Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, still new to Ducati and trying to understand what is 'normal' and what could be a symptom for a weak battery. Bike is under batter tender when in garage, but it might have sat at the dealer in consignment for a few months. My only point of reference is BMW and GS which seemed to crank up faster.

I took the video of a cold start. Bike was on battery tender prior to starting and tested fine.

What do you guys think? Normal? (sorry for the shaky video) :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Completely normal and actually pretty good. Mine can take multiple tries to start if its been sitting a while and cold, even when using a battery tender. I had a chat about it with the sales manager at my local dealer. He's owned Ducatis and serviced them and he uses a lithium ion battery in his bike. He's said it makes a big difference starting. BTW he wasn't trying to sell me anything, just giving his opinion. They're a lot more expensive but probably worth it with Ducatis. I'll be getting one when my battery starts getting too bad. Check this out: The Lowdown On Lithium Batteries | MC GARAGE

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put a lithium ion battery in one of my other bikes and yes, it spins the engine much quicker. It was quite a bit more expensive than the lead acid replacement, but it should last longer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yup, from 2-valve supersport and hyper to 4-valve multi. That was pretty fast. It does seem to take longer as valve clearances get out of spec.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Normal....my new 18 multi is always on a tender and it always seems like the starter turns the motor over kind of slow. Bike always starts though.....

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
The weak link in starting on the MTS has always been batterycables. Replace with thicker and the startups are faster and surer.

Yours actually sounded pretty fast for a Ducati.
I´ve seen new biokes crank 2-3 seconds before lighting up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The weak link in starting on the MTS has always been batterycables. Replace with thicker and the startups are faster and surer.
Totally agree. Did both mods to my Multi and Diavel.
Lithium Battery also helped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2018 1260 S and it always cold or hot seems to struggle the first few revolutions. A friend and I rode in the Alps last year and both bikes did the same. The tour guides said all the Ducatis were like this.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Ok, still new to Ducati and trying to understand what is 'normal' and what could be a symptom for a weak battery. Bike is under batter tender when in garage, but it might have sat at the dealer in consignment for a few months. My only point of reference is BMW and GS which seemed to crank up faster.

I took the video of a cold start. Bike was on battery tender prior to starting and tested fine.

What do you guys think? Normal? (sorry for the shaky video) :)

https://youtu.be/ugfIJJOCCHk
Normal... I did buy the heavy cables (which were a bit of a pita to install) and the bike sounds EXACTLY the same cranking but it does start more reliably and faster so I think they make a bit of a difference even on DVT bikes (which have better cables than the earlier 1200's according to some).

Nice to hear a Multi cranking... mine has been sleeping since November - but soon - VERRRRY soon...

·
Registered
725 Posts
My dealer agreed to change the boxed unused Yuasa lead acid battery for an AntiGravity Lithium Ion with re-start technology prior to PDI and delivery of my new Ducati Multistrada. Just paid the difference in price. The re-start feature prevents the battery from draining beyond the low voltage threshold. Consequently, it will go into sleep mode while holding a charge to start the bike when awaken. On this note for extreme cold starting, lithium batteries need to wake-up with an active draw such as turning-on the headlights for 30s or so prior to pressing the start button.
The battery weighs only 3 lbs (vs 9 lbs for the OEM Yuasa) and this big boy has 480 CCA (vs OEM 210 CCA). Ok, 6 lbs savings is not that much but heck, it's located at the top of the bike. Besides, I already paid a king's ransom for the lighter Pikes Peak edition. I'll give it a boo and report later, especially on the cold start.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/at12bs-hd-rs/

Attachments

28 Posts
Hi guys, I do realize this thread is a couple months old but we just recently came on as site sponsors and wanted to make sure and let those of you know who might still be looking at lithium as an option about our post in our vendor section. Please also feel free to reach out to us with any questions you might have on lithium options.
-Chad

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/641-antigravity-lithium-batteries/721673-25-off-select-ducati-antigravity-re-start-batteries-w-free-shipping.html?highlight=antigravity

·
Registered
725 Posts
@chad-ANTIGRAVITYLITHIUMBATTERIES

Good to have you here. I purchased two of your LI batteries. One on my previous Panigale which I traded last fall just following installation. Really didn't have a chance to test it.
However, I just picked-up a new Multistrada where my dealer agreed to upgrade the stock Yuasa for a 480CA Antigravirty. No issues so far but I only have been riding the bike for a couple of weeks. Notwithstanding, I don't expect any issues. When will the remote for the re-start feature be available?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts