Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
Joined
·
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was another good valve check. I changed the oil a couple weeks ago to find the usual stuff: a couple harmless flakes on the oil screen and a drain plug magnet that really didn't need to be wiped off. In went more M1 15w-50 for another 6k.

The horizontal head closers were all pretty wide (0.007 to 0.008). The problem was that they all wanted a 3.35mm closer, all four of them. Guess which closer was missing from my shim kit? I think that having one 3.35 closer would have made me more crazy. I had two 3.40s, that both measured to 3.42mm, so there was a slight negative gap when I tried those. I think I might have had to change one closer on this motor in the five checks that I have done. It came with 9k on it and already set to LTs old specs of 0.004 / 0.006. So, I only had to swap those 0.006 openers when I installed it. I was a bit surprised to see these gaps had opened up, consistently at that.

The vert head was good to go. One opener was 0.003 and another was 0.005. Not worth dicking around with. All others were 0.004.

To cover my bases for the next service, I'm going to order two 3.35s and toss a coin, hoping the gap will widen to use my two 3.40s. Fun! Of course, they'll probably all want 3.40s. Hahaha!

Also, I found my first broken half ring since I bought the ST. Thankfully, I had a bunch of new spares and used ones from the old motor.

The iridium plugs are due today, so I should be commuting with it tomorrow. I just need to toque them and balance the TBs.


The other oddity. Being up 2psi on the PR4s, the front is now outlasting the rear by quite a bit. With the previous two sets, the front wore at the same rate or faster as the rear. I still have the last rear that is in good shape. I'm going to swap that on for the next little while.


All ready for motocamping this weekend. Woot!

Have a good one.
 

·
Mr Leakered
Joined
·
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to note that after many years of flexing from use and removal, the Powerlet cable to the starter was fraying. I've been thinking about getting a replacement for the past few years but never remembered to get a length measurement while in there. This time around, I thought about it some more and realized that there was some slack in the cable. So, my plan was to go to NAPA and have them crimp on a lug. It was late on Saturday afternoon, when I found that my local store doesn't do any shop work. They thankfully did have a 6ga lug. The ring in the lug was larger than the starter stud, but it fit just fine.

Heading home, I call a friend hoping that he had a large gauge crimper. No luck there. So, I used the crimp slot on my wire strippers to start it, then channel locks to finish it. Knowing that this wasn't the best crimping method, I grabbed my soldering iron and turned it up to max. After some heating, I got the solder to flux in and tin the lug and wire.

It's not pretty, but it ain't going anywhere.

Have a good one.
 

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top