Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well,
It is different. I"m not one to fight change, if said change is for the better. I embrace change as a normal approach to my professional life.

That said, I can see some real positives to the new system. It loads miles faster than the old one, and it seems like pictures load faster too.....but I still don't care for the layout.

It isn't because it's new. It's because it feels uninviting. Cold. Impersonal. It's like the old neighborhood got a facelift, but not an easily likeable one.

Personally, I find it busy in appearance, and just....well.....commercialized versus the appearance of the old forum. I may yet get used to it, it isn't like I have a choice there.

In the interests of preserving all the information on a more stable and swifter functioning platform, I feel it's a worthwhile move forward. Can we do that, and look back for a more hospitable looking home page?

I feel like I'm looking at a word document at work with a a whole bunch of busyness around the edges.........sean

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,447 Posts
What I don't like:
No option to change text colours or sizes on posts and replys.
No delete button on post edit.
The emoticons are different and not as good as the old ones.
And the site crashed yesterday blaming the fact it's cloud based,
(must have been too windy at that time)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
davy.j you do bring up a couple of valid points and I am going to ask the peeps that run the site about those questions.

·
7,447 Posts
davy.j you do bring up a couple of valid points and I am going to ask the peeps that run the site about those questions.

Also where is the unlike button?
It's sometimes necessary for when an OP subsequently adds to a post after likes are added if the tone or substance of the original post changes.

·
Excel Addict
5,079 Posts
Seriously man ... get over it. This situation is no different than if you were to become a member to a new forum. In fact, there is far more instructional ~use of functions~ tutorial now than there was with the old system. WAY more. I find it to be very surprising that some folks are throwing their diaper over the upgrade. Alienating? Really? So you're willing to shitcan the relationships you forged over a format change? Pretty self centered rather than alienating. There are nearly 80,000 members here, I'm not sure that anyone will really notice your absence if you leave.

I learned my way around the new format inside of a half an hour. 30 lousy minutes. At least put in a little effort. It won't even hurt, not even a little tiny bit ... I promise!

You'll be back ... you know you will ... and I know you will.

:)
Rex - I am just guessing you have recently retired and now have shitloads of time to share wisdom.

Here is something I just posted and BTW I know computers, data analysis, AFR, ECUs etc. etc.
The main thing I do not know nor want to know is carburettors.

"Prior to this web site being totally fucked that would have been quite simple to point you to relevant threads and even other web sites.
I could have simply used my bookmarks or whatever to guide you.
Now this site is totally screwed it is no longer easy nor amenable to do that.
I hate this new format or whatever someone wants to call it.
Too hard, too stupid, not intuitive, dumb layout, crap on the right hand side, have to click shit I did not have to before etc. etc.
Now via my Mobile phone/cell phone I am getting ads that I never had before = bullshit!"

·
7,447 Posts
So continue to run your publicly-facing forum on a decade-old vBulletin platform, sounds like a reasonable alternative. Something tells me OP has never had to administer a forum before...
I'd be perfectly happy with the new format (now I run it in dark mode) as long as the issues I've previously mentioned back in this thread are addressed.
If existing functons are not available in the new model then that's not progress is it ?

·
7,447 Posts
Please don't do this! Turns forums into tribal hellholes.
Just asking as the old format had one as and I've explained before if an OP subsequently adds something to his original post that changes the context then the unlike button is a necessary evil.
Sounds like you don't understand how it works... it doesn't show up as a negative comment, simply removes the like symbol from a post.

Personally I railed against the like button when they first introduced it simply to save bandwith by people posting +1 posts.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just asking as the old format had one as and I've explained before if an OP subsequently adds something to his original post that changes the context then the unlike button is a necessary evil.
Sounds like you don't understand how it works... it doesn't show up as a negative comment, simply removes the like symbol from a post.

Personally I railed against the like button when they first introduced it simply to save bandwith by people posting +1 posts.
Honestly I don't recall exactly but I think it used to work like this...If someone posted something and someone gave it a like then later the poster changes it, there was a message at the bottom that it was changed (timestamped) and ALL the likes were automatically nuked. Seems fair. You really shouldn't even have to do anything about it, should happen without the 'liker' doing anything.

I thought you were asking for a "negative reputation" thing, those exist and suck. I do agree that if someone likes your post then you change it, your likes for that post should be erased. Some other slag comes round and likes it after the edit, that be on them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Any of you on any other forum? A few that I’m on are now the same format. It’s designed to incorporate as much paid advertisement as possible, and has nothing to do with the ease of use or any improvement in accessibility, but I suppose I don’t need to mention that. I guess my point is that, it’s what it is, unless we all want to go back to the spirit of what Internet forums were (meaning create an independent site that is not monetized).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Any of you on any other forum? A few that I’m on are now the same format. It’s designed to incorporate as much paid advertisement as possible, and has nothing to do with the ease of use or any improvement in accessibility, but I suppose I don’t need to mention that. I guess my point is that, it’s what it is, unless we all want to go back to the spirit of what Internet forums were (meaning create an independent site that is not monetized).
Are you paying $ to be here? I hate ads too, but unless someone is volunteering to fund a forum pro-bono for the love of it, your SOL.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I’m going to let the folks here know when something doesn’t work right or could possibly be made more convenient, just in case they are keeping track and feel like doing something about it. I don’t pay to be here so imo it is what it is. If it gets better as time goes on, that’s great. I don’t know my way around it well enough yet to be comfortable. I don’t mind the ads, they’re paying the light bill. Am I mistaken or is there no New Threads list ? I’ll miss that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Am I mistaken or is there no New Threads list ? I’ll miss that.
If you go to the top of the page, on the right hand side next to your mini avatar there are 3 vertical elipses. Click there, and the top of the list is "What's New". Works pretty much the same as the old New Threads function. Once you click, and the list is displayed, there are more options at the top of the list.......sean

21 - 37 of 37 Posts