Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
* Note - OP's bike has been discharging high voltage to the engine block and starter for hours while troubleshooting - with the CA Cycle coils and plug wires in place. Not too hard for me to believe something got fried, hopefully just the plug wires.

So start with the OEM set of coils and plugs, they are still working and the discharge of electricity appears to be gone for now. We don' know if the igniters or their wires took a hit, that's next.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No I am using new wires and caps. Like I said, with the stock coils, I get a pretty strong spark (8mm gap at least). I appear to have fuel/air but I need to check some of the FCR setup. I'll talk to the CA-cycleworks guys about the coils but will stick with the stock ones for now. Will check timing.

Will also try starting fluid if still no luck after all the above. I should not need starting fluid.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Starting fluid might just prime the carbs enough to overcome some blockage. If you have not turned any of the screws on the FCR's nor split the rack on them, it should be close enough to fire. If you can see any spark on the plugs that will be enough for fuel or starting fluid if it happens at the right time.

I know you mentioned this, but it seems like the igniters are switched. If the only thing you did to start this trouble was replace coils I have to suspect the wiring in that area. The igniters are just not firing at the right time but they will let you see a spark.

You were in the left side for the starter? Did you remove the flywheel? Does anyone know if there is a way to put the flywheel in wrong? So that the pickup sensor is in the wrong position?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I just looked at 2 flywheels for a 91 900SS. Is it possible to install it incorrectly I would say yes it is splined not keyed, but they do have markings on them that should line up with marks elsewhere. So if all markings are lined up where they should be you should be fine--but if you get it off by 1 set of spline's it should not work correctly

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did not remove flywheel. If igniters are swapped that will be strange. I replaced the coils one at a time. Plus the igniter wires are actually not long enough to be switched unless I rerouted them, which I didn't. I can easily check the timing and see if they are firing at the right time. Or I can just switch them and see if things are improved. I can go back to the original plug wires and caps but since I am getting spark I don't think that is the problem.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
So you are getting spark with the new NGK wires but only the original old coils - Ok

Those matters settled, or at least those items were not messed with since it was running last, then it is back to fuel starvation. We can make the assumption for the moment that none of these other elements have failed. BTW, I asked if you had a Lithium battery and requested that you charge a normal battery fully overnight - but I don't see that you confirmed this.

It would sure help if you had an inline clear fuel filter in the fuel hose after the "Y" connector going to the carbs. You need to see it bubbling fuel through there as you run the starter.

Another way to test fuel supply is to disconnect the fuel hose at the carb, put out your cigarette and point the hose into a large container. Some gas should be coming out slowly. Now turn on the key, you should hear the fuel pump come on and immediately see a dramatic increase through the hose into the container. If you think it is flowing fast enough to drain all 3 gallons from a full tank in about 3-4 minutes, then stop the test. You will have sufficient fuel pressure. That means the problem is in the carbs somewhere, either fuel or air.

To repeat - I realize you said you can smell gas in the exhaust and spark plug hole, but is it enough? Starting fluid of any amount is enough, but you can still be starved of ordinary fuel enough to keep it from starting. Also, if that fuel is old, continue the test to drain the tank so you can put in fresh gas.

And if the fuel test fails, the pump barely increases the flow, ah - now we know the problem is in the tank, either pump, screen, filter, petcock valve or hoses.

Don't be discouraged, there are still some options to try on what is in the end a very simple system. Get basics tested and documented first before looking at the weird. (like an abandoned squirrel's nest in the headers, oh that one was fun)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes new wires, new caps, new plugs - spark with old coils, not with new. Spark seems strong enough. Should be able to spark an adequate fuel mixture if timing is not way off. I got some starter fluid and will also try that.

Yes battery is new and fully charged.

I will put in an inline fuel filter to verify flow. I have loosened the float bowl drain plugs and gas runs out so I know fuel is at least getting to the bowls. I'll do as you suggest though to see if I am getting good flow. I'll also drain and replace the gas since I no longer remember how old it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Starter fluid got it started and it is running great. Need to take it out for a ride, check the plugs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great, no problems. Ran really well. Did not get a chance to check plugs yet. We are near the Grizzly Creek fire in Colorado and have been a bit occupied the last week or so.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts