Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
* Note - OP's bike has been discharging high voltage to the engine block and starter for hours while troubleshooting - with the CA Cycle coils and plug wires in place. Not too hard for me to believe something got fried, hopefully just the plug wires.

So start with the OEM set of coils and plugs, they are still working and the discharge of electricity appears to be gone for now. We don' know if the igniters or their wires took a hit, that's next.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No I am using new wires and caps. Like I said, with the stock coils, I get a pretty strong spark (8mm gap at least). I appear to have fuel/air but I need to check some of the FCR setup. I'll talk to the CA-cycleworks guys about the coils but will stick with the stock ones for now. Will check timing.

Will also try starting fluid if still no luck after all the above. I should not need starting fluid.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Starting fluid might just prime the carbs enough to overcome some blockage. If you have not turned any of the screws on the FCR's nor split the rack on them, it should be close enough to fire. If you can see any spark on the plugs that will be enough for fuel or starting fluid if it happens at the right time.

I know you mentioned this, but it seems like the igniters are switched. If the only thing you did to start this trouble was replace coils I have to suspect the wiring in that area. The igniters are just not firing at the right time but they will let you see a spark.

You were in the left side for the starter? Did you remove the flywheel? Does anyone know if there is a way to put the flywheel in wrong? So that the pickup sensor is in the wrong position?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just looked at 2 flywheels for a 91 900SS. Is it possible to install it incorrectly I would say yes it is splined not keyed, but they do have markings on them that should line up with marks elsewhere. So if all markings are lined up where they should be you should be fine--but if you get it off by 1 set of spline's it should not work correctly

21 - 24 of 24 Posts