Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally being able to get rid of leaky clutchslave, (thanks to Paul G at Ducati Designs for the new slave) I am still chasing down fluids weeping on the left side engine case below the stator/generator cover. It seems both, coolant and motor oil are weeping from between the generator cover and the engine case. I did have some weeping from the coolant hoses and have eliminated those sources by tightening down the clamps, but it appears I still have weepage coming from behind the generator cover. Same for motor oil, ie I torqued the case cover bolts to spec, they were loose, but still, oil's weeping through.

My question is, I took a look at the manual, and am wondering even if the water pump seal was leaking, would/could the coolant weep from that area as it seems it would be contained in the WP housing and drain into the sump. Two factors here: 1, it appears there is no coolant mixed in with the oil after the oil was drained; 2. the weeps apear "separate" ie coolant collects closer to the front of the engine case, oil to the rear of the engine case.

Any thoughts on this as I'm thinking I'll have to pull the generator cover at least to put some sealant between ther case and cover, and visualy inspect the WP seal, if that can be done without removing the WP.

TIA for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Have you checked the hoses, at the water pump, for a small fatigue crack or cut from a clamp? You may want to check it when the engine is hot to see a hose has a blister or pinhole leak.

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the hoses, at the water pump, for a small fatigue crack or cut from a clamp? You may want to check it when the engine is hot to see a hose has a blister or pinhole leak.

Hmm, I'll check the hoses again this weekend, never hurts to double check. Thanks.

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I had a chance to pull the alternator cover, and am satisfied there is no way for any coolant that may have wept from the water pump seal to stay uncontamintaed with motor oil and then weep past the cover onto the engine case. The coolant that was gathering on the engine case below the cover was not contaminated with oil and I'm now sure it must be from an exterior source, most likely a hose. I'll smear some sealant on the cover/case and hope that addresses the motor oil weepage.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Be sure to clean both surfaces well and check for any burs, try to not introduce any gouges on the surfaces. Spread the sealant evenly and tighten the cover evenly. As for the coolant leak, what about the water pump gasket? This area seems to develop a hard/crusty build-up which could possibly be a problem.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
FWIW, All the hose-clamp connections on the left side of the engine of the ST4S that I just purchased (8400 miles) were moist with coolant, and teltale signs of drooling was apparent. Tightening them up was the cure.

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be sure to clean both surfaces well and check for any burs, try to not introduce any gouges on the surfaces. Spread the sealant evenly and tighten the cover evenly. As for the coolant leak, what about the water pump gasket? This area seems to develop a hard/crusty build-up which could possibly be a problem.

Jerry
04 ST4s
The alternator cover, like the clutch cover, has no "gasket" from the factory, just a smear of sealant and will clean up easily, no need to scrape. The water pump gasket area seems okay/dry. I can't believe the amount of corrosion on the water pump housing's intake/exit pipes. They are very crusty to my surprise, and I'll give them a good cleaning up before refitting the hoses. My concern was the water pump seal may have been leaking, but that's not the case as best I can tell. New hoses may be in my future as well, as they seem to continually "shrink" and cause weepage, though I can't yet say for sure where the coolant was coming from. As long as it wasn't the water pump seal, I can live with a little weepage for now. :)

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW, All the hose-clamp connections on the left side of the engine of the ST4S that I just purchased (8400 miles) were moist with coolant, and teltale signs of drooling was apparent. Tightening them up was the cure.

They use worm/screw drive clamps on the rad hoses and if I can find large diameter "FI" type clamps I'll switch to them. New hoses may be the way to go at some point.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The alternator cover, like the clutch cover, has no "gasket" from the factory, just a smear of sealant and will clean up easily, no need to scrape. The water pump gasket area seems okay/dry. I can't believe the amount of corrosion on the water pump housing's intake/exit pipes. They are very crusty to my surprise, and I'll give them a good cleaning up before refitting the hoses. My concern was the water pump seal may have been leaking, but that's not the case as best I can tell. New hoses may be in my future as well, as they seem to continually "shrink" and cause weepage, though I can't yet say for sure where the coolant was coming from. As long as it wasn't the water pump seal, I can live with a little weepage for now. :)
Yes no gasket, but I feel that the old sealant should be removed from the surfaces before applying new sealant. I would never recommend scrapping, rather use a chemical remover (paint remover) just don't let it run or it will strip the finish on the cover. If you are certain that the water pump gasket is not leaking then leave it but you would be surprised to see how much of the same "corrosion" that you have seen around the intake/exhaust pipes builds up around the gasket area as well. The water pump cover can be very difficult to remove because the same "corrosion builds up around the dowel pins.

Jerry
04 ST4s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts