Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally go for a ride on weekends (if the weather is good) in the mornings, I leave home usually no later then 7am.
Today i left @ 9am, First mistake. On the way to the servo to fill up and check the tire pressure, a car turned straight in front of me,,, i broke hard and hit the rear passages side door. No damage to me or the bike but left a dent and tire mark in his door. He did not see me !!!!
On the way back from bald hill along the coast another car pulled out and just stopped (this all happened along the part of the road that is single lane and on a bend and no way to go around either side of the car) THEN she decided to reverse.
I think i must of got up to about 15kl-m's per hour backwards while holding the horn button down. My little legs must of been a blurr back peddling that fast. After about 30 meters she saw me. And did a u turn as other cars where rounding the bend coming the other way. Of course they went around the car that started all this, on the wrong side of the road JUST missing me.
I was thinking "thats twice. I got to get home before number three takes me out" I am not that superstitious, but I did not wont to take the chance..
Well I ALMOST made it........ A bloke walking a dog on the foot path was the only moving living thing between me and my drive way. The dog must love the sound of Ducati's that much that he wonted to ride mine or he just hates me. As i hit the dog and the ground all i could think of was Thats number three.
P.S not too much damage just a broken left foot peg, small scratchers on the muffler, rear view mirror and clutch pot.. the dog ended up with bruises and the smart ass'ed dog owner knows what it feels like to be head butted with a motorbike helmet.
I am sure that we all ride among fools. I just meet most of them in 1 hour today.
Nev

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I know what you mean. Its a combat zone out there. Near-misses damn near daily (usually caused by a soccer mom sending a text message while driving...I've writen two state senators about this). Good on ya for the head butt. It's bad enough that we have to watch out for people, but their animals too. Wildlife in the road I can understand, they provide their own set of near misses. I even saw a guy damn near dump at a high rate of speed after hitting an alligator snapping turtle and another damn near had a wild turkey...and I'm not talking about the 101 proof kind either.

Just more reasons to get out early before the church crowd lets out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
At least you can still tell a good story. :cool: Hope you get the bike back up quick.

Has anyone else noticed the voodoo that's happening to forum members lately? Not quite bad juju, more like funny juju. Flying dogs attacking bikes, power drills going crazy and cutting through exhausts, a Sport 1000 pinned in a guardrail on the first day, having been bought from a guy that had a Monster Truck drive over his 916 on *its* first day, 22 years earlier ...

What is going on? Is it the stars? Is it the Mayan calendar starting to run out?

·
Registered
118 Posts
A very appropriate saying Nev, fools indeed. Glad to here you didn't hurt yourself and hope your future rides (no doubt commencing before 0700 from now on) are much less eventful!

Cheers

g.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
What is going on? Is it the stars? Is it the Mayan calendar starting to run out?
Its the anniversary the Austrian sabotage causing the sinking of the Italian battleship Leonardo da Vinci in Taranto in 1916, World War I.

Screw it, I'm going riding anyway.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Man I got a new multi to break in.

Maybe I had better go fishing instead. That is like watching of those movies where your time is up and everything is trying to kill you.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
nevb -

If you know who the dog owner is, make his homeowner's insurance pay for your bike damage. A lot of people don't realize that the pet owner is responsible for this kind of stuff, and that his homeowner's insurance will cover it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Spezjag,

You beat me to the punch. I was going to say the same thing. He might not be so agreeable after you head butted him. Just denie it and have your insurance company subjugate for you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It must be a saturday thing...

I was out yesterday and an ass coming toward me decided no to turn left in the left hand turn only lane (didn't really affect me). The guy behind him decided that since idiocy was the theme in that lane, he would decide to turn from behind that truck that was properly blocking his view. Luckily, he saw me and only made it half way into the lane and I was able to scoot between his headlight and the car to my right.

Sad to say, but it makes me hate to ride my bike sometimes. My uncle lost his right leg (calf down) last october in the exact same situation. Luckily that was his only injury and he got "back on the horse" after he learned to walk again, but it scares the shit out of you.

Glad to hear your ok.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Got to be a weekend thing. I tend to ride on week days because my job allows it and because of too many close calls with line crossing cagers and cell phone SUV's going to the ice cream parlor types. Hope you and the bike are OK.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is the world which we have chosen to live. It is frustrating, upsetting and life threatening which is perhaps why riders (except angry insecure harley riders and clueless wannabees) acknowledge one another on the road.

There are two intense feelings while riding....the first is the soul-fulfilling of being on two wheels...the other is the anxiety and stress of being on full-alert status for the duration of your ride. No wonder I'm so drained after some serious saddle time.

Hope for the best and be prepared for the worse.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, that is ridiculously unlucky! I've had days like that and it certainly lends to a kind of misanthropic outlook when you're on the bike. I can't say that's a bad thing either: having had an old lady pull out a parking lot directly in front of me while minding my own business and traveling 35mph (on my old bike) and the wonderful experience of unassisted flight over her hood and landing 40 feet away, I now pretty much expect every single person around me to pull the absolute most ridiculous maneuver possible at any given time.

Sorry for your troubles man, I hope everything gets sorted with the dog walker...

This is the world which we have chosen to live. It is frustrating, upsetting and life threatening which is perhaps why riders (except angry insecure harley riders and clueless wannabees) acknowledge one another on the road.
I like how you stated that...I never thought about it before but the universal wave IS sort of like a salute to another combatant in this crazy battlefield of the road. I imagine military messengers having had a similar acknowledgment when passing each other in a combat zone.

And incidentally, it cracks me up the way the Harley guys are too cool. I'll usually wave even though I think their bikes are overpriced, aesthetically offensive, anti-performance turds, not to mention their overall cookie-cutter cliched style, and I'd say 75% of the time around here they just look straight ahead and ignore you as they pass. Always makes me chuckle and shake my head. It must be taxing to maintain that level of stoic cool all the time... :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the well wishes, but they are not needed on me,(not yet anyway) I'm fine and the bike will be 100% ...All it will take is $64 Aus for a left hand riders side foot peg, $0.61c for the rubber tube from the clutch pot to the leaver and 2 hours sanding and painting the bar end mirrors (only one got damaged but try matching black paint!!!!!) and polishing a couple of small scraches out of the muffler and all is well.

cheers
Nev
P.S I don’t bother with the dog owner as I was more than happy with the hurt he recived as payment, (I did head but him! with my helmet on):D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sorry to hear of your grief, NevB. Stikes a chord with many of us I'm sure. They're not just fools, they're homicidal maniacs, and I don't see much difference between being threatened with a loaded gun or being threatened with a ton and a half of automobile. I've had multiple compund fractures twice, but it could easily have been many more times, with morons coming through red lights, give way signs and roundabouts, soo many near misses.

A few years ago a bloke was cruising on the outskirts of Murgon (Queensland) on his Harley. It was dusk, and he didn't see a huge steer until it was too late. Bike written off, serious personal injury PLUS the courts made him pay the farmer for the dead beast!!! I believe that the law in this state has now changed, and if the owner of an animal can't keep it off a public road, then he/she is liable for any damage caused. Sometimes the law is an ass (or a bum steer).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK Nev. I know the feeling mate, you can go weeks or even months without incident and then all it takes is one weekend and a few twats to get you back on alert again. I almost ran up the arse of a Sunday driver after exiting a blind corner on the weekend, I swear the dick was doing about 40 in a 100 zone, big lockup but all was good. A mate on his R1 behind me locked up as well, he was right on my hammer when it happened.

We just waved our fists and tooted him - fark my horn sounds pathetic and I really must do something about it.

Stay upright fellas :cool:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
We just waved our fists and tooted him - fark my horn sounds pathetic and I really must do something about it.

Stay upright fellas :cool:
I wish they made a horn that sounded like an AK-47 or something. Or perhaps and air horn like that of big trucks, but in a small package.

Nev, you are my hero for delivering the head butt. I'm sure that was more satisfying than having the $60 in your pocket.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts