their product, but if not, I'd recommend giving them a call/email just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Owner's manual for my '13 states the following, overall and specific to the stock rack:
The maximum weight permitted for the side panniers, top case and the tank bag must never exceed 77 lb (35 kg), divided as follows:
22 lb (10 kg) max. per side pannier (1);
22 lb (10 kg) max. for the top case (2);
11 lb (5 kg) max. for the tank bag (3).​
I read this and think to myself, "Oops."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, the top case is rated for 22 pounds. Does the top case mount only on the stock rack(with the four bolt holes) or does it have additional bracing?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I read this and think to myself, "Oops."
You and me both. My costco runs check in at 30lbs in the top case and 30 more in the oversize messenger bag. You'd think a 150# passenger would have less of an effect on handling, but nope. The outboard effects of the overloaded top case are genuinely scary and hazardous.

Mostly frozen food layered with eggs and large size meat packs. Props to the top case design though, it hold a shit ton of stuff.

·
Registered
818 Posts
So, the top case is rated for 22 pounds. Does the top case mount only on the stock rack(with the four bolt holes) or does it have additional bracing?
On my GT, the front of the stock rack mounts to the grab rails and the rear of the rack has braces that run under the seat on either side and attach to the subframe. The case then locks onto the rack with a quick-release latch system. The case itself has no extra bracing.

It's not clear to me if the weight ratings are based on overall load (specific to suspension/handling), rack capacity, or case/pannier capacity. FWIW, my stock top case has a 10kg warning label on the inside.

Irrespective of Ducati's guidance, IMHO, Altrider will give you the best answer for capacity specific to their rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts