Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake fluid, clutch fluid and coolant replaced over the weekend. Also turns out I have a K&N air filter. Guess they put that in when switching from the stock muffler to the Termignoni.

Waiting for my fork springs to come in and then will have the front and rear resprung when the dealer does the fork oil. New chain and sprockets will be here on Thursday and I’ll put those on this weekend.

Then I’ll be good on maintenance for a while.

Oh, also picked up a used shorty carbon fiber Pikes Peak windscreen to combat the buffeting and wind noise from the stock screen.

When you factor in all the labor I’m saving the sprocket/chain and windscreen were kinda free in a way. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Also turns out I have a K&N air filter. Guess they put that in when switching from the stock muffler to the Termignoni.
I'm fairly certain the high flow air filter is part of the full Termignoni install / up-map procedure.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm fairly certain the high flow air filter is part of the full Termignoni install / up-map procedure.
There's been a lot written about oiled renewable air filters vs. paper. Bottom line is oiled filters like K&Ns let significantly more crap through than paper. I don't have any links at hand, but some Googling will show you that this is not an insignificant difference. Everyone can make their own decision, but for me an extra 1hp (maybe) is not worth it... I'd rather have less particulates get into my engine so I will stick to the OEM filters. I haven't always thought this way, I had a K&N oiled filter on my last bike. I live in a dusty place, YMMV.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's been a lot written about oiled renewable air filters vs. paper. Bottom line is oiled filters like K&Ns let significantly more crap through than paper. I don't have any links at hand, but some Googling will show you that this is not an insignificant difference. Everyone can make their own decision, but for me an extra 1hp (maybe) is not worth it... I'd rather have less particulates get into my engine so I will stick to the OEM filters. I haven't always thought this way, I had a K&N oiled filter on my last bike. I live in a dusty place, YMMV.

I agree in principle. What about replacement mufflers like a full Termi system? Don’t they need more airflow or is that just marketing?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree in principle. What about replacement mufflers like a full Termi system? Don’t they need more airflow or is that just marketing?

I'm on the 'no oiled filter' bandwagon now too, for all the reasons discussed above. What I recall seeing in the flow data is that a good paper filter and an oiled filter flow about the same when new, a negligible difference. The paper filter gets dirty and reduces flow much faster and that's where the oiled filter holds the advantage. So what I do is just replace the paper filter twice as often now for peace of mind and ongoing optimal performance.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm on the 'no oiled filter' bandwagon now too, for all the reasons discussed above. What I recall seeing in the flow data is that a good paper filter and an oiled filter flow about the same when new, a negligible difference. The paper filter gets dirty and reduces flow much faster and that's where the oiled filter holds the advantage. So what I do is just replace the paper filter twice as often now for peace of mind and ongoing optimal performance.
Couldn't have said it better myself. More airflow is always good, but it's got to take a second seat to protecting your engine.

Ducati offers the Termi system as an OEM upgrade, but they DO NOT advocate the use of oiled filters... I don't believe any manufactures do. I would bet that the ECU map that ships with the factory Termi system assumes a stock air filter, but I do not know this for sure. Much as it pains me to spend $70 on a paper OEM Ducati filter I do it every year. As long as your paper filter isn't dirty any difference in airflow vs oiled is insignificant.

The reason oiled filters don't plug up as quickly is that they don't stop as many particulates from getting through to your engine. A more porous filter is going to plug up slower than a more effective less porous one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldn't have said it better myself. More airflow is always good, but it's got to take a second seat to protecting your engine.

Ducati offers the Termi system as an OEM upgrade, but they DO NOT advocate the use of oiled filters... I don't believe any manufactures do. I would bet that the ECU map that ships with the factory Termi system assumes a stock air filter, but I do not know this for sure. Much as it pains me to spend $70 on a paper OEM Ducati filter I do it every year. As long as your paper filter isn't dirty any difference in airflow vs oiled is insignificant.

The reason oiled filters don't plug up as quickly is that they don't stop as many particulates from getting through to your engine. A more porous filter is going to plug up slower than a more effective less porous one.

I just called and it’s $100 at my dealer.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I just called and it’s $100 at my dealer.

Ya. Ouch. One of the many costs of owning a high performance motorcycle... I just did an oil change and dropped $110 on Motul 300V oil...

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Ya. Ouch. One of the many costs of owning a high performance motorcycle... I just did an oil change and dropped $110 on Motul 300V oil...
Ouch is right. Your multi must be more high performance than mine. :laugh:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I went with Shell Advance from the dealer. Is Motul better?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Amsoil synthetic

I went with Shell Advance from the dealer. Is Motul better?

Hi all,

I also purchased from the Ducati dealer for my first oil change with they're Shell Advance...$$$ damn expensive!
Switched to Amsoil 10:40w this year ...nearly half the price and just as good IMO. I used to run that stuff in my HD and it was great :)

My 2 cents
Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts