Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Weather?? What weather?? (SF road trip...pics)

Time to hit the road with the Streetfighter.

This past weekend we headed over to South Lake Tahoe after making reservations a few weeks ago. We moved here to the Bay Area a little over a year ago and this was going to be our first time there. The weather looked like it would be great. This is what it was leading up to the Sunday when we were going to be getting there:

As the day drew closer, we saw that the weather was calling for some rain on, and ONLY on, the day after we got into town. Whatever…we'd deal with it if it really came and hoped that the forecast would change. No matter what, I wanted to ride there. Then things got interesting. As the day drew closer, the forecast started calling for rain/snow showers, but again, just on Monday. I figured, no problem as long as it was after we were there. Checking the forecast the day before we were to leave showed the same as before so we decided to just go on the bikes. We did, and here is how it went:

Filling up on the way there:

Stop along the way:

Took 88 to get there and stopped at Cook's to grab a bite. At this point the weather couldn't have been better:

Started getting a little colder and….wait a second….is that FU&%ING SNOW still on the ground??? (I'm from Miami).
This area was fine....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So anyway, the SF didn't freeze and crumble like a brittle piece of ice and we had an awesome ride. We get to the hotel and checked in. When we get to the valet area they told us they would charge us $18/day for each bike. I asked what it costs for a car and they said $26/day. ME: "So in other words, I'm going to park 2 bikes in one spot but you're going to charge me more for the same space?". Valet guy: "Yes". I asked them to run it by their manager and no luck. Pretty crappy deal if you ask me. In the end, I knew I was going to want the bikes in the garage so I sucked it up and took it like a man. Or at least a man in prison.

At least I got my money's worth:

We went up to the room and dropped our gear there and headed back out since we didn't know what tomorrow would bring.
It was late and we only made it halfway past Emerald Bay:

Was getting dark so we headed back and stopped at an italian place for dinner. Good food and an outdoor patio, pretty much right next to the bikes...always a plus.

Here's what happens when I leave my wife alone for a minute during dinner:

Back at the hotel parking garage (guess this is what they do with the old carpet):

There was a supermarket across the street so we went to grab a few snacks. I was mesmerized by how everything gets all puffed up from the altitude. I was laughing like an idiot at all this (even took video and sent it to a friend). I asked the stock-guy about it and he said sometimes over half the bags in a box come already busted open from the pressure:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next day we woke up to rain....and COLD. We obviously weren't going anywhere on the bikes, so we rented a car for the day. We headed, again, towards Emerald Bay (towards the west side of the lake).
The rain started like more or less like this:

And as we went further up and west, it turned into THIS :eek:

To make things worse, it was already down to 32 degrees, which as I learned from school (and not FROM the Miami weather), that's when water freezes ;). Not a good combination with all the rain on the ground. So this time we didn't even make it as far as we did on the bikes the day before. BUT, we did get some pictures!!!

(how the hell do you work this damn thing!!!)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We did all of this on the bikes the day before so it wasn't for not:

Saw this fence on the way back:

What else would you want for a day on a slippery mountain side but a 2-wheel drive bright red mini-van???

After our little outing we headed to grab a snack, wandered around town a bit more then back to the hotel for dinner at a place called Kalani's. Really good food if you're ever in town.

So I think it's obvious by now that I'm not a fan and pretty much scared shitless of the cold and snow. So that leads us to the next day. The weather was calling for rain in the morning, temperatures in the 30's with the sun coming out for a short window of time around mid-day. Our best chance to get out was going to be around 1 o'clock. We headed out at that time and it was Fu#$ing cold. At one point the temp gauge on my SF read 34 degrees. We both were able to suit up for that, but neither one of us had cold weather gloves. So that was the only weak link. And yes, I'm lucky; The wife is tough and takes all this without complaining and actually enjoys it as much as I do. With that being said, other than having extremely cold hands, we were fine. The weather held up except for a short 3-minute rain shower. Warmer temperatures as we made our way down from elevation was appreciated.

We stopped in Placerville for lunch at "Brick's". Good food and the waiter (from Australia) was a great guy.
View of the bikes from the window:

Made it home, unloaded the bikes and that's pretty much it. So to make a long story short, the Streetfighter and Monster did great in these conditions. Even with the weather, it was still a great trip. Funny how these things are what make a trip memorable. Can't wait for our big trip coming up in August.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey gp1152, welcome to the bay area. Nice photos - what camera were you using?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey gp1152, welcome to the bay area. Nice photos - what camera were you using?
Thanks. I'm using a Nikon D7000 with a 17-55 f/2.8 lens which I carry in the tank-bag you see in the pictures. I also have in there an extra lens and the pouch you see pictured (for cables and misc items):

The padding is from a Lowepro bag which I gutted a few years back. Some of the pictures are with the iPhone. Surprising what a little tweaking after the fact will do to those.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey GP, what is that tail bag you are using?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya I signed up for that too. No word yet on when it's happening though .

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
That a very nice report, thanks! Great pictures. You guys are definitely troopers. Im frozen by 44* in my gear, and much happier around 55-60. :) Its too bad spring time in the mountains is so unpredicatable weaterwise. Tahoe would be so awesome with nice roads. Its so cool your wife is totally into it. My wife is too, but I can see not to the extent of yours. We are headed to Carmel and Big Sur for the next 5 days, and taking the bikes. Thats south of you like 2 hours, and Im already praying for sunny dayz...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That a very nice report, thanks! Great pictures. You guys are definitely troopers. Im frozen by 44* in my gear, and much happier around 55-60. :) Its too bad spring time in the mountains is so unpredicatable weaterwise. Tahoe would be so awesome with nice roads. Its so cool your wife is totally into it. My wife is too, but I can see not to the extent of yours. We are headed to Carmel and Big Sur for the next 5 days, and taking the bikes. Thats south of you like 2 hours, and Im already praying for sunny dayz...
Yeah, we were told that September is a really good time to go there to Tahoe. These days HAVE been nice there. Just the luck of the draw for us I guess.

That Carmel/Big Sur ride is one we've done a bunch of times. Very nice. Definitely better on a weekday though. Weekends are pretty busy. One of our favorites is the ride just north of Point Reyes Station towards tomales and bodega bay. Very little traffic, great roads and OYSTERS at The Marshall Store. good stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah, we were told that September is a really good time to go there to Tahoe. These days HAVE been nice there. Just the luck of the draw for us I guess.

That Carmel/Big Sur ride is one we've done a bunch of times. Very nice. Definitely better on a weekday though. Weekends are pretty busy. One of our favorites is the ride just north of Point Reyes Station towards tomales and bodega bay. Very little traffic, great roads and OYSTERS at The Marshall Store. good stuff.
Glad to hear from you man! Very nice trip you had btw...

Want to hit HW1 for oysters again this Sunday? I am available - let me know. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
GP1152, great ride report. We are located in Sacramento, not too far from you. Where is your big trip in August to? Scott and myself have started the West Coast Meetup thread and that will take place in Cambria September 14-16. Check it out and hopefully you and your wife can make it. I seem to be the only woman who rides at these events. Would be nice to see your wife there too. Maybe we can meet up for a weekend ride sometime too. We are always down in your area.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/137152-official-west-coast-meetup-thread-2012-a.html

·
Registered
269 Posts
How clean your bike is during and after a road trip makes me feel like I'm sorely neglecting my bike... haha

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GP1152, great ride report. We are located in Sacramento, not too far from you. Where is your big trip in August to? Scott and myself have started the West Coast Meetup thread and that will take place in Cambria September 14-16. Check it out and hopefully you and your wife can make it. I seem to be the only woman who rides at these events. Would be nice to see your wife there too. Maybe we can meet up for a weekend ride sometime too. We are always down in your area.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-duca...official-west-coast-meetup-thread-2012-a.html
Hi Jessica. We're headed to Victoria, B.C. and back. Here's the thread. Can't wait.
Would love to meet up with you guys. We ride quite a bit. We went to Mendocino for the weekend a few weeks back and that was great. Lot of options around here.
We'll definitely look into the meetup. That's shortly after we come back so schedule permitting, we'll try to make it. Otherwise let us know whenever you guys are around or when you'd like to meet up. I'm sure the misses would love to meet a fellow female rider as well ;)

Sent from my

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How clean your bike is during and after a road trip makes me feel like I'm sorely neglecting my bike... haha
My wife thought I was crazy for washing them before.
Her: "but, we're leaving town on the bikes in a few days"
Me: "yeah and they're going to look spotless while we're doing so!!"

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 19 of 19 Posts